LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
Ghost-Order
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2020
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 46

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Neomutt - Issue pasting password from password manager


I just installed neomutt and configured the email, imap server and the port in the neomuttrc file. When I run the app it ask me for my password, I paste it from my password manager (keepassxc) but the login always fail. Maybe the default hiding password feature which all the terminals have (in this case mine is konsole) is the issue? If it is so I supposed there are ways to disable this feature, but I would prefer to not do that. Are there other ways to paste passwords into the terminal?
 
Old 01-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
scasey
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Distribution: CentOS 7.8.2003
Posts: 5,346

Rep: Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982
There are several ways to paste into a terminal, so yes there are “other ways”...but you didn’t post which way you’re using that fails, so it makes it difficult to give you any advice.

So, please explain how you’re pasting...

And the masking of the password in the terminal cannot be disabled.
 
Old 01-12-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
Ghost-Order
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2020
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
There are several ways to paste into a terminal, so yes there are “other ways”...but you didn’t post which way you’re using that fails, so it makes it difficult to give you any advice.

So, please explain how you’re pasting...

And the masking of the password in the terminal cannot be disabled.
I paste with control+shift+V
 
Old 01-13-2021, 12:58 AM   #4
scasey
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Distribution: CentOS 7.8.2003
Posts: 5,346

Rep: Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost-Order View Post
I paste with control+shift+V
Test it...paste the password into a text editor, or at the command prompt in the clear to see what’s being pasted.

Try using a middle mouse click to paste instead.
 
Old 01-13-2021, 01:51 AM   #5
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 16,538
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost-Order View Post
Maybe the default hiding password feature which all the terminals have (in this case mine is konsole) is the issue?
No.

I suspect some conflict between primary selection - clipboard - control keys used for pasting.
Have you looked if keepassxc's Autotype does the right thing?

Alos, what version of keepassxc.
 
Old 01-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #6
Ghost-Order
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2020
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
Test it...paste the password into a text editor, or at the command prompt in the clear to see what’s being pasted.

Try using a middle mouse click to paste instead.
I already test that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
No.

I suspect some conflict between primary selection - clipboard - control keys used for pasting.
Have you looked if keepassxc's Autotype does the right thing?

Alos, what version of keepassxc.
This is the first time I used that feature and indeed it seems it doesn't write the passwords correctly, usernames are ok. My keepassxc version is 2.6.2

Edit: Nvm I just tried one more time and the autotype worked, it seems it's kind of random.

Last edited by Ghost-Order; 01-13-2021 at 10:08 AM.
 
Old 01-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #7
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 16,538
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879Reputation: 4879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost-Order View Post
Edit: Nvm I just tried one more time and the autotype worked, it seems it's kind of random.
No, it's not. Older versions had some problems with Firefox, but in a terminal it should work 100%.
I think you need to figure out autotype.
Pasted manually it always works, yes? So it's not the password containing funny characters?
 
Old 01-14-2021, 12:32 AM   #8
Ghost-Order
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2020
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
No, it's not. Older versions had some problems with Firefox, but in a terminal it should work 100%.
I think you need to figure out autotype.
Pasted manually it always works, yes? So it's not the password containing funny characters?
Well it seems autotype works just fine in the terminal so the issue should be in my neomutt config file, thank you for the help, I'll try to figure out how to configure neomutt properly.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
neomutt anon033 Linux - Software 3 07-08-2019 12:32 AM
[SOLVED] Neomutt - "var/mail/mic is not a mailbox" micaldas1 Linux - Software 3 02-04-2019 11:47 AM
Neomutt - "sasl authentication failed" micaldas1 Linux - Software 0 02-02-2019 09:45 PM
Pasting webpage into spreadsheet flaw Linux - Newbie 3 09-22-2002 08:25 PM
GAIM - Pasting Sirrvs Linux - Software 2 09-08-2002 07:10 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration