LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,992

Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
MakeMKV pop-up window blocking use


I'm using Xubuntu 16.04LTS.

I attached the message (061) I'm getting. Do I need to go through the process here http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224 again? I ask because it looks like the same thing I did before (and the post hasn't been edited).

I'm figuring (since it's been over 30 days since I first started using MakeMKV) it's about the 30 day free trial. But supposedly that is only if you want to burn Blurays which I don't. (attachment 062)

What do I need to do to get MakeMKV working again?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_061.png
Views:	79
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	22760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_062.png
Views:	52
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	22761  
 
Old 08-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
computersavvy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,890

Rep: Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I'm using Xubuntu 16.04LTS.

I attached the message (061) I'm getting. Do I need to go through the process here http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224 again? I ask because it looks like the same thing I did before (and the post hasn't been edited).

I'm figuring (since it's been over 30 days since I first started using MakeMKV) it's about the 30 day free trial. But supposedly that is only if you want to burn Blurays which I don't. (attachment 062)

What do I need to do to get MakeMKV working again?

Thanks.
I have been using makeMKV for over a year. This message will pop up under one of two conditions.
1. It has been 30 days or more since you entered the default/shareware registration key
or
2. A newer version of makeMKV has been released.

Despite the implied limitation of the 30 day restriction to bluray, makeMKV requires reactivation at least every 30 days for continued use.
You can get your current install to restart by entering the current beta test registration key from http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053.
If the software has been updated then you will need to install the newer version then enter the registration key.

A script I used when I repeatedly had to re-enter the key and/or update the software follows.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

## based on http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9451

#sudo apt-get -y install build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libavcodec-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev

version=$(curl "http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224" -s | awk 'FNR == 160 {print $4}')

# check if makemkvcon even exists
command -v makemkvcon > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
	# use a invalid drive to just print the version info
	old_version=`makemkvcon -r info /dev/null 2> /dev/null | grep -oPm1 "([0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+)" | awk 'NR>1{print $1}'`

	if [ "$old_version" = "$version" ]; then
		echo "Version already latest"
		exit 0;
	fi
fi

wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv-oss-$version.tar.gz
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv-bin-$version.tar.gz

rm -rf makemkv-oss-$version
rm -rf makemkv-bin-$version
tar -xzvf makemkv-oss-$version.tar.gz
tar -xzvf makemkv-bin-$version.tar.gz

cd makemkv-oss-$version
./configure -prefix=/usr
make
#sudo make install
cd ../

cd makemkv-bin-$version
echo "" > src/ask_eula.sh
chmod 777 src/ask_eula.sh
make
#sudo make install

# rm -rf makemkv-oss-$version
# rm -rf makemkv-bin-$version
# rm makemkv-oss-$version.tar.gz
# rm makemkv-bin-$version.tar.gz

MAKEMKV_KEY=`curl "http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053" -s | awk 'FNR == 243 {print $57}' | cut -c 21-88`

## check if xclip exists
#command -v xclip > /dev/null 2>&1
#if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
#	echo $KEY | xclip -selection clipboard
#	makemkv
#else
	echo "Make MKV Key is: $MAKEMKV_KEY"
#	echo "Xclip not installed"
#fi
This code works for me on a Fedora system to download and compile the latest version. Note that it must be run from the directory where you want to put what is downloaded. You also have to do the "make install" step manually (although you can just uncomment those lines in this script to do so automatically).
The last line printed on the screen when this script ends is the current beta registration key to activate the newly downloaded software. The script will tell you if your current version is up to date when executed. You can use the last two executed lines to display the latest key when you need to reenter the registration with the 30 day pop up.


After over a year of use, when I decided I was going to continue using makeMKV for long term I went ahead and paid for the registration. Entering a valid paid registration key will stop the pop ups. No more notifications for either the 30 days or software updates.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,992

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by computersavvy View Post
I have been using makeMKV for over a year. This message will pop up under one of two conditions.
1. It has been 30 days or more since you entered the default/shareware registration key
or
2. A newer version of makeMKV has been released.

Despite the implied limitation of the 30 day restriction to bluray, makeMKV requires reactivation at least every 30 days for continued use.
You can get your current install to restart by entering the current beta test registration key from http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053.
If the software has been updated then you will need to install the newer version then enter the registration key.

A script I used when I repeatedly had to re-enter the key and/or update the software follows.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

## based on http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9451

#sudo apt-get -y install build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libavcodec-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev

version=$(curl "http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224" -s | awk 'FNR == 160 {print $4}')

# check if makemkvcon even exists
command -v makemkvcon > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
	# use a invalid drive to just print the version info
	old_version=`makemkvcon -r info /dev/null 2> /dev/null | grep -oPm1 "([0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+)" | awk 'NR>1{print $1}'`

	if [ "$old_version" = "$version" ]; then
		echo "Version already latest"
		exit 0;
	fi
fi

wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv-oss-$version.tar.gz
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv-bin-$version.tar.gz

rm -rf makemkv-oss-$version
rm -rf makemkv-bin-$version
tar -xzvf makemkv-oss-$version.tar.gz
tar -xzvf makemkv-bin-$version.tar.gz

cd makemkv-oss-$version
./configure -prefix=/usr
make
#sudo make install
cd ../

cd makemkv-bin-$version
echo "" > src/ask_eula.sh
chmod 777 src/ask_eula.sh
make
#sudo make install

# rm -rf makemkv-oss-$version
# rm -rf makemkv-bin-$version
# rm makemkv-oss-$version.tar.gz
# rm makemkv-bin-$version.tar.gz

MAKEMKV_KEY=`curl "http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053" -s | awk 'FNR == 243 {print $57}' | cut -c 21-88`

## check if xclip exists
#command -v xclip > /dev/null 2>&1
#if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
#	echo $KEY | xclip -selection clipboard
#	makemkv
#else
	echo "Make MKV Key is: $MAKEMKV_KEY"
#	echo "Xclip not installed"
#fi
This code works for me on a Fedora system to download and compile the latest version. Note that it must be run from the directory where you want to put what is downloaded. You also have to do the "make install" step manually (although you can just uncomment those lines in this script to do so automatically).
The last line printed on the screen when this script ends is the current beta registration key to activate the newly downloaded software. The script will tell you if your current version is up to date when executed. You can use the last two executed lines to display the latest key when you need to reenter the registration with the 30 day pop up.


After over a year of use, when I decided I was going to continue using makeMKV for long term I went ahead and paid for the registration. Entering a valid paid registration key will stop the pop ups. No more notifications for either the 30 days or software updates.
Great post, computersavvy! Thanks for all the great info. I went to the link you gave and got the key, plugged it in and it's working again. It seemed to me that at the end of September all I would have to do is go back to that page and get a new key. I hardly every use it so that would suit me fine. I may have to update the software but I'll deal with that when the time comes. Thanks so much!
 
Old 08-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
ardvark71
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, Windows Vista
Posts: 6,277
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
It seemed to me that at the end of September all I would have to do is go back to that page and get a new key. I hardly every use it so that would suit me fine.
Hi Gregg...

No, the idea is to pay for it and help support those who are involved with making the program.

Regards...
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
computersavvy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,890

Rep: Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Great post, computersavvy! Thanks for all the great info. I went to the link you gave and got the key, plugged it in and it's working again. It seemed to me that at the end of September all I would have to do is go back to that page and get a new key. I hardly every use it so that would suit me fine. I may have to update the software but I'll deal with that when the time comes. Thanks so much!
The idea with most FOSS is for you to try it, and if you like it then support the developers to make it better and keep it available. While makeMKV is not FOSS, but is shareware while in beta (and has been in beta with many updates for over a year), the same idea applies. If you like it, support it as I did. $50 is cheap for what it does.

I am glad this worked for you and hope it will help many others as well.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 1,992

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
Thanks guys. You're right of course.
 
Old 08-16-2016, 03:46 AM   #7
ardvark71
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Distribution: Lubuntu 14.04, Windows Vista
Posts: 6,277
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks guys. You're right of course.
No problem, hope everything is well on your end.

Regards...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firefox blocking pop-ups-how to undo 47knuckle Linux - Newbie 5 02-07-2007 05:19 PM
pop up a window manojg Linux - Newbie 6 03-07-2006 08:01 AM
Konqueror Pop-Up Blocking? flakzeus Linux - Software 4 06-09-2004 12:51 PM
Blocking Pop-ups Time Lord Linux - Software 6 09-23-2003 07:23 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration