LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
jokar.mohsen
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Tehran
Posts: 441

Rep: Reputation: 22
Unhappy Pidgin can't run after Debian update :(


Hello.
How are you?
I upgrade my Debian-X86_64 6 to 7.2 and when i want to run pidgin, it show me :

"pidgin: error while loading shared libraries: libgstfarsight-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

How can I solve this problem?

Cheers.
 
Old 11-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,321

Rep: Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokar.mohsen View Post
Hello.
How are you?
I upgrade my Debian-X86_64 6 to 7.2 and when i want to run pidgin, it show me :

"pidgin: error while loading shared libraries: libgstfarsight-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
How can I solve this problem?
Your error clearly indicates that you're missing that library. Since it's missing and you want to use it, you would INSTALL it, since it may not have been installed after your upgrade. You might also need to upgrade that program, since (if you didn't do a fresh install), it may not have been upgraded, especially if you installed it (or that library), from source.
 
Old 11-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
jokar.mohsen
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Tehran
Posts: 441

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Your error clearly indicates that you're missing that library. Since it's missing and you want to use it, you would INSTALL it, since it may not have been installed after your upgrade. You might also need to upgrade that program, since (if you didn't do a fresh install), it may not have been upgraded, especially if you installed it (or that library), from source.
I can't find this library in my debian repository . I use synaptic and it select the up to date packages for me and I installed Pidgin 2.10.X and I know it is the current version of Pidgin.
 
Old 11-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,321

Rep: Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokar.mohsen View Post
I can't find this library in my debian repository . I use synaptic and it select the up to date packages for me and I installed Pidgin 2.10.X and I know it is the current version of Pidgin.
Ok, again.....did you INITIALLY install pidgin via source or package?? Did you INITIALLY install that library via source or package? And based on your other thread, did you install 7, or 7.2 as suggested?? Did you do a fresh install or an upgrade?

How did you install Pidgin 2.10.x? There is an official Debian package:
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/pidgin

..which references the gstreamer packages. Also, a very small bit of research also references the packages farstream and farsight2...did you install those?
 
Old 11-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
jokar.mohsen
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Tehran
Posts: 441

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 22
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Ok, again.....did you INITIALLY install pidgin via source or package?? Did you INITIALLY install that library via source or package? And based on your other thread, did you install 7, or 7.2 as suggested?? Did you do a fresh install or an upgrade?

How did you install Pidgin 2.10.x? There is an official Debian package:
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/pidgin

..which references the gstreamer packages. Also, a very small bit of research also references the packages farstream and farsight2...did you install those?
Yes, I installed "farsight2" package. I installed Pidgin via synaptic and It is recompiled package. My debian is 7.2 and as I said I upgraded my debian 6 to 7.2
 
Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
jokar.mohsen
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Location: Tehran
Posts: 441

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 22
Problem not solved via upgraded Distro and auto-remove pidgin
 
Old 11-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,321

Rep: Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026Reputation: 6026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokar.mohsen View Post
Yes, I installed "farsight2" package. I installed Pidgin via synaptic and It is recompiled package. My debian is 7.2 and as I said I upgraded my debian 6 to 7.2
Sorry, it's not nice to play guessing games...if you don't want to acknowledge what folks are suggesting and keep giving half-answers, there's not alot folks can help you with.

I mentioned other packages in my previous thread...you don't say anything about them. I asked if it was from source or package...and you say it's from synaptic, but 'recompiled' (???) Which is it?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update pidgin to latest version manojmore Linux - Software 1 05-30-2013 09:57 PM
[SOLVED] After pidgin security update: irc not available. boinkboink Slackware 2 02-15-2013 11:07 PM
[SOLVED] Pidgin 2.7.6 update for 13.1 ? NoStressHQ Slackware 12 12-01-2010 04:36 AM
How can a update Tork and Pidgin in incognito To the last version ? ipod1505 Incognito 0 06-17-2010 10:19 AM
Pidgin Security Update Killed KDE MQMan Slackware 6 08-25-2009 04:23 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration