LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
cmontr
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 175

Rep: Reputation: 15
yum


Hello,

I have uninstalled yum on Fedora 10. I am trying to reinstall and at the dir yum-2.0.7, make fails.

Could someone provide installatation steps from scratch please?

errors I got was:

/bin/sh: line 2: msgmerge: command not found
msgmerge -v of cs failed
/bin/sh: line 2: msgmerge: command not found
msgmerge -v of es failed
/bin/sh: line 2: msgmerge: command not found
msgmerge -v of ru failed
/bin/sh: line 2: msgmerge: command not found
msgmerge -v of uk failed
msgfmt --statistics --verbose -o cs.mo cs.po
make[1]: msgfmt: Command not found
make[1]: *** [cs.mo] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/yum/yum-2.0.7/po'
make: *** [all] Error 2



2nd issue I had was installation of JDK, it also failed...

Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks
 
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
cmontr
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 175

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontr View Post
Hello,

I have uninstalled yum on Fedora 10. I am trying to reinstall and at the dir yum-2.0.7, make fails.

Could someone provide installatation steps from scratch please?

errors I got was:

/bin/sh: line 2: msgmerge: command not found
msgmerge -v of cs failed
/bin/sh: line 2: msgmerge: command not found
msgmerge -v of es failed
/bin/sh: line 2: msgmerge: command not found
msgmerge -v of ru failed
/bin/sh: line 2: msgmerge: command not found
msgmerge -v of uk failed
msgfmt --statistics --verbose -o cs.mo cs.po
make[1]: msgfmt: Command not found
make[1]: *** [cs.mo] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/yum/yum-2.0.7/po'
make: *** [all] Error 2



2nd issue I had was installation of JDK, it also failed...

Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks
rpm -ivh http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...fc3.noarch.rpm
Retrieving http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...fc3.noarch.rpm
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404
error: skipping http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...fc3.noarch.rpm - transfer failed
 
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,363

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
Why are you trying to install such an old version of yum?

Assuming you are using 32bit FC10 go to the following link and double click on the yum rpm.

Edit:
I guess it is a noarch rpm so 32/64bit will not matter.

yum-3.2.20-3.fc10.noarch.rpm

Last edited by lazlow; 03-17-2009 at 10:52 PM.
 
Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
cmontr
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 175

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow View Post
Why are you trying to install such an old version of yum?

Assuming you are using 32bit FC10 go to the following link and double click on the yum rpm.



Edit:
I guess it is a noarch rpm so 32/64bit will not matter.

yum-3.2.20-3.fc10.noarch.rpm

Hi - I tried that link but it is not working...have any othr suggestions?

Thanks
 
Old 03-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,363

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
That server is quite slow but it is working. I checked both here at home and a remote server I have several states away.

Edit: You should also be able to look in your install media and pull it from there.

Last edited by lazlow; 03-17-2009 at 11:57 PM.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
cmontr
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 175

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow View Post
That server is quite slow but it is working. I checked both here at home and a remote server I have several states away.

Edit: You should also be able to look in your install media and pull it from there.
That part worked, however, now I am getting this error. Can you please help on that?

yum update

http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/repo/10/i38...ta/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
livna | 2.4 kB 00:00
livna/primary_db | 2.7 kB 00:00
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/y...ta/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: idmcommon-noarch. Please verify its path and try again
 
Old 03-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,363

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
Both of paths in those links are bad. Post the results of yum repolist.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
cmontr
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 175

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow View Post
Both of paths in those links are bad. Post the results of yum repolist.
This is what it was:
yum repolist
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/y...ta/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: idmcommon-noarch. Please verify its path and try again


COuld you tell me how to fix it? Thanks.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 AM   #9
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,363

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
It looks like the idmcommon-noarch repo is bad (never heard of it either). Copy and paste the contents of the /etc/yum.repos.d/idmcommon.repo file. The name may be a little off but it will be one of the files in that directory.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
cmontr
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 175

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow View Post
It looks like the idmcommon-noarch repo is bad (never heard of it either). Copy and paste the contents of the /etc/yum.repos.d/idmcommon.repo file. The name may be a little off but it will be one of the files in that directory.
Hi - This is what i got...dont know if it makes any sense...

cat /etc/yum.repos.d/idmcommon.repo
[idmcommon]
name=Fedora IDM Common - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://directory.fedoraproject.org/yum/idmcommon/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS

[idmcommon-noarch]
name=Fedora IDM Common - $releasever - noarch
baseurl=http://directory.fedoraproject.org/yum/idmcommon/fedora/$releasever/noarch/RPMS
 
Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,363

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
If you look back to the root of that link:

Quote:
directory.fedoraproject.org/yum/idmcommon/fedora/
You will see that there is no F10 section. So wherever you got that repo from it was not meant to be used with F10.

I will look around and see if I can find the standard F10 repo file.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
cmontr
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 175

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow View Post
If you look back to the root of that link:



You will see that there is no F10 section. So wherever you got that repo from it was not meant to be used with F10.

I will look around and see if I can find the standard F10 repo file.
Thanks a lot ... Please let me know how to fix it...
 
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,363

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
The way you fix it is to remove that repo and just use the standard one. I do not currently have a F10 system around so I cannot just post the standard repo file.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,363

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
Quote:
[fedora]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

[fedora-debuginfo]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Debug
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/debug/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-debug-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

[fedora-source]
name=Fedora $releasever - Source
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/source/SRPMS/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-source-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch
I found this one. No guarantees but give it a try.
 
Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
cmontr
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 175

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow View Post
I found this one. No guarantees but give it a try.
appreciated for your time. so far no luck. I will look at it later again.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem after yum yum yum (delicious) alaios Fedora 3 01-14-2009 02:34 AM
yum config error parsing file failed - yum won't run emuub Linux - Software 9 11-04-2008 05:48 AM
yum.conf - extract files from a DVD. How define repo location and what is yum command emuub Linux - Software 2 06-17-2007 07:28 AM
Yum Problem - /var/cache/yum/base/primary.xml.gz:1 ice99 Linux - Software 0 12-15-2005 01:08 PM
Yum Errors in parsing, whats wrong here (yum.conf pasted) thejokker Linux - Newbie 1 06-15-2004 02:28 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration