LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   Serious Problem with Mozilla Firefox (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/serious-problem-with-mozilla-firefox-259149/)

Mrrrr. Nice Guy 11-25-2004 09:08 AM

Serious Problem with Mozilla Firefox
 
When running Firefox 1.0 and I type in a web address in the location bar, Firefox abruptly closes in the middle of loading the webpage. It does this everytime I use it. It didn't do this before, but this started happening after I installed the SNES9X RPM from rpm.pbone.net. I have since uninstalled this RPM and I am instead using the Linux binary from the SNES9X website.

I am using SUSE Personal 9.1.

doralsoral 11-25-2004 09:26 AM

did you install the binary for firefox? try reinstalling it. if you used a binary and reinstalling doesnt work see if you can get a hold of the source and compile it yourself.

Redbone981sl 11-25-2004 10:17 AM

You must have copied a java .so instead of linking it. this will happen with any page that contains java until you fix it.

Mrrrr. Nice Guy 11-25-2004 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by doralsoral
did you install the binary for firefox? try reinstalling it. if you used a binary and reinstalling doesnt work see if you can get a hold of the source and compile it yourself.
I was using the RPM to install Firefox originally. I thought that if I uninstalled that and used the binary package instead it might eliminate the problem, but I still get the same result.

Gosh, I hate compiling stuff! Never can get things working right when compiling! :mad:

Mrrrr. Nice Guy 11-25-2004 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Redbone981sl
You must have copied a java .so instead of linking it. this will happen with any page that contains java until you fix it.
No, I've checked and this is not the case.

daihard 11-25-2004 12:21 PM

I have had my Firefox crash on me in the middle of nowhere a few times recently. It seems to happen to both the 1.0 release and development (i.e. TRUNK) versions. If you have gdb (GNU debugger) on your machine, you may be able to look at the core file to see what's causing the crash.

Mrrrr. Nice Guy 11-25-2004 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by daihard
I have had my Firefox crash on me in the middle of nowhere a few times recently. It seems to happen to both the 1.0 release and development (i.e. TRUNK) versions. If you have gdb (GNU debugger) on your machine, you may be able to look at the core file to see what's causing the crash.
No thanks. I'm not a developer.

daihard 11-25-2004 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mrrrr. Nice Guy
No thanks. I'm not a developer.
You don't have to be one in order to utilize those development tools to help figure out what's wrong. ;)

Mrrrr. Nice Guy 11-25-2004 12:31 PM

I think this may have something to do with the java plugin, though, because when I uninstall the java plugin I can access webpages that don't use java. But webpages that do use java, such as www.foxnews.com, I can't access.

However, when the java plugin is installed in the Mozilla Firefox plugins directory I can't access anything. :(

melinda_sayang 11-25-2004 12:32 PM

Ok, what web page that make your firefox crash?

First try to install firefox from the official site not the third party one.
http://download.mozilla.org/?product...nux&lang=en-US

Then try to remove ~/.mozilla/firefox directory ( back up first ). Go to that web page again. Test it again. Oh yeah, try to run firefox from terminal and when it crash, it should tell you what the error is in terminal. Tell me what the result is.....

daihard 11-25-2004 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mrrrr. Nice Guy
I think this may have something to do with the java plugin, though, because when I uninstall the java plugin I can access webpages that don't use java. But webpages that do use java, such as www.foxnews.com, I can't access.

However, when the java plugin is installed in the Mozilla Firefox plugins directory I can't access anything. :(

Which version of Java are you using? 1.4.2 or 5.0 (i.e. 1.5.0)? Are you symlinking the correct version of the plugin file? They have different versions depending upon the version of GCC your system was built with.

What is the output of your "ls -l libjavaplugin_oji.so" inside your Firefox/plugins directory?

Mrrrr. Nice Guy 11-25-2004 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by melinda_sayang
Ok, what web page that make your firefox crash?

First try to install firefox from the official site not the third party one.
http://download.mozilla.org/?product...nux&lang=en-US

Then try to remove ~/.mozilla/firefox directory ( back up first ). Go to that web page again. Test it again. Oh yeah, try to run firefox from terminal and when it crash, it should tell you what the error is in terminal. Tell me what the result is.....

First of all, I already did download Firefox from the official site. :)

When starting Firefox I get this result:

Quote:

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",

(firefox-bin:12610): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/browser-plugins/rpnp.so [/usr/lib/browser-plugins/rpnp.so: undefined symbol: __pure_virtual]
Extension System Warning: Failed to set up default extensions files probably because you do not have write privileges to this location. While you can run Firefox like this, it is recommended that you run it at least once with privileges that allow it to generate these initial files to improve start performance. Running from a disk image on MacOS X is not recommended.*** loading the extensions datasource

When going to www.foxnews.com I get this result:

Quote:

/usr/local/mozilla/firefox/run-mozilla.sh: line 451: 12610 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Mrrrr. Nice Guy 11-25-2004 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by daihard
Which version of Java are you using? 1.4.2 or 5.0 (i.e. 1.5.0)? Are you symlinking the correct version of the plugin file? They have different versions depending upon the version of GCC your system was built with.

What is the output of your "ls -l libjavaplugin_oji.so" inside your Firefox/plugins directory?

The latest: 1.4.2_06.

Quote:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 67 2004-11-25 11:11 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_06/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

melinda_sayang 11-25-2004 02:56 PM

Ok, this gonna be a long windy road.
Where do you download your firefox? Give me a link. It should be a static program that have its library. So the firefox from the official site should use library from its package not from /usr/lib.

Did you download the installer or the program it self????
Try this static program:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...fox-1.0.tar.gz

oh yeah, you said that you have installed firefox in rpm format before. Have you uninstall it properly???? Because what I am afraid is your firefox from the official site load the library from the firefox in rpm format...... That is not very good.

daihard 11-25-2004 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by melinda_sayang
oh yeah, you said that you have installed firefox in rpm format before. Have you uninstall it properly???? Because what I am afraid is your firefox from the official site load the library from the firefox in rpm format...... That is not very good.
Can the official Firefox, which is statically linked, "load" its libraries from somewhere else?

His problem does not seem to pertain to Firefox itself, but rather the way he's using/linking his Java plugin files. He says he can view non-Java sites without problems, AFAICT.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.