LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2003, 12:20 PM   #1
MissMetal
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: DC area
Distribution: opensuse, centos, rhel4
Posts: 32

Rep: Reputation: 15
What to come of GRUB after a partition reformat?


Currently I'm running rh9 and win XP Home on my Inspiron 5100 laptop. I have a FAT32 partition so that I can see files between both OS's. Everything is running smoothly for the most part. However I want to put WinXP Pro on my windows partition. I don't like upgrading over a pre-existing version of Windows, so I want to format my windows partition and install XP Pro fresh.

How will this effect grub and my MBR?

I'd post the results of my fdisk -l but apparently it's not installed on here :| Anyone know which package it's found in on the RH9 Cd set?

Another quick question while I think of it... when I login as a user my eth0 isn't enabled. I can enable it easily enough everytime I login, but how would I go about making it enable automatically upon login?
 
Old 05-24-2003, 12:37 PM   #2
manthram
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Distribution: RedHat 8, Mandrake9.1, Slack9
Posts: 456

Rep: Reputation: 31
make a boot floppy for linux and then install windows xp. it will overwrite the MBR. boot with the floppy and then check the grub for windows xp and add it if it is not there and then install it.


put this line in '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0'

ONBOOT=yes
 
Old 05-24-2003, 12:39 PM   #3
david_ross
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Scotland
Distribution: Slackware, RedHat, Debian
Posts: 12,047

Rep: Reputation: 66
Re: What to come of GRUB after a partition reformat?

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMetal
Currently I'm running rh9 and win XP Home on my Inspiron 5100 laptop. I have a FAT32 partition so that I can see files between both OS's. Everything is running smoothly for the most part. However I want to put WinXP Pro on my windows partition. I don't like upgrading over a pre-existing version of Windows, so I want to format my windows partition and install XP Pro fresh.

How will this effect grub and my MBR?
If you leave your linux partitions alone then only the MBR will be overwritten. Here was my advice to Pcghost:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...694#post311694

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMetal
I'd post the results of my fdisk -l but apparently it's not installed on here :| Anyone know which package it's found in on the RH9 Cd set?
If you aren't in a root shell you may need to run:
/sbin/fdisk
As far as I know it is in the fdisk rpm. You could also try sfdisk.

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMetal
Another quick question while I think of it... when I login as a user my eth0 isn't enabled. I can enable it easily enough everytime I login, but how would I go about making it enable automatically upon login?
Add "ONBOOT=yes" or change no to yes in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file.
Also make sure the network is enabled on boot:
chkconfig network on
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[GRUB]how to install grub onto another partition Liquid_T<NL> Linux - Newbie 1 09-05-2005 10:46 AM
GRUB and partition table... Balvir Kumar Linux - Hardware 3 07-29-2005 01:39 AM
Grub Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition and other Grub problems Sebastian Naitsabes Linux - General 1 07-05-2005 09:33 AM
My winXP has been hacked!Can I reformat XP partitionwithout harming linux partition? Ausar Linux - Newbie 6 06-12-2004 11:37 PM
Grub - Deleted Partition digipsythe Linux - Newbie 1 04-12-2004 01:38 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration