LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #46
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,836
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251

Quote:
This AuroraCA at first compliments me, then disses me later on... Are you ok?
Are YOU ok, davidx?

Quote:
Why would you compliemnt me in your first posts to me, then egg on me later? I think some people who aren't appealing to the opposite sex act out in a rage at others who find happiness in choosing things they may not agree, like, choosing an o/s. Because of their frustration, if you're not loyal to their beliefs, like, an o/s, they lash out at you. To them, an o/s is a replacement for a woman they know they can never have. If you diss their "woman", they'll lash out.

So, AuroraCA, we can imagine what you're going through... it's ok, buddy.
Seriously, what are you on about?
 
Old 11-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #47
trickykid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,149

Rep: Reputation: 270Reputation: 270Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidx View Post
This AuroraCA at first compliments me, then disses me later on... Are you ok? Why would you compliemnt me in your first posts to me, then egg on me later? I think some people who aren't appealing to the opposite sex act out in a rage at others who find happiness in choosing things they may not agree, like, choosing an o/s. Because of their frustration, if you're not loyal to their beliefs, like, an o/s, they lash out at you. To them, an o/s is a replacement for a woman they know they can never have. If you diss their "woman", they'll lash out.

So, AuroraCA, we can imagine what you're going through... it's ok, buddy.

.
You're not reading his post correctly, he started off addressing their reply to i92guboj.. Here's the quote (notice i92guboj at the beginning to directly respond to their response in post #11):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraCA View Post
i92guboj

That was a very well written and reasoned response. You show a great depth of knowledge and understanding with your comments. It's quite obvious you have a broad experience with Linux and Windows products and have presented very objective comments.

Thanks. I enjoyed reading it.
I'm guessing AuroraCA should just quote the member they want to directly reply to in their responses but it's pretty clear they weren't addressing you're first post.

And I agree with the OP except for totally different reasons stated by the OP, Ubuntu does suck, install Slackware instead..

Last edited by trickykid; 11-10-2008 at 03:01 PM.
 
Old 11-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #48
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,083

Rep: Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405
davidx, that comment about AuroraCA (might AuroraCA be a he or a she) is completely uncalled for. In first place, AuroraCA never complimented to you. It was just your imagination and you reading things the way you want to read them. That compliment was aimed to another person (that happens to be me, but that's irrelevant). If you look at that post again you can see the name of the target of the compliment underlined so it can be seen better, it's the first thing on the post.

There's nothing wrong with the mood of AuroraCA. I think that it was rather your ego playing bad games on yourself.

You are making a joke of yourself if you are going into personal attacks just because people don't agree with you.
 
Old 11-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #49
monkeytaco
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
I could be in the wrong forum. I thought I could receive help here, as per my request in post #41. If someone desires, please help. This seems more a debate thread than one of help. If davidx has no desire to use a linux distro, he could help by leaving.
 
Old 11-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #50
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,083

Rep: Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405
monkeytaco, sorry for ignoring you, but -indeed- I didn't even see your question in the middle of the thread.

Your best bet is to start a thread in the newbie subforum, there you will get a better chance to get help, and the responses related to your question will not get lost in the middle of a discussion.

Cheers and welcome.
 
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #51
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Debian Testing
Posts: 19,192
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
I could have sworn that an extremely fair minded, intelligent, reasonable and damn sexy moderator asked nicely for everyone to move on from attacking the OP (and other members) for a contrary opinion and to move on to addressing the issues raised. Oh yes, so they did.

From this point on, cease and desist attacking the format of the message and go on to the issues raised. If this continues, I will close the thread. Which will be a shame because this is on the verge of being a useful discussion.
 
Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #52
DragonSlayer48DX
Registered User
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,454
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by fair_is_fair
Reasonable thread and reasonable people considering the subject and how it is presented.

I've been disappointed in buntus for years but I have to admit the last two releases have been "not bad". They still have a long way to go and seem to be slow getting there despite the resources.

Many of the less popular distros are basically one-man shows and are still able to blow buntus out of the water. Makes you wonder what the h*ll is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidx View Post
I do agree with you... no doubt!

.
I confess, I had to laugh when I read that post. Reminds me of when I upgraded from 6.06 to 8.04. Followed the instructions carefully, and, even though it said the upgrade was successful, when I rebooted to complete the upgrade, I had nothing. No Ubuntu, no terminal... just page after page of errors before the system froze. I rebooted several times, even into recovery mode, and still nothing changed. So I ended up downloading and burning the full version and installing from scratch. Of course, I have a good sense of humor and lots of experience with crashing and reinstalling Windows, so it was really no big deal. Just a little bug that needs fixed.

Cheers
 
Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #53
polarbear20000
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Crestview, FL
Distribution: Slackware 13, Debian 8.1
Posts: 105
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 17
I'll add my 1 & 1/2 cents (adjusted for inflation, y'know.) I've tried Ubuntu - I like some of it, don't care for others of it, but don't complain about it too much. I would rather ask for help or help others. I think that it's getting better, but it still isn't quite a fit for my personality.

OP, I'll assume that you've tried other distros - what do you think of those?
 
Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #54
davidx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 83

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
I am not a big fan of Ubuntu, however, I think it does a great service for many people and there's really no base for some of your claims.
What you just said in itself has no basis (use spellcheck) since you're not me and I’m the one affected by my ubuntu experience. So, I really don’t know what you're talking about.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Well, flash a an Adobe product, not related to linux. Complain to them, there's nothing we can do to fix it since it's closed source.
Since there’s been a linux version for quite some time, it is related to linux. Complain? Nah, I’m not the one with the problem anymore. It’s your problem now – I'll leave that up to you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
In linux, reformating is not the way to fix things. We actually fix things and make them work. This only shows your inexperience, we all have been there at some point.
Oh, really? Then explain why many people on this forum and on others, even pro IT people – who know way more about linux than in your dreams – recommend that I reformat my system? If you indeed fix things, explain why this thread was written? DUHH! By the way, your help on my past issues with ubuntu didn’t help. It’s actually harmed my system. This only shows that you're an inexperienced little ubuntu fanboy who can’t even fix ubuntu.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
OO is a product by Sun, and it also works under Windows. Try it under windows, if the scrolling problem persists then blame sun, if it doesn't then we might assume that something else needs attention. But the way to help is to report the thing on the bug trackers. Complaining here is not going to help on improving it. I could blame your video driver, since you seem to be having issues with color depth as well. If that's the case and the driver is closed source there's nothing we can do to fix it either. Complain the the hardware manufacturer in that case.
I did try openoffice in windows. And guess what? It scrolls perfectly without the slow jerks prevalent under ubuntu. So, now what, genius? Is it Sun’s fault now? And to correct you, a forum like this is the very place where complaints are made to find solutions to problems. I strongly suggest that you surf this forum AGAIN and see that 98% of threads here are about people’s problems. But like you said, I got to complain to the manufacturer, oops, I mean, forum administrator. You're smart!


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote: Loading a doc in Writer takes 14 seconds. Loading a Word doc on XP takes me 3 seconds! Wow!

Use a preloader that there's around. That's what msoffice does, only then the comparison would be fair.
I did use a preloader. But, alas, poor ubuntu wasn’t as fast as windows in opening docs... oh woe is me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote: Windows ’95 is an outdated 13 year old o/s that ubuntu in its recent release shouldn’t have to compete with in performance.

This is a nonsense. Of course that win95 runs a lot faster. It's a program from, well, 1995 and it was designed to run on a 486 at 33mhz. It will run at the speed of light on a quad core 3000+ mhz. No mystery there.
Hey everyone! Please re-read what this guy said. He admits before our very eyes that win ’95, “runs a lot faster.” I'll retype it out of satisfaction:
“Of course that win95 runs a lot faster.”
“Of course that win95 runs a lot faster.”
“Of course that win95 runs a lot faster.”
“Of course that win95 runs a lot faster.”


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
if you are going to stick to ms programs and don't want to bother learning to use oowriter, then you should stick to windows.
But that’s the reason why I stuck with MS programs, because oowriter sucks. I’ll let you learn about and become frustrated with oowriter yourself, since you're its number one fan!


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Ubuntu is not going to be the distro with the fastest boot time. Windows doesn't boot that fast either, it continues loading stuff from many seconds to many minutes before you are presented your desktop.
Oh, really? Are you sure about that Eintein? Then explain why on the XP that I’m currently replying to you on, am I able to boot up in 27 seconds! That’s 27 seconds compared to ubuntu’s boot up time of ONE MINUTE AND 34 SECONDS.... Riiiiiiiight !!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote: Video and sound - When I’d play an mp3 through banshee or songbird, the app would take 11 secs to load.

There are lots of players available. If you choose a heavy player you can't expect it to react as quick as the windows media players, that's tightly embedded into your OS.

I think that you are just using the wrong tools for your purposes. It's just inexperience.
I tried all the players out there and despite their flaws, they still run SLOWER than players on windows, case in point, VLC. It’s got nothing to do with inexperience. My friend who is an IT wiz helped me with my ubuntu. Even he couldn’t get it to work fast. But maybe you're right... it’s his inexperience - although he’s a programmer and developer. By the way, are you an experienced developer like my friend? Hmmmm... things to wonder.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote:Printing -
I'll answer with a question. If you buy a printer for a mac (with mac-only drivers), would you complain if it doesn't work in windows or it works only with some generic driver?

Hint: check that your hardware is compatible with your os before buying it. You need to check compatibility: yes. Is that the linux problem? No. Linux has no control about the decisions of the hardware manufacturers/driver makers.
I'll answer this with a question. If you already have a printer that works with generic drivers, but doesn’t do a good job of printing, would you blame the driver or the printer?

Hint: Think hard before answering this, buddy!


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Something that you can't ever doubt is that any linux filesystem is far superior to fat32. I have no objective info about ntfs though.
Based on my experience with linux, I must doubt that statement. If linux’s file system is superior to XP’s, then why do files and directories open speedily on the fly in XP relative to linux? This is an observation based on my experience.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
As a developer, believe me, Ubuntu would be my last choice. And even then, I would prefer to build my own OS before sticking to Ubuntu. If I wanted a shinny OS which is based on assistants and dumbed down to the bone, I would be using Windows. I don't think that Ubuntu does a good developing platform. It's a distro that's oriented to the regular user and that aims towards simplicity. And it works surprisingly well for thousands of -happy I might add- users.

Windows has also it's own assortment of problems, and some people can't install it on certain combinations of hardware.
Ok, with all due “respect,” you contradict yourself. All along you’ve spent significant time in defending ubuntu as a good system while beating up windows. Now, you're saying that you'd stay away from ubuntu like the plague and instead use windows. Do any of you think this guy makes sense? Then you said that windows has its own problems. Yes, that’s true. But, linux users experience FAR more problems than XP users. You'd be dumb not to believe so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quoteon’t even dual-boot it - you may run into problems you’ll later regret.

No. Just learn how to do it. Dual booting poses no problem at all. Just because you don't know how to drive an hellicopter you shouldn't be advising everyone not to do it. Millions of persons dual boot linux, windows and many other oses without a problem.
No. just be safe about it.

Personally, I know of 3 people who have dual-booted and lost all their info in the process. And, there are scantless scores of other users who have suffered the same tragedy. There’s a guy here in this thread who had the same issue. Therefore, your statement that dual-boting poses no risk is wrong. I’m not saying that dual-booting harms your system; there are thousands who dual boot with linux well. But, saying that there’s no risk is absolutely inaccurate. Want proof? Google it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote:Remember that ubuntu is a never ending work-in-progress. It ain’t XP.

Funny sentence, considering that each version of windows I test is unusable and completely insecure until service pack I arrives a couple of years later. No disrespect intended, but the only difference is that MS maintains everything closed so you can't see it, while in linux everything is open to the public.
You mean, funny o/s (ubuntu). You're funny when you imply that since MS maintains closed source while linux is wide open, linux must be better. Hmmm... if open is sooooo much better, why are there soooooo many (including moi!) having sooooo many issues with it? In my year of using linux, I've had over 250 posts submitted for help on it. On a windows forum, I've had no more than 15 submitted. Big difference..


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote:Why all the hoopla about ubuntu?...
Ubuntu is supported and toyed by linux fan boys and admirers who see Microsoft as this 1984 Big Brother giant ready to take over the world.

Believe it or not, the sci-fi tale was made up by you. I am not particularly happy about any foundation having such a big amount of power, might it be MS or whatever other foundation. But that doesn't mean I feel that paranoid about it. However, the fact that ms has the potential to have spyware watching your finances and private documents (and that's not sci-fi, but something perfectly possible) is not appealing. You have no way to tell for sure that nothing is being sent out without our consent, and you can no way to ensure that no back door is open.
Ha ha ha... You just contradicted yourself. First, you say that my sci-fi big brother tale is just a fantasy. Then, you go on and on about depicting MS as an evil powerful company with the potential of spying on all of us.... So, if MS is not big brother, why are you depicting it as if it is? Then, you say you're not paranoid. But, then you say that you can't tell for sure that info from MS is being sent without consent, describing MS as a corporate giant spy... Sounds like paranoia to me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
But I have absolutely no problem with you using windows if you want to do so.
So, if you have no problem with anyone using windows, why do you make such a big stink about it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
I'm not particularly interested in comparing products that are intrinsically different.
Wow! Then why did you spend typing large amounts of text in comparing windows and linux?


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
I use linux because it's the os that does what I need. Windows can't do it since a long long time ago, simple to understand.
Then, why did you admit that win ’95 was faster? Here’s your quote: “Of course that win95 runs a lot faster.”


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote:Now, at this point you may be thinking that I sound like a Microsoft fan myself. On the contrary, I’m not fan, foe, or defender of any o/s. To me, an o/s is an o/s regardless of origin. If ubuntu had given me what XP failed to provide me, I’d have written ubuntu in a good light and bashed XP to the hilt. However, this is not the case.

I think that you really think that way, and that's a good thing. You really have my respect whatever your OS of choice is. However you have a little problem of bias. You expect everything to be done in linux like it's done in windows, and that's not the way it works.
Hey everyone, watch this... If I were biased, then explain why I mention that linux is superior to XP in networking and customization. Wait, don’t tell me... I must be biased.

Then he says that I “have his respect whatever o/s of choice.” More jokes... If that’s ture, then why did you type a term paper on bashing me for my choice of o/s?


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Linux doesn't have to work like windows. That would be as absurd.
Yep! It sure would be!


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote: Once you struggle with ubuntu, you'll be screaming to get XP back! Vista may be bloated and somewhat problematic. But, it’s a much, much better option than ubuntu without a doubt!

Such is the beauty of freedom. That's an opinion, lots of people seem to think the contrary however. As I said, I am not an Ubuntu fan, so I don't know what would my category be there.
If freedom is beautiful, why are you wrtiting in such a manner as to deter one from using windows? Also, my 3 friends who had installed ubuntu are now happily back to windows... will you permit them the freedom of using windows now? I'll let them know, Mr. ubuntu fan.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote: I strongly urge all of you reading this article to avoid ubuntu at all cost. The migraines are not worth it. Take it from a guy who’s spent nights awake into the wee hours of the morning struggling (there’s that word again) with getting a system without solution to work. If you want stability, stick with XP or Mac. XP is still an awesome and fast system. Vista is bloated and not issue-less. But, it’s better than ubuntu. When it boils down to efficiency and performance, ubuntu leaves much to be desired. Stick with peace of mind, stay with XP. Trust me!

I understand your frustration. But really, do you think that the many thousands of happy ubuntu users are either lying or lobotomized? Do you think that anyone is going to pay attention to such advice? Again, I dislike Ubuntu for many reasons, but I don't think it deserves an horrible death.
If you understand my frustration, why then are you basically saying that I'm wrong?


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
But really, do you think that the many thousands of happy ubuntu users are either lying or lobotomized? Do you think that anyone is going to pay attention to such advice?
No, but I do believe that they’ve had frustrations and sleepless nights over ubuntu’s problems. And as I've said before, 2 of my buddies have spend whole weekends trying to fix their problems, and another just gave up finally. In all, they all switched back to windows. Do you think they were happy?

And yes, I believe people will pay attention to my advice. The proof? Read over my thread and find those who say ubuntu sucks. And you even admitted that you don’t like ubuntu.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote:Ubuntu’s future...
Realistically speaking, I doubt if ubuntu will ever compete with Windows. Some say it'll take another 10 years. Whatever the time frame, I highly doubt it'll replace Windows. Ubuntu is both GUI and command-based, a bit too complicated for beginners.

That comment is derived of the inexperience I was talking before, and the -wrong- assumption that everything should work like the only OS you know.
No, its derived from frustration.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Remember: linux is not windows, it doesn't need to. It works in a different way and there's no reason why it should be like windows.
Thank god!


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Remember: linux is not windows. It works in a different way and there's no reason why it should be like windows. There's not a reason why a plane should work like a car, and that would be a crazy idea indeed.
Bad analogy. A better one is windows being a ferrari running automatic while ubuntu is gas-guzzling truck running stick-shift.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj
Quote:Ubuntu developers don’t use a good model in improving a product. They fail to make an o/s that matches or exceeds XP. They should be competing with XP, not with other linux distros.

I don't think they ever meant to compete with anyone. That's another assumption you make there that doesn't necessarily reflect the reality.
No, you're wrong again, buddy. You make assumptions you can't back, which is your weakness. Ubuntu came out as an option to windows. Therefore, in so doing, they put themselves in direct competition with MS.

If I were you, I’d do a little more unbiased research and less fanboyism of a system that many have constant problems with.

.
 
Old 11-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #55
cedricd
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraCA View Post
i92guboj

That was a very well written and reasoned response. You show a great depth of knowledge and understanding with your comments. It's quite obvious you have a broad experience with Linux and Windows products and have presented very objective comments.

Thanks. I enjoyed reading it.

Seconded. Nice reply, was very informative and interesting
 
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #56
nigelc
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Distribution: Mageia 7
Posts: 406
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 80
This sounds like one those nasty trolls. If one has been using computers for 13 years then you should be able to work it all out. Any version of Linux will never be like windows. There are some that look similar. Re-formatting the disk is what you have with a windows systems. I have never re-formated a Linux system because it doesn't work. Ubuntu is one of the easier distros to use.
Install a text based one from scratch, then you might learn something about how operating systems work.
Some people think they know all about computers because they know a little bit about windows.
 
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #57
farslayer
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Distribution: linuxdebian
Posts: 7,249
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 191Reputation: 191
I'm thinking 'don't feed the trolls' this thread is done..
 
Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #58
davidx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 83

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Well, hello there again!... (davidx waving at fanboy)

Quote:
originally posted by i92guboj
Quote: I tried all the word processors for ubuntu and what tops them all is Word through Wine. Word is still the most intuitive word app on any platform, hands down.

That's your view, and a very respectable one I might add. But just your view.

I have been a teacher for a couple of years, and still teach friends, family and occasionally other persons. For someone that doesn't know anything about Word, OOWriter is an easy thing to learn. I talk from my experience with people that don't know a thing about word processing. For them, and this is a fact, it's equally complicated to learn msoffice and openoffice, and I am talking about basic word processing, nothing advanced.

So, that's a moot point.
That’s your biased view, and a very respectably biased one, I might add. But just your biased view.

You're not a teacher by any stretch and you know it. you don’t go around and teach people word processing. For someone who doesn’t know anything about computers, Word is the most intuitive processor around. Case in point: the billions of people who use daily around the world. Also, my friends have complained about it: bulleted spaces; formatting contradictories; slow scroll; slow load time; missing data; and the list goes on. You don’t talk from experience, since you don’t know much about computers. You talk from your inability to defend yourself on this thread. MS Office is easy to use and billions agree. Openoffice still has kinks that the smart nerds at Sun are too lazy about fixing. And I am talking about basic word processing, nothing more.

So, you have a moot point.


Quote:
i92guboj
Quote:Actually, there is alot of hoopa about ubuntu on this forum and other sites. Don't you use google? Check it out. And, ubuntu is not exactly a beginner linux o/s. It’s command-based and therefore is not for everyone. Your use of the term "beginner" is relative, not absolute.

Yes, it's relative, but if you really think that Ubuntu is not for beginners, then you don't qualify to use linux. Don't missunderstand me. It's not because you are less smart than anyone else, but because you refuse to learn anything new. You will only be able to use things that work on a similar way to those that you already know, and nothing else.
Fanboy is getting angry, again. If you think that ubuntu is made for beginners, then put it to the test... have your boss and friends at work use it. See if you don’t get yelled at. If you think that ubuntu is made for the average joe, then you don’t qualify to use computers.

Don’t misunderstand me. It’s not because you're less smart (who knows?), but because you refuse to learn anything new about other systems outside of ubuntu. You contradict yourelf and fool others into believing and using a system that they don’t understand and refuse to use. Just because you use it doesn’t mean everyone and their mother should use it too. You only use a system that you're not even an expert in and don’t know how to use well any way, nothing more.


Quote:
i92guboj
Ubuntu is widely used by people who have NEVER EVER touched a computer on their entire life. Old persons that even find difficult to use Windows, persons that don't understand how to use the memory functions of a simple hand calculator like my father.
Hahahaha.... do you expect us all to believe that ubuntu “is widely used by people who have NEVER EVER touched a computer in their entire life”? Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!! Ok fanboy, I think you should quit while I’m way ahead and, get a career in comedy... you're funny!


Quote:
i92guboj
On the contrary, the one that thinks that knows how everything should work loses the ability to learn new things.
i92guboj, for once I truly agree with you! So, please follow your own advice.


Quote:
i92guboj
I have a wide experience with linux, and a not-so-wide experience teaching different programs and OSes to different peoples ranging from 10 years or less (can't remember) to 80 or so. I've used many different Oses.
Really? Then why do you say things that an expert would never say? And, come on, you're not fooling anyone here. You don’t teach 10 year olds or (hahaha) senior citizens. You're not a good liar.


Quote:
i92guboj
I don't claim to be a linux guru by any means.
Alrighttttt!!! Let's all travel back into time and read what i92guboj said:
“As a developer, believe me, Ubuntu would be my last choice.”

So, you don’t claim to be a guru... but, if that’s true, why do you claim to be a developer, which we ALL know by your answers is not true? I want to see him get out of that one!

And notice that he admits that ubuntu would be his last choice.


Quote:
i92guboj
Cheers. I enjoy the conversation as well.
Trust me, the pleasure was ALLLLLL mine! Hahaha!!!


Quote:
i92guboj
PS: I find particularly funny this asseveration:

Quote: ubuntu is not exactly a beginner linux o/s. It;s command-based and therefore is not for everyone

As I already said, MSDOS was the OS for beginners not that long ago. In fact, most people used it until win98 was out.
Ummm.... I hate to break it to you, but we’re not discussing DOS... we’re discussing ubuntu which is a command-lins system to windows, which is a gui.

You know, to cut through the chase, go around and take a survey at a mall, your job, at a high school, even at a park. Show them ubuntu and XP... See which system they choose. If most choose ubuntu over XP, I'll gladly move to Iran.

And one more thing... it’s not ‘asseveration’, it’s spelled ‘observation.’

Have a nice life, fanboy!

.
 
Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #59
davidx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 83

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H View Post
Well, I can understand where davidx is coming from. I actually agree with many of the points made there, because they are true, mostly for certain software versions.
H_TeXMeX, thank you for your words. I greatly appreciate it. And, I'd like to especially thank you for helping me out in my past issues with dumbuntu. Thanks, buddy.

.
 
Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #60
davidx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 83

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
Are YOU ok, davidx?



Seriously, what are you on about?
Looks, like AuroraCA has a fan.

.
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's with all the "linux sucks" and "ubuntu sucks" articles on the Internet? Ntvu Linux - General 42 11-11-2008 02:16 PM
ADMtek 8211 in Mandrake 9.2? isdnip Linux - Wireless Networking 34 01-24-2004 07:33 AM
ADM 8211 driver ntuus Linux - Networking 0 10-07-2003 11:48 PM
Linux RH 9.0 ADM 8211 driver brooksn Linux - Hardware 1 08-25-2003 08:48 PM
HELP!! ADMTek 8211 and Red Hat 9.0 Crawfy Linux - Networking 0 08-12-2003 04:32 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration