LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   very confusing (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/very-confusing-471439/)

metallica1973 08-06-2006 09:55 PM

very confusing
 
why is that when I am in a KDE session and I run and xterm session and use the command without the path:

xllvnc -rfbauth /home/dada/.vnc/passwd -many &

it executes fine. The file x11vnc is owned by root.

but if I run the same command from the path of the file I get an error message that is can find the file like:

/usr/local/sbin/xllvnc -rfbauth /home/dada/.vnc/passwd -many &

no file or directory

What I am trying to do is create a script that will execute this command from clicking an icon. Or better using SUSE 10 /etc/init.d/boot.local. Everytime I do that it fails saying that it can find the command either way I try and use it. What the heck is going on?

win32sux 08-06-2006 10:03 PM

what's the output of:
Code:

whereis xllvnc
and:
Code:

ls -l /usr/local/sbin/xllvnc

metallica1973 08-07-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

what's the output of:
whereis

/usr/local/sbin/xllvnc - correct path

and

ls -l /usr/local/sbin/xllvnc - rwx,rx,x

owned by root and root group

win32sux 08-07-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallica1973
whereis

/usr/local/sbin/xllvnc - correct path

and

ls -l /usr/local/sbin/xllvnc - rwx,rx,x

owned by root and root group

it would be great if you could copy/paste the output into here, so that we can see *exactly* what you get... i mean, for example, that "ls -l" output you posted doesn't really make any sense at all...

run the commands as your non-root user (dada or whatever)... oh, and let's see you echo your path also, please:
Code:

echo $PATH

metallica1973 08-07-2006 04:48 PM

Here is the results from that machine

ls -l /usr/local/bin/x11vnc

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2434946 2006-07-23 18:31 /usr/local/bin/x11vnc

echo $PATH

/home/cozyed46/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin

whereis

x11vnc: /usr/local/bin/x11vnc

there are the results

what gives?

win32sux 08-07-2006 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metallica1973
ls -l /usr/local/bin/x11vnc

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2434946 2006-07-23 18:31 /usr/local/bin/x11vnc

echo $PATH

/home/cozyed46/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games:
/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:
/usr/lib/mit/sbin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin

whereis

x11vnc: /usr/local/bin/x11vnc

could you confirm that you are indeed typing the right command name?? because this is completely different than what's in your OP:
Quote:

Originally Posted by metallica1973
why is that when I am in a KDE session and I run and xterm session and use the command without the path:

xllvnc -rfbauth /home/dada/.vnc/passwd -many &

it executes fine. The file x11vnc is owned by root.

but if I run the same command from the path of the file I get an error message that is can find the file like:

/usr/local/sbin/xllvnc -rfbauth /home/dada/.vnc/passwd -many &

no file or directory

so the error you are getting there makes perfect sense...

also, from your "ls -l" i can see there's a link to the file somewhere... which is the link??
Code:

find / -type l -exec ls -l {} \; | grep x11vnc
PS: please use code tags when you post output... that echo $PATH output of yours is messing-up the page layout... :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.