LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
tshontikidis
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Distribution: Gentoo & Debian
Posts: 76

Rep: Reputation: 15
OS X Panel fluxbox


So i really like the smoothness and grace the OSX panel has and i want to put that on my box. Now i have been searching around the fourms and have found some things but not any that fully answer my question.

What apps are out there that pull off the OSX panel well or are actually made to resemble it.
I am using Debian testing (sarge) and using fluxbox as a WM. I would like not to go to KDE or Gnome because its an old amd1ghz with 172 mbram.

I have found such programs as fbpanel,(in the process of tinkering with and engage (which i am unable to get

Please help.
thank you
 
Old 05-25-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
megadeth
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Fedora Core 4 x64
Posts: 136

Rep: Reputation: 15
Alot of those apps are made to run w/ KDE. I run one of those. You can get Kxdocker, ksmoothdock, and there is one other one starting with k. If you are worried about how slow it will run, then I would just recommend changing the KDE WM to openbox and then installing kxdocker, because I doubt it'll run w/o kde.
 
Old 05-25-2005, 10:40 PM   #3
tshontikidis
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Distribution: Gentoo & Debian
Posts: 76

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I do not use KDE at all, i use the x system and then fluxbox as a WM. I do not have a full blown desktop setup.
 
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
funkydan2
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Distribution: VectorLinux; Ubuntu
Posts: 135

Rep: Reputation: 15
http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/
or
http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/
 
Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
SilversleevesX
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 181
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 15
As you can probably tell from my username, I'm a long time OS X user. Presently I'm a refugee in Windows XP SP 3 and KDE via Ubuntu/Wubi on the same dual-core Lenovo box.

The panel in all versions of OS X is called the "dock" just FYI. If you think I'm splitting hairs: consider the impression made by myself when I called the KDE Kicker panel a "dock" on a forum with not only longtime users but also contributors to K.

As for OS X/GOS styled dock clones for the x86 Linuxes, you can Google for wbar, which looks so much like the OS X and GOS dock that I just spent the last two and a half hours trying to get it to run in Cygwin/X. No luck, though -- in the end, missing (though installed) imlib2 files and other issues won over my persistence.

Hope this helps.

BZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshontikidis View Post
So i really like the smoothness and grace the OSX panel has and i want to put that on my box. Now i have been searching around the fourms and have found some things but not any that fully answer my question.

What apps are out there that pull off the OSX panel well or are actually made to resemble it.
I am using Debian testing (sarge) and using fluxbox as a WM. I would like not to go to KDE or Gnome because its an old amd1ghz with 172 mbram.

I have found such programs as fbpanel,(in the process of tinkering with and engage (which i am unable to get

Please help.
thank you
 
Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
botnet
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 158

Rep: Reputation: 40
the menubar (despite what silversleevesX says) is the universal panel typically found on the top of the screen in os x

the dock is the application launcher typically found on the bottom

there are linux "versions" of both

menubar: http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/
dock: http://code.google.com/p/avant-window-navigator/

the latter has various os x themes available for download, as well as icon packs
 
Old 05-08-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
SilversleevesX
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 181
Blog Entries: 9

Rep: Reputation: 15
I tried AWM when I was trying the Gnome flavor of Ubuntu on for size. (Tried the Universal Menu too, for about a day or so.) I don't know if the total updated release of U has meant any improvement, but the impression it left me with was "This is what the OS X Dock would be like were it developed by Nordic fur merchants who don't know enough English to haggle with you." I found it inflexible, unfriendly and more of a pain to bring new items into than any other quick-launching solution I'd come across on any OS, and this includes Control Strip in legacy Mac OS.

I don't endorse it, to put it bluntly and briefly.

BZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by botnet View Post
the menubar (despite what silversleevesX says) is the universal panel typically found on the top of the screen in os x

the dock is the application launcher typically found on the bottom

there are linux "versions" of both

menubar: http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/
dock: http://code.google.com/p/avant-window-navigator/

the latter has various os x themes available for download, as well as icon packs
 
Old 05-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
inspiron_Droid
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Distribution: Debian (Wheeze)
Posts: 391

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshontikidis View Post
I am using Debian testing (sarge) and using fluxbox as a WM. I would like not to go to KDE or Gnome because its an old amd1ghz with 172 mbram.

I have found such programs as fbpanel,(in the process of tinkering with and engage (which i am unable to get

Please help.
thank you
Have you considered upgrading your memory to something like two
gigabytes,that would greatly increase system performance.
 
Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,803
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
Um, you folks do realize this thread started four years ago, right?
 
Old 05-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
jay73
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing
Posts: 5,019

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
Quote:
I found it inflexible, unfriendly and more of a pain to bring new items into than any other quick-launching solution I'd come across on any OS, and this includes Control Strip in legacy Mac OS.
A pain? You simply drag and drop items from the menu...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fluxbox PANEL transparencies DraaX Linux - Software 4 11-28-2004 02:38 PM
Making panel look like Mac OS X panel- Input appreciated! Gormless Linux - Newbie 16 10-24-2004 06:59 AM
Fluxbox: Enabling KDE using package install of fluxbox underline Linux - Software 0 12-27-2003 10:11 AM
What is the Cute panel on fluxbox ? Kocil Linux - Software 3 08-23-2003 08:49 AM
gnome-panel crashes. Which file is responsible for the position of the panel? Satriani Linux - General 1 06-20-2003 06:51 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration