Linux - Virtualization and CloudThis forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I'm running Ubuntu 10.04. I have Version 3.2.6 of VirtualBox and I have a Windows XP Virtual Machine installed on it. There is a game site that I play called Online Bandit. You download the client from the site, and then play from the client. For some reason I was getting errors while I was in the middle of the game. It would just kick me out of my game and say I quit. I turned off the 2D & 3D Acceleration under Display Settings, and I enabled PAE/NX under System/Processor Settings. This seemed to have fixed the problem. However, the other day I was in a game and it just froze up on me, then the game client went completely black and all I couldn't do anything. I also had an instance where I was playing a game and it appears to have got stuck somehow. They have a game similar to "Sorry" and I was trying to move my piece, but when I clicked on my piece it wouldn't move. The timer was still working on the game as I ended up timing out since I could not click my piece. Any ideas would be appreciated!
I tried running this game through Wine before but it'd just kick me out of the entire client. However I changed around some settings and ended up getting it to run through Wine, but I was also being kicked from games then all the time with no luck of ever fixing that. I thought I had the issue resolved in VirtualBox until the other day.
Last edited by GrnEyedAngel; 07-20-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Reason: Adding more information
Well, I have some suggestions, maybe none of them any good...
You could try a different VM. Make a copy of your Windows XP VM, remove the VB additions, run it in VMWare and add the VMWare additions: a fair amount of work, might not change anything.
Some of these problems sound like latency/dropped connection problems. Make sure nothing else on the system is using your internet connection; ie surfing to Linuxquestions while playing.
Since WineHQ AppDB doesn't have an entry for the program, you might want to share your settings and changes with the website. Even if it doesn't work, you can still submit a rating, "Bronze" for example.