LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   LQ Suggestions & Feedback (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/lq-suggestions-and-feedback-7/)
-   -   Ads in user sidebar (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/lq-suggestions-and-feedback-7/ads-in-user-sidebar-4175681565/)

Meow1234 09-04-2020 06:33 PM

Ads in user sidebar
 
I find this annoying. There are ads in the user sidebar part of some posts. Is this a bug or intended? I am on mobile using the desktop site.

https://i.ibb.co/t8RvrdR/C42571-E1-A...1-C2-A9-E0.jpg

frankbell 09-04-2020 08:44 PM

Are you logged in?

It's been a long time since I visited the site without logging in almost immediately, but my understanding is that, when logged in, you don't see ads. That's also been consistent with my experience.

scasey 09-04-2020 08:56 PM

Yes. I donít recall the last time Iíve seen an ad here....but then Iím always logged in. ;)

Meow1234 09-04-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 6162620)
Are you logged in?

It's been a long time since I visited the site without logging in almost immediately, but my understanding is that, when logged in, you don't see ads. That's also been consistent with my experience.

I am always logged in.
EDIT: I visited on a desktop computer and it has no ads. Seems like it is an issue with the desktop site on mobile.

frankbell 09-04-2020 10:57 PM

For what it's worth, I just opened the desktop site in Firefox on my Android and logged in.

I did not see any ads other than the "We sponsor" item on the home page, which I'm not sure qualifies as an ad.

sgosnell 09-04-2020 11:11 PM

What app are you using to access the forum? Tapatalk and perhaps some browsers have ads built into them unless you pay for them.

scasey 09-04-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgosnell (Post 6162657)
What app are you using to access the forum? Tapatalk and perhaps some browsers have ads built into them unless you pay for them.

Aha...good point!

Meow1234 09-05-2020 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgosnell (Post 6162657)
What app are you using to access the forum? Tapatalk and perhaps some browsers have ads built into them unless you pay for them.

Chrome

Meow1234 09-05-2020 12:39 AM

Here is some solid proof this is happening. https://i.ibb.co/1LrpP6Y/E1703-F19-D...2-A8-CD5-B.jpg

sgosnell 09-05-2020 01:06 AM

My only suggestion is to check Chrome for malware. Perhaps an extension. I have never seen anything like that here, ever.

Meow1234 09-05-2020 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgosnell (Post 6162677)
My only suggestion is to check Chrome for malware. Perhaps an extension. I have never seen anything like that here, ever.

I am using Chrome on iPadOS 14 Beta, so no extensions. I have not heard of iOS malware and iOS is very locked down without jailbreak. I am not using jailbreak.

I think this might be an issue with the desktop site on mobile as the ads might be squashed into the side bar. Then again, HTML would keep them apart. So something very mysterious is happening.

Also, wth with the ad? I dont even like windows 10. It is a total dumpster fire.

sgosnell 09-05-2020 01:26 AM

I dunno. I have never seen an ad of any kind here, but then I don't see them anywhere because DuckDuckGo kills them for me. But it reports nothing on this site. Windows ads on a Linux-specific site would seem to be rather odd.

Meow1234 09-05-2020 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgosnell (Post 6162681)
I dunno. I have never seen an ad of any kind here, but then I don't see them anywhere because DuckDuckGo kills them for me. But it reports nothing on this site.

Hmm. Currently posting from Android x86 4.4 clean install & same thing happens here. Now I am really confused.

Meow1234 09-05-2020 01:35 AM

ironically it has just happened here.
https://i.ibb.co/0YmDX8k/60-D1-AF5-C...294-C60646.jpg

ondoho 09-05-2020 06:59 AM

I can only join the choir: no ads when logged in.
I just tested on Fennec F-droid on my smartphone, not there either.
Don't use Chrome, is all I can suggest.
And use AdBlocking as a matter of course.

Meow1234 09-05-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgosnell (Post 6162681)
DuckDuckGo kills them for me.

Huh, I went through DuckDuckGo and there are still ads.

Meow1234 09-05-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6162756)
I can only join the choir: no ads when logged in.
I just tested on Fennec F-droid on my smartphone, not there either.
Don't use Chrome, is all I can suggest.
And use AdBlocking as a matter of course.

I think I know why this is happening. On android versions they implemented ad blocking but not on iOS. That is why, most likely.

scasey 09-05-2020 02:24 PM

I use Safari on iOS. No ads. Also none with Firefox.
Not sure what you mean by “desktop site”. I see no difference between what I see here, on the iPad and what I see on a desktop.

ondoho 09-05-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meow1234 (Post 6162837)
I think I know why this is happening. On android versions they implemented ad blocking but not on iOS. That is why, most likely.

I don't think they do that by default.
Tell us what domain the ads originate from, I can confirm or deny that theory.
But actually I'm quite sure it's not that.
have you tried a different browser yet?

Meow1234 09-06-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6162900)
I don't think they do that by default.
Tell us what domain the ads originate from, I can confirm or deny that theory.
But actually I'm quite sure it's not that.
have you tried a different browser yet?

It appears that they have stopped. I did try another browser, safari, and there were no ads.
It appears that it was a bug.

crts 09-16-2020 08:05 AM

I read somewhere in this Forum that new users will still see a few ads, even if logged in. The more you participate and contribute the fewer ads you will see. But that was back when I registered. Not sure if this rule still applies.

henderson 10-09-2020 02:31 AM

I also see advertiemnt in a post when I'm logged in.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.