LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2019, 12:31 AM   #1
Many Questions
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2018
Location: Atlantis
Distribution: Cinnamon
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: 0
What is This?


In Synaptics Package Manager, I see sections like "installed" and whatnot & there's one called "Not Installed (residual config).

Do I need to install these?
Also, one of them says "libktoblzcheck1v5" which apparently checks for bank verification codes or something.

Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-01-15 00-26-22.png
Views:	14
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	29469  
 
Old 01-15-2019, 12:58 AM   #2
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 19.1 MATE
Posts: 8,018
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many Questions View Post
In Synaptics Package Manager, I see sections like "installed" and whatnot & there's one called "Not Installed (residual config).

Do I need to install these?
Also, one of them says "libktoblzcheck1v5" which apparently checks for bank verification codes or something.

Is this normal?
When you install a package, there are normally three types of files installed/modified:

The application itself + system configuration files + user configuration files

When you remove a package, only the first of these is actually removed, i.e. the application itself. If you also want the system configuration files to be removed, you can purge the package rather than remove it (although you can also do this as a separate action after removal). I don't use Synaptic but I think that it calls the purging of a package its "complete removal".

In either case, the user configuration files are always left behind. These are normally files in your home directory, usually dot files (existing in a directory that starts with a dot). They are left so that you can reinstall a package and retain all your user settings for that package. They must be deleted manually as a separate action if you so desire.

Anyway, packages that are marked as having "residual configuration" are packages that you previously had installed on your system but which you removed, but didn't purge in order to remove the system configuration files.

In my experience I have never needed to remove a package and not go ahead and purge it. I recommend therefore that you completely remove those packages flagged as "Not Installed (residual config)" and that in the future you purge all packages when removing them.

Last edited by hydrurga; 01-15-2019 at 01:00 AM.
 
Old 01-15-2019, 02:17 AM   #3
Many Questions
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2018
Location: Atlantis
Distribution: Cinnamon
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
When you install a package, there are normally three types of files installed/modified:

The application itself + system configuration files + user configuration files

When you remove a package, only the first of these is actually removed, i.e. the application itself. If you also want the system configuration files to be removed, you can purge the package rather than remove it (although you can also do this as a separate action after removal). I don't use Synaptic but I think that it calls the purging of a package its "complete removal".

In either case, the user configuration files are always left behind. These are normally files in your home directory, usually dot files (existing in a directory that starts with a dot). They are left so that you can reinstall a package and retain all your user settings for that package. They must be deleted manually as a separate action if you so desire.

Anyway, packages that are marked as having "residual configuration" are packages that you previously had installed on your system but which you removed, but didn't purge in order to remove the system configuration files.

In my experience I have never needed to remove a package and not go ahead and purge it. I recommend therefore that you completely remove those packages flagged as "Not Installed (residual config)" and that in the future you purge all packages when removing them.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if that package I named is safe and why it would be on my pc?
 
Old 01-15-2019, 02:33 AM   #4
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 19.1 MATE
Posts: 8,018
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872Reputation: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many Questions View Post
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if that package I named is safe and why it would be on my pc?
It must have been previously installed on your system then removed. So, either it came with your default install or you installed it, either explicitly or as a dependency of another package.

The following command:

Code:
apt list libktoblzcheck1v5
shows that the package in question is in the Ubuntu bionic repositories (on my system anyway, you have given no indication as to which distro and version you are running), while:

Code:
apt show libktoblzcheck1v5
indicates that it is a:

"library for verification of account numbers and bank codes libktoblzcheck is a library for verification of bank account numbers and bank codes (BLZ) of German Banks. It is based on the specifications of the "Deutsche Bundesbank". It also supports the verification of international bank account numbers (IBAN) and bank identifier codes (BIC)."

Looks harmless enough to me.

The command:

Code:
apt rdepends libktoblzcheck1v5
shows that the following packages depend on it:

Code:
libktoblzcheck1-dev
python-ktoblzcheck
gnucash
libaqbanking35-plugins
ktoblzcheck
The most likely suspect among those is GnuCash. Did you ever have that package installed on your system?
 
Old 01-15-2019, 02:34 AM   #5
hazel
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,035
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 2230Reputation: 2230Reputation: 2230Reputation: 2230Reputation: 2230Reputation: 2230Reputation: 2230Reputation: 2230Reputation: 2230Reputation: 2230Reputation: 2230
Deleted

Last edited by hazel; 01-15-2019 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Just read the post again. I misinterpreted the attached screenshot..
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration