LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
parv
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: Mint, Scientifc Linux, Ubuntu
Posts: 180

Rep: Reputation: 30
xming problem, cannot Copy&Paste from windows


I have both xming and xwin32 installed in windows xp.
I have two remote linux boxes to login. One is configured
by sysadmin (debian) and the other by myself (centos).
If I run xwin32, I can copy and paste (ctrl+C in windows to
copy and middle button in linux to paste) in both linux machines.
But if I run xming, I cannot do the same thing in the linux box
I configured (running centos). However, copy and paste works by
using either Xwin32 or xming. Or, if I start xming first, then
launch putty and enable x11 forwarding, then I can successfully
do the c&p stuff. The problem happens when I am using xdmcp to
access centos.



I have installed additional xming fonts (Xming-fonts-6-9-0-6-setup).
I am confused since if it were xming's problem, it should
not have worked for the debian machine either. If it were
centos's configuration problem, it should not have worked
using xwin32.

Please advise.
Appreciate it.

Last edited by parv; 01-15-2007 at 05:07 PM.
 
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
MensaWater
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Atlanta Georgia USA
Distribution: Redhat (RHEL), CentOS, Fedora, CoreOS, Debian, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO
Posts: 7,542
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491
Standard X cut and paste isn't done with ctrlC, ctrlV - those are M$ Windoze defaults. In X the "cut" is done simply by selecting (highlightin) the item. The "paste" is done by pressing the middle button of a 3 button mouse. Since most PCs only have 2 button mice the 3rd button is usually emulated by pressing both the left and right button at the same time.
 
Old 01-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
parv
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: Mint, Scientifc Linux, Ubuntu
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlightner
Standard X cut and paste isn't done with ctrlC, ctrlV - those are M$ Windoze defaults. In X the "cut" is done simply by selecting (highlightin) the item. The "paste" is done by pressing the middle button of a 3 button mouse. Since most PCs only have 2 button mice the 3rd button is usually emulated by pressing both the left and right button at the same time.
Thanks for your reply. But I knew the stuff you talked about.
My problem is I can copy (ctrl+C) in windows and paste (middle button)
in linux through xdmcp while using xwin32. But I cannot do this if I am
running xming. Whiling using either xwin32 or xming, I could do "highlight copy"
and "middle button paste" within linux. The problem only happens when I want to
copy text from windows and paste to linux text editor such as vi or emacs.
BTW, there is nothing wrong if I use xwin32.
 
Old 01-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
MensaWater
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Atlanta Georgia USA
Distribution: Redhat (RHEL), CentOS, Fedora, CoreOS, Debian, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO
Posts: 7,542
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491Reputation: 1491
I just did a test. In an MS-Exchange email I highlighted text then did a "ctrl-C". In an xterm opened using Xming I did the middle button paste in a vi session and it worked fine.

I don't run the full XDMCP as I don't like have an X desktop on top of my M$ Windoze desktop. I can't think of any reason a full XDMCP session would treat the paste any differently. I do recall that X actually has more than one cut buffer and having had to play with it once using either Exceed or the other commercial X emulator the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Of course there are X resources you can set on the Unix/Linux side but I'd think you'd be getting the same ones whether you opened it in Xwin32 (which I'm assuming is an X emulator) or Xming.

By the way my Xming has "-clipboard" as one of the options. I don't recall adding this but it was quite a while back when I installed Xming.

The actual command associated with my Xming icon:
"C:\Program Files\Xming\Xming.exe" :0 -clipboard -multiwindow -ac

According to the man page at:
http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/xming.php

-clipboard Enables the integration between the Xming clipboard and Microsoft Windows clipboard.

Last edited by MensaWater; 01-17-2007 at 01:40 PM.
 
Old 01-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
parv
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: Mint, Scientifc Linux, Ubuntu
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlightner
I just did a test. In an MS-Exchange email I highlighted text then did a "ctrl-C". In an xterm opened using Xming I did the middle button paste in a vi session and it worked fine.

I don't run the full XDMCP as I don't like have an X desktop on top of my M$ Windoze desktop. I can't think of any reason a full XDMCP session would treat the paste any differently. I do recall that X actually has more than one cut buffer and having had to play with it once using either Exceed or the other commercial X emulator the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Of course there are X resources you can set on the Unix/Linux side but I'd think you'd be getting the same ones whether you opened it in Xwin32 (which I'm assuming is an X emulator) or Xming.

By the way my Xming has "-clipboard" as one of the options. I don't recall adding this but it was quite a while back when I installed Xming.

The actual command associated with my Xming icon:
"C:\Program Files\Xming\Xming.exe" :0 -clipboard -multiwindow -ac

According to the man page at:
http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/xming.php

-clipboard Enables the integration between the Xming clipboard and Microsoft Windows clipboard.
I actually tried to connect to the centos machine using putty+xming with X11 forwarding
enabled. C&P worked there. I forgot to mention in my previous posts though, my bad.
What confuses me is xming+xdmcp works for another debian machine.
So among all the combinations, only xming+xdmcp+centos does not work.
Other than this, xwin32 works in all conditions, xming works when putty (ssh) is used.
That's why I have no clue where is potential problem is.

BTW, The command associated with my Xming icon is:
"C:\Program Files\Xming\Xming.exe" :0 -clipboard -multiwindow", no -ac used in my case.
But I doubt that's the reason, will give it a try though.

Thanks.
 
Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
parv
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: Mint, Scientifc Linux, Ubuntu
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by parv

BTW, The command associated with my Xming icon is:
"C:\Program Files\Xming\Xming.exe" :0 -clipboard -multiwindow", no -ac used in my case.
But I doubt that's the reason, will give it a try though.

.
did not help
 
Old 04-16-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
parv
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Distribution: Mint, Scientifc Linux, Ubuntu
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
problem solved after doing some research:
I modified /etc/gdm/custom.conf by adding :
Code:
[daemon]
KillInitClients=false
Then restart gdm with gdm-restart
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
copy & paste crapodino General 8 08-05-2006 06:54 AM
a windows question..copy&paste.. desperate.. doublefailure General 3 08-15-2004 06:49 PM
Copy & Paste Dan Cerimele Linux - General 3 11-26-2003 06:49 PM
Copy & Paste? petercool Linux - Software 9 09-03-2003 09:05 AM
PDF copy & paste dcspyder Linux - Newbie 1 10-29-2002 11:10 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration