Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.


  Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #1
LQ Newbie
Registered: May 2015
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Problems At After Linux Mint OpenSSL Update.

I looked at a lot of forums prior to posting here, even tried "Click Here to Find similar Threads" to no avail; I asked first at the Linux Mint forums the other day but so far a number of reads, zero replies.

I'm repeating my question here only in hopes someone may be able to point me in the right direction:

"Two days ago via Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64 bit update manger, a single new update for OpenSSL was offered (changing it from 1.0.1f-ubuntu2.11 to 1.0.1f-ubuntu2.12); I installed it, and from that point on FF, Chromium, Opera all resulted such that: at MS "OneDrive" site (involving, attempting to sign into account results in site saying no such account exists, even though up to installing the OpenSSL update it did, even earlier that day. Going into Windows 7, the same browsers can still access the same MS Outlook email sign-in needed with the same account/psswd data.

I'm wondering if there's a way to roll back to the earlier OpenSSL version, or is it otherwise possible to further update/correct this issue? BTW, Chromium identifies that there's a "bogus certificate" and immutably marks it as "untrusted". Thank you for any ideas you may have, cheers!"

Thank everyone for any advice you may render.

NEW INFORMATION: This may be an MS issue; I just tried the same (literally) Mint on a USB made three weeks ago and not yet updated since...yet the same results all browsers at anything needing or incorporating "" at MS sites for login. Maybe like that little white Windows flag that showed up in Windows 7 about the same time nothing on Mint works for sign-ins at MS sites, now only allowed access if Windows?

2ND UPDATE: After plinking around some more, it's not IIS/.NET/ or account blacklist; uses VeriSign EV, so likely one or more certificates is/are expired or revoked as of June 01, 2015; when that happens with any extended validation chain MS Smartcreen is better than OpenSSL at sorting it out. That sort of answers the question for me, as not even changing the x509 flag to trust the first certificate in chain changed anything in Mint re this issue.

FINAL DETAILS: Can't go further than this, and it's truly weird; as not even "nnsquad"-type cmd/terminal tests in Windows/Mint show any sign of ISP tampering with dns proxy or IP's "leading to better results"...i.e., connection is as expected...and I could get into Outlook email on Windows 7 same box/connection, I assumed Mint OpenSSL had trouble with EV chain cert(s).

Apparently not. Last night I went to Windows 7, and now even it said no such account existed; further, it let me create a "new" account with exact same data and psswd but with nothing at all in it or as history; incredibly, then signing out and going back to Mint, I can instantly sign in to this "new" account, no Linux or OpenSSL problems or otherwise.

Here's the weird: Going again into Windows, I used a portable browser with now-unsupported "Maskme" extension, the list of which has same userID/psswd as always for Outlook; further, it has an extension for user-agent/canvas change; going to Outlook sign-in and using Maskme to populate fields, I indeed logged in to OLD Outlook with same name, and all the earlier stuff in it like always; then logging in at Bing for my daily search "rewards" program, Maskme/other extension worked, but as I searched it both added one point every second search (up to daily 15) while icon next to counter said "Sign In"(account appeared inactive and active at the same time...very weird!). Then I signed in w/o extensions using Outlook at One Drive, and found I simply had 15GB free with nothing in it; signing in again via Maskme/other ext combo, remember...same user/psswd, I had 112GB remaining and all expected uploaded data from before at my One Drive then showing.

Weird as it is, at least it shows Outlook/ CAN still be used on Linux...but no matter OS, it appears random inability to do so has something to do with MS tinkering with IMAP at its sites, as duplicates are being generated. This is definitely NOT a Mint, OpenSSL, network, Broadcom WIFI, inter alia issue, so this is the last I'll be posting on this issue.

Last edited by rollinhand; 06-06-2015 at 12:15 AM. Reason: SOLVED


mint, openssl+cert error

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] creating a live usb from a live Linux Mint disk julianvb Linux - Software 4 04-07-2015 12:03 AM
[SOLVED] Problems with Update Manager in Mint 13 Maya/Mate 64 loshakova Linux - Newbie 4 09-09-2014 03:11 PM
[SOLVED] Ubuntu Live Usb Problems after using Update Manager acurac32a Linux - Newbie 3 12-20-2009 02:27 AM
Live update problems in Linpus Linux Rochester Linux - Newbie 4 12-08-2008 01:32 AM > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.

Main Menu
Write for LQ is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration