-   Linux - Wireless Networking (
-   -   Wifi Slows,then stops,then SOMETIMES restarts + ubuntu + dlink WDA 2320 (

Lagg 09-21-2006 11:46 PM

Wifi Slows,then stops,then SOMETIMES restarts + ubuntu + dlink WDA 2320

I am having some problems on my new install of Ubuntu. My network card (Dlink WDA-2320, which uses the Atheros chipset apparently) is detected and with a quick entry of my network stats into the Ubuntu Network Settings , I was up and running. Awesome. Much easier than on my Slackware 10.2 box.

Unfortunately, I have a problem when it comes to downloading files. The file will download at a good speed (I'm stuck at 30kbs, so anything over 20 kps is "good") for approx. 30 seconds, then the the connection speed will slow down, and eventually stop. Sometimes it will restart within 10 seconds, sometimes within 30 seconds, sometimes within 5 minutes or sometimes it just flat out stops.

I was having a similar problem with my Slackware box. I had installed wifi-radar before I found out you actually have to install some form of driver package( :o ... ;)... :D ). After I installed Madwifi and used a script in my rc.local to start the internet I noticed downloads were having the same problem I just described. I removed wifi-radar and I haven't had a problem since.

I haven't done anything to this installation of Ubuntu so I'm really :scratch: my head about this one. Any savvy folks care to drop some :twocents: on this issue?

Thank you for your time

EDIT: I've noticed that if I'm surfing the web and clicking links, the problem does not occure.

snecklifter 09-23-2006 03:37 AM

So it sounds like you no longer have the problem as wifi-radar was the cause? I also have an a/b/g atheros chipset and had this problem with Network Manager. When i use standard networking with DHCP it runs fine. I dont think it responds well to scripts being run on it or alterations of state. I cant troubleshoot or file bugs of course as this is a proprietary driver...

Lagg 09-23-2006 03:06 PM

Okay all, false alarm.

Sorry about that folks

I forgot that the interface for my router is very picky. It only works in IE. (bad coding on Dlink's part I must say). Earlier this week (before I installed Ubuntu) I had tried to do something on the router, but it was after I had already tried to change the setting ,I remembered "wait, I should have done that in IE , it doens't like FireFox" , but then I got distracted and forgot to do the change in IE.

I remebered this last night after I had tried to download something in Slack and the same problem that has been plaguing me all week in Ubuntu occurred. After doing a :scratch: process, I remembered what I had done earlier in the week, I switched to Windows and tried to download the same file. Sure enough, same problem. I knew was the deal was now. I then performed the router setting change in IE like I should have done in the first place.

Thank you for your time. Sorry about this. Feel free to delete this entire thread.

FAKE EDIT: I also remembered the day that I got the problem to stop in Slackware, I had reconfigured the router in IE in addition to uninstalling wifi-radar, so I guess that uninstalling wifi-radar wasn't 100% the answer.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.