LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
achintyahacker
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2017
Location: patna,bihar,india
Distribution: kali,windows 10
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question metasploit error;genfile not detected!!???...plz help


hi as many of you can see i am a newcommer on LQ and am trying to get some help.

the problem i have have is that i have installed metasploit(metasploit-framework-4.16.16+20171109102338.git.1.c5fd027~1rapid7-1.el6.x86_64) from the official metasploit repository using the automated linux installer and beore the recent update it used to work just fine , i was able to use its full functionality . but now i just get an error . is it because in the recent update there was one for metasploit too . i really don't know , i may be a learning ethical hacker but i am still new to linux .

whenever i try to run commands like :

1.msfconsole
2.msfvenom
3.msfd
4.msfrpcd
5.msfpayload
6.msfencode

it basically just gives me the same error (which can be seen below) :

You are trying to install in deployment mode after changing
your Gemfile. Run `bundle install` elsewhere and add the
updated ../../opt/metasploit/apps/pro/Gemfile.lock to version control.

If this is a development machine, remove the /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/Gemfile freeze
by running `bundle install --no-deployment`.

The list of sources changed

You have deleted from the Gemfile:
* source: source at `engine`
* source: source at `ui`
* metasploit-pro-engine
* metasploit-pro-ui


.................................................................................................... .....

i don,t kn ow how to deal with this problem , a post with detailed help by anyone interested to help will be highly appreciated .
 
Old 11-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,235

Rep: Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973
Quote:
Originally Posted by achintyahacker View Post
hi as many of you can see i am a newcommer on LQ and am trying to get some help.

the problem i have have is that i have installed metasploit(metasploit-framework-4.16.16+20171109102338.git.1.c5fd027~1rapid7-1.el6.x86_64) from the official metasploit repository using the automated linux installer and beore the recent update it used to work just fine , i was able to use its full functionality . but now i just get an error . is it because in the recent update there was one for metasploit too . i really don't know , i may be a learning ethical hacker but i am still new to linux . whenever i try to run commands like :

1.msfconsole
2.msfvenom
3.msfd
4.msfrpcd
5.msfpayload
6.msfencode

it basically just gives me the same error (which can be seen below) :

You are trying to install in deployment mode after changing
your Gemfile. Run `bundle install` elsewhere and add the
updated ../../opt/metasploit/apps/pro/Gemfile.lock to version control.

If this is a development machine, remove the /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/Gemfile freeze
by running `bundle install --no-deployment`.

The list of sources changed

You have deleted from the Gemfile:
* source: source at `engine`
* source: source at `ui`
* metasploit-pro-engine
* metasploit-pro-ui
.................................................................................................... .....
i don,t kn ow how to deal with this problem , a post with detailed help by anyone interested to help will be highly appreciated .
Ok, so did you try doing what the message SAID???? Did you run "bundle install"?? And you really need to read the LQ Rules and "Question Guidelines". Text-speak isn't a good thing to use here, and unless you provide details when asking questions, there's no way we can help. You don't tell us what version/distro of Linux, what has changed (since this WAS working), anything you've done/tried so far, etc.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
achintyahacker
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2017
Location: patna,bihar,india
Distribution: kali,windows 10
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Ok, so did you try doing what the message SAID???? Did you run "bundle install"?? And you really need to read the LQ Rules and "Question Guidelines". Text-speak isn't a good thing to use here, and unless you provide details when asking questions, there's no way we can help. You don't tell us what version/distro of Linux, what has changed (since this WAS working), anything you've done/tried so far, etc.
i have been using the same distro with a simple kernal version change from the point it was working to not-so-working .

was working : 4.13.11-200.fc26.x86_64 (on running uname -r)

is not working: 4.13.12-200.fc26.x86_64

when i am running the "bundle install" it simply says the following:

"Could not locate Gemfile"

i am not a expert in linux stuff and am new in LQ and will from next time definetly follow the rules .
 
Old 11-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
!!!
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2017
Posts: 666

Rep: Reputation: 289Reputation: 289Reputation: 289
*fully* understand Gemfile, before metasploit!!!

Try: pwd
Did you run it "elsewhere"? (Use Google if don't know what something means.)

Also, have you spent=devoted at least a couple hours, to web-researching all the message output?
I find lots (but I'm spending my days on 32 bit efi, sorry, so I don't have any good help here).

Best wishes; let 'us' know!!!

p.s. Here's one of my searches: "Could not locate Gemfile" metasploit|fedora
http://google.com/search?q=%22Could+...ploit%7Cfedora
https://moz.com/learn/seo/search-operators

p.p.s. (added since you haven't read my post yet, per username->ViewPublicProfile):
I might suggest (tho semi-OffTopic), since CEH will need to write high-quality reports,
that you painstakingly Edit #1 (for only gramatical errors; do not change content, as that would be considered 'cover-up'). I'm just trying to be helpful to your 'soft skills'.

Last edited by !!!; 11-19-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Corrected my SHOUTing rule-violation.
 
Old 11-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 22,235

Rep: Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973Reputation: 5973
Quote:
Originally Posted by achintyahacker View Post
i have been using the same distro with a simple kernal version change from the point it was working to not-so-working .

was working : 4.13.11-200.fc26.x86_64 (on running uname -r)
is not working: 4.13.12-200.fc26.x86_64
when i am running the "bundle install" it simply says the following: "Could not locate Gemfile"
Still not telling us version/distro, but we can try to ASSUME you're using Fedora 26, right? And are you saying there has been a kernel update? And did you read/follow the Fedora instructions??? http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Metasploit
Quote:
i am not a expert in linux stuff and am new in LQ and will from next time definetly follow the rules .
Reading the instructions should be the first thing you do with ANYTHING, not just Linux.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
metasploit error lalmi Linux - Security 2 02-14-2015 10:43 AM
Question on Metasploit Error dirtydog7655 Linux - Security 5 03-09-2011 09:00 PM
metasploit frameword 3.2 error zion_rulz Linux - Distributions 0 05-29-2009 08:33 AM
network card not detected....plz help bh.ravi Linux - Networking 4 02-15-2007 11:37 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration