LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
jcllings
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 37

Rep: Reputation: 15
postscript and pdf - I need access to a locked-down pdf


First off, let me be clear that what I intend is legal. I'm trying to make a set of flash cards, for my own personal use only, out of some *.pdf documents. This falls within the bounds of "Fair Use". If it did not, then any student who wanted to use flash cards for studying would belong behind bars which simply isn't the case. What we have here is exactly the reason why we opposed DRM so vehemently. IP owners ignorantly tromping on an IP licenser's bought and paid for rights.

So. What I have is a set of locked down *.pdf documents which I paid for. I've gotten partial access by converting them to postscript and then back to pdf. This allows one to print them, but that is it. I think that perhaps it also makes the entire document into a graphic, text included. What I need though is to get them into a format where I can use copy 'n paste on characters so that I can build the flash cards.

Ideas?


Jim C.
 
Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 21,136

Rep: Reputation: 5332Reputation: 5332Reputation: 5332Reputation: 5332Reputation: 5332Reputation: 5332Reputation: 5332Reputation: 5332Reputation: 5332Reputation: 5332Reputation: 5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcllings View Post
First off, let me be clear that what I intend is legal. I'm trying to make a set of flash cards, for my own personal use only, out of some *.pdf documents. This falls within the bounds of "Fair Use". If it did not, then any student who wanted to use flash cards for studying would belong behind bars which simply isn't the case. What we have here is exactly the reason why we opposed DRM so vehemently. IP owners ignorantly tromping on an IP licenser's bought and paid for rights.
Not to sound snotty, but really, all we have is your WORD for it, that what you intend is legal. We don't know you, or what the exact situation is. Part of the Linux questions rules is not posting/requesting hacking or password breaking info/questions.

Quote:
So. What I have is a set of locked down *.pdf documents which I paid for. I've gotten partial access by converting them to postscript and then back to pdf. This allows one to print them, but that is it. I think that perhaps it also makes the entire document into a graphic, text included. What I need though is to get them into a format where I can use copy 'n paste on characters so that I can build the flash cards.

Ideas?

Again, not to sound snotty, but you say you bought and paid for a set of PDF documents, that have been protected by their owner, but feel they're tromping on your rights, by protecting them? Granted, I understand what you're saying about fair use, but it's THEIR content, that they created and protected. It may stink, but then again, they didn't force you to buy it.

Best idea I can come up with, is to either use a program (like the Gimp), to capture what characters you want off the screen, and put them into another file, adding whatever text/etc., you want to make a flash card. Or you can create your own content, and not worry about them and their rights at all.
 
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
jcllings
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 37

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Not to sound snotty, but really, all we have is your WORD for it, that what you intend is legal. We don't know you, or what the exact situation is. Part of the Linux questions rules is not posting/requesting hacking or password breaking info/questions.

Again, not to sound snotty, but you say you bought and paid for a set of PDF documents, that have been protected by their owner, but feel they're tromping on your rights, by protecting them? Granted, I understand what you're saying about fair use, but it's THEIR content, that they created and protected. It may stink, but then again, they didn't force you to buy it.

Best idea I can come up with, is to either use a program (like the Gimp), to capture what characters you want off the screen, and put them into another file, adding whatever text/etc., you want to make a flash card. Or you can create your own content, and not worry about them and their rights at all.
Crud. That actually seems like a pretty sensible rule rather than snottiness. :-| Perhaps what I need is a study guide with a less draconian security policy on their Ebook. I'll have to check and see if there is such an animal, but I doubt it. The previous edition allowed copy'n paste. I'll write a note to the author, I guess.
 
Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
pixellany
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Distribution: Arch/XFCE
Posts: 17,802

Rep: Reputation: 739Reputation: 739Reputation: 739Reputation: 739Reputation: 739Reputation: 739Reputation: 739
And closed per Tbone's comments. Glad to hear that OP has a plan
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert text to Postscript/PDF stuaz Linux - Software 2 05-30-2009 02:44 PM
LXer: Protect Your PostScript Files from Being Converted to PDF LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-14-2009 07:12 PM
Removing Background From PDF or Postscript Files btbx Linux - Software 1 04-11-2008 12:41 PM
acroread convert to postscript to always shrinks pdf? chaos215bar2 Linux - Software 2 06-01-2005 10:04 PM
Best PDF and PostScript viewers R00ts Linux - Software 13 09-03-2004 06:14 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration