The following troubleshoot steps worked for me, I use USB headsets and the sound was very low in them
To test if it is the alsamixer settings that are to blame:
- At a terminal execute "alsamixer". A few things to note:
- Use F5 to show all channels of the device
- Use F6 to check all audio devices
- Set all audio levels to the desired level
- Unmute all channels (M works for the "MM" muted channels, Space button unmutes the "-----" channels)
- Exit alsamixer (press ESC)
- As root, execute "alsactl store"
- Reboot your machine. If you still hear the low volume, go to a teminal and execute "alsactl restore"