LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
abhishekgit
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, Rhel5,openSUSE
Posts: 165

Rep: Reputation: 12
Running hpl on Rocks 6.1 error : Cannot chdir to home directory?


Hey everyone,
I am trying to run hpl on rocks 6.1 I followed downloading and configuration of linpack using this
http://frankinformation.wordpress.co...rocks-cluster/

And i also referred the official rocks documentation

http://www.rocksclusters.org/rocks-d...g-linpack.html

xhpl is correctly made using make. I used sample HPL.dat for two processors and running this command

Code:
/opt/openmpi/bin/mpirun -np 2 -machinefile machines /export/home/linpacker/hpl/bin/Linux_PII_FBLAS/xhpl
This is the error

Code:
could not chdir to home directory : /export/home/linpacker : No such file or directory

Mpirun was unable to launch specific application as it failed to change the directory

ls -ld for /export/home/linpacker gives me
-drwx------

I am unable to figure out. Kindly help. Sorry in advance if any information is missing
 
Old 08-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,631

Rep: Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekgit View Post
Hey everyone,
I am trying to run hpl on rocks 6.1 I followed downloading and configuration of linpack using this
http://frankinformation.wordpress.co...rocks-cluster/

And i also referred the official rocks documentation

http://www.rocksclusters.org/rocks-d...g-linpack.html

xhpl is correctly made using make. I used sample HPL.dat for two processors and running this command
Code:
/opt/openmpi/bin/mpirun -np 2 -machinefile machines /export/home/linpacker/hpl/bin/Linux_PII_FBLAS/xhpl
This is the error
Code:
could not chdir to home directory : /export/home/linpacker : No such file or directory
Mpirun was unable to launch specific application as it failed to change the directory
ls -ld for /export/home/linpacker gives me
-drwx------

I am unable to figure out. Kindly help. Sorry in advance if any information is missing
You posted that the directory in question is only readable to the owner, but don't post who the owner is. Unless you're logged in as the owner of that directory or root, you won't be able to do ANYTHING with it. Why are the permissions like that? Who owns the directory? Have you tried the very obvious, and give other users/groups permissions (say, "chmod 755"???)
 
Old 08-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
abhishekgit
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, Rhel5,openSUSE
Posts: 165

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 12
@TBOne,
Oh sorry. I am running as "linpacker" user. And the error says "No such file or directory" instead of "permission denied" or something
 
Old 08-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,631

Rep: Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekgit View Post
@TBOne,
Oh sorry. I am running as "linpacker" user. And the error says "No such file or directory" instead of "permission denied" or something
Ok...so again, a very obvious thing to do would be to check to see if that file/directory exists. DOES IT? If not, CREATE IT.
 
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
abhishekgit
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, Rhel5,openSUSE
Posts: 165

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 12
@TB0ne,
Yes.. Home directory didn't exist on the compute nodes, I SShed onto the compute nodes and created the directories. That error is replaced with another error now. Will work on it and come back later. thanks!
 
Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,631

Rep: Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekgit View Post
@TB0ne,
Yes.. Home directory didn't exist on the compute nodes, I SShed onto the compute nodes and created the directories. That error is replaced with another error now. Will work on it and come back later. thanks!
Always a good idea to read and UNDERSTAND the error you get, before posting a question.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] NIS Client error: Could not chdir to home directory /home/chacha: No such file or dir gauravgoel1989 Linux - Server 8 09-20-2013 04:42 PM
Could not chdir to home directory vignesh_murali2003 Linux - Newbie 6 06-09-2013 09:04 PM
Could not chdir to home directory; permission denied dmz1213 Linux - Newbie 6 09-03-2012 02:02 PM
ssh could not chdir to home directory pccdrussell Linux - General 27 08-24-2012 10:30 AM
[SOLVED] 'Could not chdir to home directory /home/[user]: Permission denied' arashi256 Linux - Newbie 25 11-11-2011 09:29 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration