LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
mmmnovak
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Linux RAID 1 ... VMware problem


Hello,

I have the big problem with software RAID on Debian 64bit.

I created sw raid 1(from two HDDs) in Debian ...this is OK, it will create /dev/md0, but I CAN NOT add it in VMware to guest PC as physical hard drive ... when I want to add physical hard drive i see only /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 but /dev/md0 isn't in the list

Do you know how can I fix this problem? It is possibly?

I sorry about English .... I learn it now ....

Thank you very much.
 
Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
aus9
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Mainly Debian based
Posts: 5,431

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
since its been a week and no one has replied I will try.

1) vmware is a kind of emulator....so it sees emulated bios and emulated hard drive partitions and systems. It is possible you are confusing real partitions and emulated systems?

2) So your host is 64 bit Debian?

3) what do you want to achieve by running vmware?

You may find, that www.virtualbox.org provides an easier solution. I have used it to create raid emulated systems...but you start an emulator and then you boot whatever you have created.....which is not quite the same thing as trying to boot a real partition
 
Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
mmmnovak
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus9 View Post
since its been a week and no one has replied I will try.

1) vmware is a kind of emulator....so it sees emulated bios and emulated hard drive partitions and systems. It is possible you are confusing real partitions and emulated systems?

2) So your host is 64 bit Debian?

3) what do you want to achieve by running vmware?

You may find, that www.virtualbox.org provides an easier solution. I have used it to create raid emulated systems...but you start an emulator and then you boot whatever you have created.....which is not quite the same thing as trying to boot a real partition
1. yes


2. yes


3. I want to create sw RAID on Debian a then add to virutal machines RAID arreas as ONE HDD
 
Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
aus9
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Mainly Debian based
Posts: 5,431

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
number 3....lets explore that.

a) you can create virtual raid in an emulator when you host has none.....but to use it you boot up an emulated system that is independent of your host.

b) you can have raid created on your host system but these are independent of your virtual machines.

you can share information between host and virtual machines...but this does not require raid on either side.
 
Old 04-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
mmmnovak
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus9 View Post
number 3....lets explore that.

a) you can create virtual raid in an emulator when you host has none.....but to use it you boot up an emulated system that is independent of your host.

b) you can have raid created on your host system but these are independent of your virtual machines.

you can share information between host and virtual machines...but this does not require raid on either side.
so, it is any way to fix this problem, when I need create RAID 1 on Debian ... and then on Debian Install VMware and connect to virtual machine the RAID 1, that is created on Debian ...?
 
Old 04-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
aus9
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Mainly Debian based
Posts: 5,431

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
you may want to look at xen but I have no experience in it.
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HowTos
 
Old 04-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
mmmnovak
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus9 View Post
you may want to look at xen but I have no experience in it.
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HowTos
The Free Edition XEN has allowed only up to 4GB - it is little for me :-(

Ihave only this problem with vmware, the other thing go very well on vmware ...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Linux RAID Smackdown: Crush RAID 5 with RAID 10 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-26-2008 10:40 PM
problem running VMWare on Linux wslyhbb Linux - Software 2 12-02-2005 08:16 PM
RAID 1 test with VMWARE fantunes Linux - General 0 12-07-2004 06:49 AM
Vmware Virtual Machine Problem With Windows In Vmware jvdbossc Linux - Software 2 05-28-2004 07:54 AM
RAID Devices on vmware m/c deepika Linux - Newbie 0 07-19-2003 07:03 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration