LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #16
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Hiding somewhere on planet Earth.
Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system
Posts: 1,711
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoratxtal View Post
Sadly Ubuntu and Debian seem to be on the road to hell, forever including untested software.
You obviously know a lot about Debian. The usual complaint about Debian is that the software is too old, because nothing is added until after it has been tested long enough to ensure there are no bugs. (That is the reason Debian is described as a stable system.) So where on Earth did you find information (or more appropriately, misinformation) indicating Debian's software is untested.

Last edited by Randicus Draco Albus; 02-10-2013 at 02:37 AM.
 
Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
trevoratxtal
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Location: South Devon, UK
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Suse, Mint, Puppy.
Posts: 76

Rep: Reputation: 20
Debian has problems too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
You obviously know a lot about Debian. The usual complaint about Debian is that the software is too old, because nothing is added until after it has been tested long enough to ensure there are no bugs. (That is the reason Debian is described as a stable system.) So where on Earth did you find information (or more appropriately, misinformation) indicating Debian's software is untested.
Please Read again my post.
I have yet to be able to install or run any Ubuntu flavours without hacking the system,
I have been unable to install Debian for some years without hacking it.
5 or 6 years back it was my platform of choice but it went buggy and as you say Old, it would not work on new machines, usb attachments, video or sound cards.
I tried a net install of Debian two weeks ago it succeeded in turning off my monitor as it tried to force incompatible scan frequency.
So it is not tested and is buggy!
I do not waste my time if any flavour is that bad.Like a rotten Apple I spit it out and try a new flavour.
Regards
Trev
 
Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Hiding somewhere on planet Earth.
Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system
Posts: 1,711
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634
If you cannot install any Buntu or Debian (which will run on almost anything), what hardware are you using? Is it something exotic? Will Suse, Slackware or Fedora run on it? Your situation, as you describe it, is not the norm. You have left out some piece of critical information.
 
Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #19
trevoratxtal
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Location: South Devon, UK
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Suse, Mint, Puppy.
Posts: 76

Rep: Reputation: 20
Talking English not my first subject.

off topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
If you cannot install any Buntu or Debian (which will run on almost anything), what hardware are you using? Is it something exotic? Will Suse, Slackware or Fedora run on it? Your situation, as you describe it, is not the norm. You have left out some piece of critical information.
Randicus Draco Albus.
Poor Latin ""Radical White Dragon""
As a English teacher you appear to have a problem reading my post, you are off topic.
You are native to Suzhou China and as such it seems English is not your first language.
I am not an English teacher but I understand it. So case closed.
PS cannot is not one word but two,nor did I use it. your Americanisms show.
Regards
trev
Kung Hey Fat Choy

Last edited by trevoratxtal; 02-11-2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Add Greetings
 
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #20
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4870Reputation: 4870Reputation: 4870Reputation: 4870Reputation: 4870Reputation: 4870Reputation: 4870Reputation: 4870Reputation: 4870Reputation: 4870Reputation: 4870
This is an international forum with many members that do not have English as their native language (including me). So language problems will always occur and just criticizing someone who actually is interested in the problems you have with your computer (as Randicus Draco Albus stated, those problems with Debian based distributions are not the norm) for their not perfect English is not the way to go on this forum.
Randicus Draco Albus may be off-topic, but because he as an active user of Debian is interested in the problems that can occur with the distribution. He may even be able to solve your problems, giving you a whole new universe of distributions to try (most distributions out there are based on Debian or Ubuntu), actually improving your situation.
 
Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #21
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Hiding somewhere on planet Earth.
Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system
Posts: 1,711
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634
TobiSGD I doth taketh exception to thine exhortation that mine English is not perfect. 'Tis not true. I hath not a need to endeavoureth to improve it.

On a serious note; I did learn a lesson in this thread. Which kind of posts not to respond to. So in a twisted way, this person performed an educational service.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #22
EDDY1
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 6,838

Rep: Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
TobiSGD I doth taketh exception to thine exhortation that mine English is not perfect. 'Tis not true. I hath not a need to endeavoureth to improve it.

On a serious note; I did learn a lesson in this thread. Which kind of posts not to respond to. So in a twisted way, this person performed an educational service.
You took it quite well.
 
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
trevoratxtal
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Location: South Devon, UK
Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Suse, Mint, Puppy.
Posts: 76

Rep: Reputation: 20
Off topic becomes international.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
This is an international forum with many members that do not have English as their native language (including me). So language problems will always occur and just criticizing someone who actually is interested in the problems you have with your computer (as Randicus Draco Albus stated, those problems with Debian based distributions are not the norm) for their not perfect English is not the way to go on this forum.
Randicus Draco Albus may be off-topic, but because he as an active user of Debian is interested in the problems that can occur with the distribution. He may even be able to solve your problems, giving you a whole new universe of distributions to try (most distributions out there are based on Debian or Ubuntu), actually improving your situation.
Dear TobiSGD
I concur with some of your comments, but not when the comments are based on NOT reading my first comment, but only the follow up post.
Please read post 15 the following is part off it
Sadly Ubuntu and Debian seem to be on the road to hell, forever including untested software.
""I have yet to be able to install or run any Ubuntu flavours without hacking the system, however I have been able to install Tens Nay Hundreds of other Linux flavours with little or no problems.
I endeavour to try every Linux Flavour ever published so it is not that I have not tried.""
I was doing my best to help "thatgrrl" with a problem and offered an alternative, in fact many alternatives.
Sadly one gentleman took it personally.
I have no wish ever to install buggy or faulty software, however I am willing to help them that help themselves.
It is with regret the gentleman took it personally that I did not find Ubuntu or Debian worth installing.
"" (most distributions out there are based on Debian or Ubuntu)"" I do not believe it true maybe total usage but not distributions, even that depends if one finds truth in claims for Ubuntu, as the maths do not add up.
The Gentleman added nothing positive to help, but misquoted me, that was my comment about first language.
English is not my first language that is why I try to use correct words. Were as Randicus Draco Albus purports to be an English Teacher. source=Google
And PS I use 24 computers of ages 35 years to last years, many with differing flavours of Linux.
The earliest is the Intel 4 bit 2020. Pre IBM UNIX or Linux.
Trev
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Root unable to delete file grob115 Linux - Security 18 06-03-2011 12:23 PM
Fedora 13 Installation issue -- Unable to install multiple linux distributions ---partition issue navneethr Linux - General 6 12-23-2010 12:17 AM
Unable to install crclient which is an executable file for linux singh2471 Linux - Newbie 15 05-03-2010 02:03 PM
[SOLVED] Unable to delete file as root RattleSn@ke Linux - Security 5 02-12-2010 11:43 AM
Unable to boot RHEL 5.2 and Unable to mount root file system in rescue mode vknemannavar Red Hat 5 01-29-2010 10:05 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration