I apologize for posting this entry twice. But, the previous one MAKES NO SENSE. I entered the first set of QUOTE tags by hand and got it wrong. Here is how that entry should have looked.
Last thing that I did was to configure MPlayer to use the alsa audio driver. However, funny thing about that. I have the alsa-lib 1.0.3a-2 package installed (also by RPM) but MPlayer offers the ALSA-0.9.x-1.x driver as a choice. With that selection audio from Mozilla streamed videos improved greatly.
Apparently this did not work as well as I thought. MPlayer doesn't seem to recognize this alsa driver as being present. Even though XMMS works well with alsa 1.0.3a-2 installed with FC2, the ALSA-0.9.1-1.x must not actually be present. If I run mplayer from the terminal and play a video I get a flashing error box stating that I file cannot be found. That was solved by reverting to the OSS driver what MPlayer was originally configured to use when run from the terminal/menu.
This got me to thinking about other drivers that MPlayer might used. I tried them all. OSS, ALSA, mpegpes, arts, esd, sdl, null and pcm can all be selected from the audio tab of the MPlayer preferences dialog. But, only OSS and esd seem to work and of these only OSS works well.
However configuring MPlayer here HAS NO AFFECT when mplayer is called to stream video in Mozilla. This I did not realize when I posted my original entry.
Any ideas on what to try next?
Yes. RT*M and learn to configure mozplugger to call mplayer to stream video for Mozilla. That means editing the /etc/mozpluggerrc file. Although the first line of the file says that it is a generated file and not to edit it. But, I don't know of a configure tool for mozplugger except my editor. Well a configure script or make file if is was installing from source, but I did not, I installed object via RPM.
So, I configured the generated file using gedit. Two problems with the way mplayer is called in mozpluggerrc. First, there are several mplayer calls for different types of media. The fix I found had to be implemented in ALL the calls. Second, the -ao option for mplayer allows a comma separated list of audio drivers to be specified. Apparently, the list, which was repeated for each mplayer call in the file, reflects the drivers that were present on whatever machine was used to build my mozplugger package. And, mozplugger/mplayer doesn't know better, so between them, the wrong driver gets used. I changed all of the calls to use only the oss driver.
Worked like a charm. Now I can play videos from both disk and streamed from Mozilla and they play equally well either way.