LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #31
GazL
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 5,156
Blog Entries: 18

Rep: Reputation: 2849Reputation: 2849Reputation: 2849Reputation: 2849Reputation: 2849Reputation: 2849Reputation: 2849Reputation: 2849Reputation: 2849Reputation: 2849Reputation: 2849

I think what makes it look ugly is the fact that because the information is placed/wrapped to the right of the Tags section, the report/quote/tags buttons are no longer aligned with each other.

IMO, It'd look a lot tidier if the information was moved to it's own line below the existing layout, in a similar way to how the thanks are done.

(viewing with Opera here, I don't know whether the same occurs under firefox).
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #32
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazL View Post
I think what makes it look ugly is the fact that because the information is placed/wrapped to the right of the Tags section, the report/quote/tags buttons are no longer aligned with each other.

IMO, It'd look a lot tidier if the information was moved to it's own line below the existing layout, in a similar way to how the thanks are done.

(viewing with Opera here, I don't know whether the same occurs under firefox).
Agreed. And yes, it is the same with Firefox.

FWIW, I think the Blue Thumb can be removed, and either the Thanks count increase with 'yes' votes, or it can be completely removed, as well.

Cheers
 
Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #33
druuna
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,532
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2393Reputation: 2393Reputation: 2393Reputation: 2393Reputation: 2393Reputation: 2393Reputation: 2393Reputation: 2393Reputation: 2393Reputation: 2393Reputation: 2393
Hi,

With all these new addition, something should definitely be done about the layout.

Take a look at 2 screenshots I made.

The first one (lq.current.png) is the current situation, the second (lq.clean.png) is what I see at home (done with addsweep, I'm still happy that GrapefruiTgirl pointed this out to me).

Tastes may differ, but one must agree that the second one is a lot easier on the eyes.......

The only thing I cannot get rid of is the Thanked: XXX in the left bar :-)

Last edited by druuna; 10-02-2010 at 05:00 AM.
 
Old 11-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #34
titanium_geek
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2002
Location: Melbourne Australia
Distribution: it died/ macosx
Posts: 2,478

Rep: Reputation: 50
Jeremy, the "users have found this post helpful" is confusing, and looks like we're talking about the post that bar floats near.

TG
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #35
TheIndependentAquarius
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,680
Blog Entries: 29

Rep: Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918
Quote:
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Today while reading some response to a technical problem I found it to be useful, but I accidentally clicked 'no' due to mouse problems. I could'nt find any way to re-vote the post !! Will it not be better if the members do have a choice of re-considering their desicion regarding voting.

Last edited by TheIndependentAquarius; 11-27-2009 at 12:36 AM.
 
Old 11-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #36
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 13,002

Rep: Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanium_geek View Post
Jeremy, the "users have found this post helpful" is confusing, and looks like we're talking about the post that bar floats near.

TG
Does anyone else find the new wording confusing? The box is completely outside of any post, and "this post" is a link to a different post.

--jeremy
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #37
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 13,002

Rep: Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730
Quote:
Originally Posted by anishakaul View Post
Today while reading some response to a technical problem I found it to be useful, but I accidentally clicked 'no' due to mouse problems. I could'nt find any way to re-vote the post !! Will it not be better if the members do have a choice of re-considering their desicion regarding voting.
We don't plan on allowing you to change your vote at this time, but we'll keep it in mind for a future enhancement.

--jeremy
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #38
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 13,002

Rep: Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730
The new "Did you find this post helpful" system has now been used over 200 times. In order to get additional feedback, I'm going to start rolling it out to additional forums now. The functionality will not appear in non-technical forums such as General, Member Intro or Syndicated News. Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming.

--jeremy
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #39
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Does anyone else find the new wording confusing? The box is completely outside of any post, and "this post" is a link to a different post.

--jeremy
Actually, I don't think it's the wording as much as the placement. IOW, being under a post makes it appear to refer to that post. It did take a second look to realize that "this post" was, in fact, a link.
 
Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #40
forrestt
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Distribution: Fedora, Kubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, SuSe
Posts: 1,288

Rep: Reputation: 99
Well, I can see where it could be confusing the way it is. I think the placement needs to stay the way it is, and to clarify any misunderstandings, change the wording. Perhaps:

Code:
Automatically jump to <a href="URL to POST">the post</a> that LQ members have voted the most helpful in this thread.
or perhaps
Code:
Automatically jump to the post that LQ members have voted <a href="URL to POST">the most helpful</a> in this thread.
Just a suggestion again. I don't think that wording similar to that could possibly imply the line goes with the post.

Forrest
 
Old 11-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #41
forrestt
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Distribution: Fedora, Kubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, SuSe
Posts: 1,288

Rep: Reputation: 99
Just witnessed the (or a new) bug where the "LQ members have rated..." line going below the newly added comment.

Forrest

p.s. it is under BOTH comments I just made.
 
Old 11-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #42
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 13,002

Rep: Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestt View Post
Just witnessed the (or a new) bug where the "LQ members have rated..." line going below the newly added comment.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...00#post3769700
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #43
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestt View Post
Well, I can see where it could be confusing the way it is. I think the placement needs to stay the way it is, and to clarify any misunderstandings, change the wording. Perhaps:

Code:
Automatically jump to <a href="URL to POST">the post</a> that LQ members have voted the most helpful in this thread.
or perhaps
Code:
Automatically jump to the post that LQ members have voted <a href="URL to POST">the most helpful</a> in this thread.
Just a suggestion again. I don't think that wording similar to that could possibly imply the line goes with the post.

Forrest
Personally, I think the new wording looks much neater; However, I concede that if it were changed back to the original, or to one of your suggestions, then the placement would be nearly irrelevant.

Cheers
 
Old 11-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #44
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 13,002

Rep: Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730Reputation: 3730
Just a quick usage update. Since rolling this feature out to all non-technical forums 3 days ago, the system has been used well over 500 times. Over 85% of those have been "Yes" answers. All feedback so far is appreciated, keep it coming.

--jeremy
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #45
JZL240I-U
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Distribution: openSuSE Tumbleweed-KDE, Mint 18.3+19.0, MX-18
Posts: 4,258

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Good idea, Jeremy. And I think we are (mostly) grown-ups here, and so can live with a "no" (not helpful). After swallowing the disappointment it might even give an incentive to improve ones contributions.

I rarely use the thumbs up symbol, but I said "thank you" quite often...
 
2 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply

Tags
helpfull


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't find kernel - grub help please (long post...sorry) TreeDragon60 Fedora - Installation 6 03-15-2009 07:13 AM
How to find your post royeo LQ Suggestions & Feedback 6 08-06-2006 02:47 PM
Can you find your first post at LQ! Mega Man X General 36 05-03-2004 09:15 AM
Help to find post about Voodoo... EnVoy Linux - Hardware 1 03-19-2003 04:42 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration