LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Wireless Networking (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/)
-   -   can ping network computer, cannot ping google.com (help needed) (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/can-ping-network-computer-cannot-ping-google-com-help-needed-273913/)

ben_build#2.1.0 01-04-2005 06:46 PM

can ping network computer, cannot ping google.com (help needed)
 
hi.

I have a NetGear MA521 wireless card with the XP RTL8180 driver found in the tutorial on this website. I used ndiswrapper to set it up, on Mandrake 10.1 I can ping my LAN fine, it looks like this:

[root@BEN ndiswrapper]# ping 192.168.1.47
PING 192.168.1.47 (192.168.1.47) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.47: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.150 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.47: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.155 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.47: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.149 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.47: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.154 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.47: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.146 ms

so that seems to work.

I however cannot ping google.com or visit anything outside my network. I get:

[root@BEN ndiswrapper]# ping google.com
PING google.com (216.239.39.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
From BIGMAC (192.168.1.47) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From BIGMAC (192.168.1.47) icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From BIGMAC (192.168.1.47) icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

so therefore I have an inside connection, but not an connection to the net. I don't see what the problem is. Then I do this command:

[root@BEN ndiswrapper]# dmesg | grep "wlan0"
wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:09:5b:21:b3:0f using driver rtl8180.sys
wlan0: no IPv6 routers present

and it says I have the driver present using the, and the device is regularly there. my wlan0 connection is up and running however I have no web access. How can I get my web access running on my wireless card?

soylentgreen 01-04-2005 06:49 PM

1. what is your gateway?
2. do you have this machine as dhcp, or static?
3. what is your DNS?

4. try to ping google.com by number: 216.239.39.99

then i can help you

thanks

ben_build#2.1.0 01-04-2005 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by soylentgreen
1. what is your gateway?
2. do you have this machine as dhcp, or static?
3. what is your DNS?

4. try to ping google.com by number: 216.239.39.99

then i can help you

thanks

how can I find out the gateway, dhcp, and dns info?

and I have to pick this up tomorrow, so I'll read you response then

soylentgreen 01-04-2005 07:51 PM

gateway is your access to the internet,

like, are you connecting through a windows box that has ICS or something?

do you have a cable modem? or DSL?

do an

/sbin/ifconfig

and post the output
we might have to go back and forth a bit, until we get the important info to each other .. that other machine.. the 192.168.1.47.. is that plugged into a router? it sounds like an address from a router.. that maybe is plugged into a cable modem..

lemme know that info and we can work from there.

bob66 01-05-2005 12:29 AM

would be helpful to see output from:
/sbin/ifconfig
/sbin/route -n
ps aux | grep dhc ## if you use dhcp, may be using dhcpcd or dhclient

also post the contents of
/etc/resolv.conf ## this is where your nameservers would be listed

ben_build#2.1.0 01-05-2005 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by soylentgreen
gateway is your access to the internet,

like, are you connecting through a windows box that has ICS or something?

do you have a cable modem? or DSL?

do an

/sbin/ifconfig

and post the output
we might have to go back and forth a bit, until we get the important info to each other .. that other machine.. the 192.168.1.47.. is that plugged into a router? it sounds like an address from a router.. that maybe is plugged into a cable modem..

lemme know that info and we can work from there.

ok, I'm connected through a DSL modem/wireless router.

here is my /sbin/ifconfig

[superman@BEN superman]$ /sbin/ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:3F:32:5B:48
inet addr:192.168.1.44 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::202:3fff:fe32:5b48/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:197 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:245 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:142731 (139.3 Kb) TX bytes:38070 (37.1 Kb)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0x2000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:5992 (5.8 Kb) TX bytes:5992 (5.8 Kb)

198.162.1.47 is connected through the router.(plugged in through a dsl modem)

ben_build#2.1.0 01-05-2005 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bob66
would be helpful to see output from:
/sbin/ifconfig
/sbin/route -n
ps aux | grep dhc ## if you use dhcp, may be using dhcpcd or dhclient

also post the contents of
/etc/resolv.conf ## this is where your nameservers would be listed

wait, i was posting stuff with the eth0 attached. does that matter?

[superman@BEN superman]$ /sbin/route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

[superman@BEN superman]$ ps aux |grep dhc
root 4971 0.0 0.3 1940 960 ? Ss 07:58 0:00 /sbin/dhclient -1 -q -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases -pf /var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid -cf /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf eth0
superman 5014 0.0 0.2 1764 600 pts/0 S+ 07:58 0:00 grep dhc

[root@BEN superman]# /etc/resolv.conf
bash: /etc/resolv.conf: Permission denied

Belghouth 01-05-2005 07:02 AM

You don't have any gateway on your routes
You are not connected to Internet. Are u?

ben_build#2.1.0 01-05-2005 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Belghouth
Are you connected to Internet? if the answer is yes, this mean that the trafic if filtred by a firewall
Supply additional informations as bob66 said

I did. look above.

ben_build#2.1.0 01-05-2005 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Belghouth
You don't have any gateway on your routes
You are not connected to Internet. Are u?

I am connected to the internet through my cabled network card
want the results with the cable off?

(and now the NIC won't even connect, although it says ndiswrapper is installed.

Belghouth 01-05-2005 07:13 AM

/etc/resolv.conf is a text file when DNS adress is configured, check it with
Code:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

ben_build#2.1.0 01-05-2005 07:14 AM

[root@BEN superman]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search myhome.westell.com
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 192.168.1.1

so, would that be my IP?

Belghouth 01-05-2005 07:17 AM

can you ping 192.168.1.1 ?

ben_build#2.1.0 01-05-2005 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Belghouth
can you ping 192.168.1.1 ?
I can ping it with my cabled network card, but the LNK light isn't even on with the wireless card so I'd assume its not connected.

how can I get that connection up?

Belghouth 01-05-2005 07:23 AM

Quote:

[root@BEN ndiswrapper]# ping google.com
PING google.com (216.239.39.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
From BIGMAC (192.168.1.47) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
when you pinged www.google.com, the adress was resolved 216.239.39.99, that means your DNS is replying.
The problem is in the 192.168.1.47 gateway, it could be not configured.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.