[SOLVED] VirtualBox: USB device "is being exclusively used by the host computer"
Linux - Virtualization and CloudThis forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
In short, USB devices are no longer greyed out when using the original configuration.
In detail ...
The fstab change in the last post was a workaround, not a fix, so I backed it out and investigated further.
After renaming /etc/udev/rules.d/10-vboxdrv.rules to 91-vboxdrv.rules and rebooting the host, the problem was fixed. This suggested a rules order dependency so it should be possible to identify the rule causing the problem by changing <nn> in <nn>-vboxdrv.rules. Fortunately I decided to put it back to 10-vboxdrv.rules to start with as a "null test" to confirm the problem. Much to my surprise the problem was still fixed and stayed fixed on re-plugging the test device and on rebooting the host. The problem had been only very slightly intermittent so there was good confidence the problem was actually fixed.
I do not know of any mechanism by which moving the rule to (almost) the end of the rules order and putting it back to the original position would fix anything but that is what happened unless it was pure co-incidence and something else fixed it. The only possible "something else" I am aware of was routine Slackware maintenance (upgraded to mozilla-firefox-3.6.2-i686-1, openssl-0.9.8n-i486-1_slack13.0, openssl-solibs-0.9.8n-i486-1_slack13.0 and proftpd-1.3.3-i486-2_slack13.0) but I do not know that any of those packages is used by VirtualBox.
Glad it worked for you After changing the rule file back to 10-vboxdrv.rules it worked for a while and then broke again. I was in a hurry so just put the rule back to 91-vboxdrv.rules and it worked again. Later I put it back to 60-vboxdrv.rules where it has been working for a few weeks now. I'll give it a while longer and, if it's still working OK I'll try 51-vboxdrv.rules -- progressively halving the rule set to identify the rule that causes the breakage.
EDIT: above should be 66-vboxdrv.rules, not 60-vboxdrv.rules.