LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2017, 03:19 AM   #6361
Langjan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2011
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

If you install Windows in Linux Virtualbox, you can run anything that runs on that version of Windows.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:39 AM   #6362
tousif
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Baroda, GJ, India
Distribution: Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - Trusty
Posts: 101
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled View Post
When I used Windows I found the spelling checker to work much better than in Linux. I am having this mostly issue in Firefox. I am using version 54.0.1 of Firefox.
there is an addon "Grammarly" install it, it is the best spell/grammar/punctuation, checker, correct I have ever used and i am also using Firefox 54.0 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 16.04LTS. I use Google Docs "Grammarly" works perfectly everywhere I am using it since last 2 years without any flaw it is also available for google chrome. hope that helps.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #6363
273
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs
Posts: 6,767

Rep: Reputation: 1935Reputation: 1935Reputation: 1935Reputation: 1935Reputation: 1935Reputation: 1935Reputation: 1935Reputation: 1935Reputation: 1935Reputation: 1935Reputation: 1935
Quote:
Originally Posted by tousif View Post
something that can run any windows game, I struggle a lot with wine, play on Linux, crossover they are undoubtedly very useful but none of them can run Autocad, Intergraph Caesar, Aveva PDMS.

thank you
Isn't the point of this thread that ghat should not be needed?
 
Old 08-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #6364
alexpaton
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 40

Rep: Reputation: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tousif View Post
something that can run any windows game, I struggle a lot with wine, play on Linux, crossover they are undoubtedly very useful but none of them can run Autocad, Intergraph Caesar, Aveva PDMS.

thank you
Intergraph Caesar is, I believe, a pipe stress analysis tool. If this is true, there are Linux alternatives (which is what this thread is about).

CAEPIPE - http://www.sstusa.com/pipe-stress-analysis-on-linux.php - Strictly speaking, it's a Windows program but they recognize and test in Wine.
CAELinux - A linux distribution specifically for engineers. - http://caelinux.com/CMS/

Aveva PDMS is a touch more tricky, considering that it is VERY specialist software. Since it is a Dotnet program, it is unlikely that they would even consider developing in Linux. There is a possibility that it could be made to work with Mono. There is also the possibility that Playonlinux could get the dotnet working.
 
Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #6365
Crippled
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: MX-16.1
Posts: 187

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by tousif View Post
there is an addon "Grammarly" install it, it is the best spell/grammar/punctuation, checker, correct I have ever used and i am also using Firefox 54.0 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 16.04LTS. I use Google Docs "Grammarly" works perfectly everywhere I am using it since last 2 years without any flaw it is also available for google chrome. hope that helps.
Thanks.

Last edited by Crippled; 08-07-2017 at 09:33 AM.
 
Old 08-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #6366
Norseman01
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langjan View Post
If you install Windows in Linux Virtualbox, you can run anything that runs on that version of Windows.
========================
it is good to know there is a Virtualbox that works on Linux. I have yet to get any from the web that function. The "How-To", when followed leave a mess.

somewhere in this thread is a comment on Autocad.
I place MSDOS on partition 1 and load Autocad R12 DOS there too. I put Linux on partition 6. I run dosbox. To run Acad R12 for DOS is a matter of following the instructions. YES! Acad R12 Dos is a lightweight. BUT - I get to use my DOS scripts, batch commands and so forth WITHOUT AMASSING A MASS OF REBOOTS. These can be called and used from Linux. No it is not a modern CAD. YES it means I do not need to reboot Linux to get to a CAD program that I can use in the "sketch it out" portion of drafting. Work out the basics in dosbox and promote drawing to better level when ready. Handy in GIS work too.

Norseman01
 
Old 08-08-2017, 04:38 AM   #6367
alexpaton
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 40

Rep: Reputation: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman01 View Post
========================
it is good to know there is a Virtualbox that works on Linux. I have yet to get any from the web that function. The "How-To", when followed leave a mess.

somewhere in this thread is a comment on Autocad.
I place MSDOS on partition 1 and load Autocad R12 DOS there too. I put Linux on partition 6. I run dosbox. To run Acad R12 for DOS is a matter of following the instructions. YES! Acad R12 Dos is a lightweight. BUT - I get to use my DOS scripts, batch commands and so forth WITHOUT AMASSING A MASS OF REBOOTS. These can be called and used from Linux. No it is not a modern CAD. YES it means I do not need to reboot Linux to get to a CAD program that I can use in the "sketch it out" portion of drafting. Work out the basics in dosbox and promote drawing to better level when ready. Handy in GIS work too.

Norseman01
Virtualbox on Linux works very well, as does VMWare Player. For Ubuntu/Mint/Debian users, the one in the repositories works perfectly, so no need to download from the net separately. What flavour of Linux do you use?
 
Old 08-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #6368
remma12
Member
 
Registered: May 2017
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman01 View Post
========================
it is good to know there is a Virtualbox that works on Linux.
Norseman01
Never had an issue with it on any flavour of Linux I've tried. VMWare on the other hand has given me nothing but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman01 View Post
========================
I place MSDOS on partition 1 and load Autocad R12 DOS there too. I put Linux on partition 6.
Norseman01
Genuinely curious as to why you have them on separate partitions? I've always just dropped my DOS programs into folders and pointed DOSBox at them without problems
 
Old 08-10-2017, 04:32 AM   #6369
alexpaton
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Posts: 40

Rep: Reputation: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by remma12 View Post
Never had an issue with it on any flavour of Linux I've tried. VMWare on the other hand has given me nothing but



Genuinely curious as to why you have them on separate partitions? I've always just dropped my DOS programs into folders and pointed DOSBox at them without problems
VMWare used to have a Unity mode which made virtualisation on Linux an absolute dream. I never had a problem installing or running it on Mint or Ubuntu. Sadly, they have ended the only feature that made it worthwhile switching, so I can't be bothered with it any more.

Both are far more usable than Qemu, which used to be my virtualisation choice.
 
Old 08-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #6370
ReginaBob
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2017
Location: Regina,Saskatchewan,Canada
Distribution: Ubuntu 16.04
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Adobe Lightroom,just because I'm used to it.However,don't want it bad enough to go back to using Windows.
 
Old 08-13-2017, 04:00 AM   #6371
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,209
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaBob View Post
However,don't want it bad enough to go back to using Windows.
this sounds so unpretentious and self-evident.
but it's really the key to using linux, no?
 
Old 08-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #6372
Crippled
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Distribution: MX-16.1
Posts: 187

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by tousif View Post
there is an addon "Grammarly" install it, it is the best spell/grammar/punctuation, checker, correct I have ever used and i am also using Firefox 54.0 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 16.04LTS. I use Google Docs "Grammarly" works perfectly everywhere I am using it since last 2 years without any flaw it is also available for google chrome. hope that helps.
I have been using it for the past several days and while it does a great job of suggesting corrections it also interffers with what you already type and you can't correct it. I removed it and I am not going to bother correcting my spelling beyond the standard spelling checker. Thanks anyway for you recomendation.
 
Old 08-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #6373
Norseman01
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
.............

Genuinely curious as to why you have them on separate partitions? I've always just dropped my DOS programs into folders and pointed DOSBox at them without problems[/QUOTE]

========================
I wrote a number of MSDOS 6.22 dependent programs back when. Over the years I still use some of them. Partition 1 is set to less than 2 gigabytes and I can LILO boot the ever ready MSDOS when needed. Windows XP Pro resides on partition 2. Providing a "Command" file lets me chain my way through rather convoluted solutions. Linux provides the here-doc ability.
Write it once, do it right and use it with confidence.

Norseman01
 
Old 08-15-2017, 05:18 AM   #6374
remma12
Member
 
Registered: May 2017
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman01 View Post
.............


Write it once, do it right and use it with confidence.

Norseman01
Well said!

Thanks for the response
 
Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 AM   #6375
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,209
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508
I don't need a spell checker, be it on Windows or Linux.
My spelling is flawless.
 
  


Reply

Tags
cad, clone, debian, dreamweaver, drivers, editing, editor, education, eeepc, elite, etch, flash, future, gimp, itunes, keyboard, kppp, linux, lotus, macro, macromedia, mandriva2007, modem, music, news, newsreader, nntp, office, open, openoffice.org, pdf, photoshop, pim, port, porting, poster, printing, program, programs, quicken, recognition, shockwave, sled, software, softwares, sound, source, speech, suse, usenet, video, wvdial, xandros


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What games would you like to see ported to Linux? jeremy Linux - Games 1513 06-07-2017 03:08 PM
Linux Programs Ported to Windoze ddpicard General 15 08-05-2010 06:59 PM
Has Winamp been ported to Linux? neilcpp Linux - Software 48 05-31-2010 03:00 PM
Exeem to be ported to linux cadj Linux - Networking 0 01-26-2005 11:02 PM
New Forums! Want a game ported to Linux? Jimbobbob Linux - Games 5 10-04-2003 01:31 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration