LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   LQ Suggestions & Feedback (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/lq-suggestions-and-feedback-7/)
-   -   An option to star discussions... (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/lq-suggestions-and-feedback-7/an-option-to-star-discussions-341428/)

aLinuxId 07-08-2005 07:48 PM

An option to star discussions...
 
Hi,

Is there an option to star preferred discussions, so that I can just look up a preferred set of discussion threads among several thousand of them :)
Thanks

Rocky.

trickykid 07-08-2005 07:50 PM

You can always subscribe to a thread. We use to have a star rating system but no one ever used it so it was removed. And when I say no one ever used it, that means for almost 4 years straight, no one ever used it so it's probably something we are not going to implement back in again.. ;)

aLinuxId 07-08-2005 07:54 PM

THat was quick. Thank you

Now I have to figure out how to subscribe to a thread. I will do that ;) dont worry.

Rocky.

trickykid 07-08-2005 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aLinuxId
THat was quick. Thank you

Now I have to figure out how to subscribe to a thread. I will do that ;) dont worry.

Rocky.

For those also that don't know, the link to subscibe is at the bottom of each thread next to the "Show Printable Page", "Email this Thread" and "Bookmark this Page"... etc. :)

vharishankar 07-09-2005 07:14 AM

"Starring" (note, not rating) without subscribing seems to be a nice idea. If it would be feasible, it would be like a kind of bookmarks like feature without the separate interface of the subscribe threads options and also would merely highlight topics starred in the forums view itself (not in the UserCP).

A bit like the gmail star feature where messages can be starred and then stand out against the rest.

trickykid 07-09-2005 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Harishankar
"Starring" (note, not rating) without subscribing seems to be a nice idea. If it would be feasible, it would be like a kind of bookmarks like feature without the separate interface of the subscribe threads options and also would merely highlight topics starred in the forums view itself (not in the UserCP).

A bit like the gmail star feature where messages can be starred and then stand out against the rest.

Like mentioned before, we had this implemented where members could vote to rate the thread that displayed stars in the forums but no one ever used it in 4 years so it was just a wasted resource that was never used so I seriously doubt anyone would use such a feature and would hate to see Jeremy put work into something that won't get used.

Perhaps we should encourage those that believe threads are worthy to be pointed out to others by clicking on the "Bookmark @ LQ Bookmarks" link at the bottom of every thread. ;)

jeremy 07-09-2005 08:57 AM

He's not talking "star" as in rate (like the old functionality). I can't see the difference between star in that context and subscribing to a thread though. What does subscribing not get you that you'd like?

--jeremy

trickykid 07-09-2005 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jeremy
He's not talking "star" as in rate (like the old functionality). I can't see the difference between star in that context and subscribing to a thread though. What does subscribing not get you that you'd like?

--jeremy

I thought I'd mentioned that..

"...members could vote to rate the thread that displayed stars in the forums but no one ever used it in 4 years so it was just a wasted resource that was never used so I seriously doubt anyone would use such a feature and would hate to see Jeremy put work into something that won't get used."

I basically stated that the rating that displayed stars never got used so why would a similiar feature when we have the subscribe to threads and now the bookmarks site.. ;)

vharishankar 07-09-2005 09:12 PM

Thanks jeremy, for the clarification. You're right.

Subscribing means that I get email notifications and I have to use the CP to access subscribed threads.

I thought the star system could be something very similar but right integrated into the main forum display rather than a separate interface.

Though come to think of it, it might be too much trouble for you to implement such a feature but as trickykid says may not be used as much.

But I can see a few areas where this would be useful. For example, if I see an interesting thread, I can actually "star" it so that I can easily access it later on without the trouble of searching.

However, as you said there are different ways of doing this so I guess you're quite right in that the feature may not be worth the trouble of implementing it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.