LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   Scribus 1.4.6 spell checker? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/scribus-1-4-6-spell-checker-4175597620/)

ardvark71 01-19-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachboy2 (Post 5657454)
I did exactly the same thing!

I didn't notice that in the screenshot but perhaps I skimmed too quickly through your instructions to see that! My apologies if that's the case. :)

Lord willing, I though I might download a copy of MX-16 today and give a live session a whirl. :)

Regards...

ardvark71 01-19-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachboy2 (Post 5657454)
I did exactly the same thing (see attached screenshot)!

Oh, that's right! But at the time, I didn't catch at all what you meant by that. :D

Regards...

Doug Hutcheson 01-19-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardvark71 (Post 5657197)
I have a copy of 1.4.2 installed and see Hunspell listed under mine...

Hi Aardvark.

I have 1.4.6 and see my dictionaries in /usr/share/myspell.

ardvark71 01-19-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Hutcheson (Post 5657640)
Hi Aardvark.

Hello :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Hutcheson (Post 5657640)
I have 1.4.6 and see my dictionaries in /usr/share/myspell.

Please take a look at post #14, that should solve your problem. :)

Regards...

Doug Hutcheson 01-19-2017 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by beachboy2 (Post 5657454)
ardvark71,

I did exactly the same thing (see attached screenshot)!

Thank you both for hanging in with me.

My dictionaries were pointing to /usr/share/myspell.

I deleted /usr/share/myspell and ~/.scribus.

I am on Fedora, so I used dnf to delete Scribus then reinstall it.

Opened Scribus and looked at Hyphenation/Spelling and found no dictionaries at all. Selected en_US from the downloadable list and it went into .scribus/dicts.

Created a new document and added a text frame filled with sample text. Checked my Default styles and ensured they were both using English.

So far, so good.

Now I chose Edit/Edit Text to bring up the Story Editor and hopefully clicked the Edit menu. As you can see from the attached image, there is no Check Spelling option.

Groan!

I can't imagine how I could have started with a cleaner system short of formatting my disk. Where to now?

"8-[

beachboy2 01-20-2017 12:06 AM

Doug,

All I can think of is that it is possibly related to Fedora.

There are no problems with Spell Checker in Linux MInt 18 MATE.

I have these locations:

Code:

/usr/share/hunspell/en_US
and

Code:

/home/myusername/.scribus/dicts/en_GB
If you have a spare computer, install Linux Mint MATE 18.1.


Alternatively install VirtualBox on your existing computer and install LM inside that.

EDIT:

Quote:

Opened Scribus and looked at Hyphenation/Spelling and found no dictionaries at all.
There is definitely something wrong here.

Immediately after installing Scribus 1.4.6 you should have this default location:

Code:

/usr/share/hunspell/en_US

ardvark71 01-20-2017 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Hutcheson (Post 5657652)
Where to now?

Hi...

Also, while using Story Editor, does pressing the "Shift + F7" keys bring anything up? :scratch:

Regards...

Doug Hutcheson 01-20-2017 12:43 AM

Yes, I will try a virtual machine. Other than that, I give up! "8-[

Thanks for all the assistance anyway.

beachboy2 01-20-2017 12:45 AM

Doug,

Hopefully VirtualBox and LM 18 MATE will help solve your problem.

In addition, you can always email Martin Zaske.

ardvark71 01-20-2017 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Hutcheson (Post 5657671)
Yes, I will try a virtual machine. Other than that, I give up! "8-[

Thanks for all the assistance anyway.

Take a look at my post above, you may not have noticed it. ;)

Regards...

Doug Hutcheson 01-21-2017 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardvark71 (Post 5657670)
Also, while using Story Editor, does pressing the "Shift + F7" keys bring anything up? :scratch:

Sadly, no. "8-[

ardvark71 01-21-2017 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Hutcheson (Post 5658085)
Sadly, no. "8-[

Hi...

Hmm, in that case, let us know how it works using a VM and/or what Martin Zaske has to say. :(

Regards...

Doug Hutcheson 01-21-2017 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachboy2 (Post 5657673)
Hopefully VirtualBox and LM 18 MATE will help solve your problem.

In addition, you can always email Martin Zaske.

I don't think I need to trouble Martin just yet. I downloaded a fresh Fedora 25 .iso and installed it in a virtual machine. I then installed Scribus. So far, a pristine installation. I then checked the spelling and style settings. I created a new document with a text frame containing standard text. I opened the story editor and selected the Edit menu. Surprise surprise, there was no Check Spelling option!

It looks as though the version in the Fedora repository has no spell checker installed, for reasons I cannot imagine.

I am now taking this problem to the Fedora forum. Hopefully someone there will be able to explain what is going on.

I am extremely grateful to you both for your advice and suggestions. The Linux community is a good place to be.

Kind regards,
Doug

beachboy2 01-21-2017 06:52 AM

Doug,

I thought that the whole point of installing VirtualBox was for you to then install Linux Mint 18.1 MATE, which has a functioning spell checker, not Fedora 25?

Fedora appears to be the cause of the missing spell checker.

Quote:

The Linux community is a good place to be.
Indeed it is.

ardvark71 01-21-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Hutcheson (Post 5658115)
I don't think I need to trouble Martin just yet. I downloaded a fresh Fedora 25 .iso and installed it in a virtual machine. I then installed Scribus. So far, a pristine installation. I then checked the spelling and style settings. I created a new document with a text frame containing standard text. I opened the story editor and selected the Edit menu. Surprise surprise, there was no Check Spelling option!

It looks as though the version in the Fedora repository has no spell checker installed, for reasons I cannot imagine.

Your issue is a strange one as I would think software packages like Scribus would be uniform across the distributions, although I could be wrong. :scratch:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Hutcheson (Post 5658115)
I am now taking this problem to the Fedora forum. Hopefully someone there will be able to explain what is going on.

Please let us know what you find out. I'd be curious to know what the issue is and what solution, if any, is successful at resolving it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Hutcheson (Post 5658115)
I am extremely grateful to you both for your advice and suggestions.

You're welcome, I hope you are able to get it resolved. :)

Regards...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.