LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
alaios
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Aachen
Distribution: Opensuse 11.2 (nice and steady)
Posts: 2,203

Rep: Reputation: 45
Launch a special chrome browser.Is Kde possible?


Hi all,
I would like after my kde boots up (I am using the most recent opensuse linux version) to launch two chrome windows.

A. The first chrome windows should include two tabs, my online email and calendar respectively (that is easy to do). I would like that windows to override my kwin settings and have a different color bar and not being stackable in the task bar.


B. My second chrome window will be my normal chrome, for the typical browsing, following the configured color schemes.

As you might understand already the idea is to have my first chrome window easily distinguisable from the rest of my daily work.

Is it possible to do something like that in kde?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help
Regards
Alex
 
Old 07-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 17,418
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 5410Reputation: 5410Reputation: 5410Reputation: 5410Reputation: 5410Reputation: 5410Reputation: 5410Reputation: 5410Reputation: 5410Reputation: 5410Reputation: 5410
This post has been sitting here with no replies, so I figure I will horn in.

This really doesn't seem to me to be a KDE issue, but a Chrome issue. Now, I wouldn't use Chrome on a bet, because I prefer not to run nekkid through Google, but what have you tried? If you haven't tried anything, try something and let us know what happened.

That might be a starting point for a further discussion.
 
Old 07-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
RoverDog
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Don't know if it will help, but I use different desktops for different tasks. Desktop 1 is for WORK, also named like that on the taskbar. Desktop 2 is Browsing etc.
Each desktop have their own desktop wallpaper to make it easy to recognise where I am at. Also look at KDE Activities settings.

I do have problems with KDE understandably not remembering which browser window was open on which desktop. Maybe configure Chromium to remember destop setting on 1 desktop and Chrome to remember setting on other desktop. At least each browser can be set to open with a default set of tabs as "home" tabs.
 
Old 07-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
alaios
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Aachen
Distribution: Opensuse 11.2 (nice and steady)
Posts: 2,203

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDog View Post
Don't know if it will help, but I use different desktops for different tasks. Desktop 1 is for WORK, also named like that on the taskbar. Desktop 2 is Browsing etc.
Each desktop have their own desktop wallpaper to make it easy to recognise where I am at. Also look at KDE Activities settings.

I do have problems with KDE understandably not remembering which browser window was open on which desktop. Maybe configure Chromium to remember destop setting on 1 desktop and Chrome to remember setting on other desktop. At least each browser can be set to open with a default set of tabs as "home" tabs.
that perhaps the closest I can get.
How you can open then chrome on a specific virtual window? where do you have to save this script to start after kde login?
Regards
Alex
 
Old 07-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
RoverDog
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaios View Post
that perhaps the closest I can get.
How you can open then chrome on a specific virtual window? where do you have to save this script to start after kde login?
Regards
Alex
Click on the top Chrome Window bar and a popup menu will appear. Select "More Actions" from pull down menu, then have a play with "Special Window Setting" and "Special Application Setting". Here you can specify where the current application will open and what size, minimised, maximised etc.... You can force an application to open say maximised on desktop 2.
Have fun
 
Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 AM   #6
alaios
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Aachen
Distribution: Opensuse 11.2 (nice and steady)
Posts: 2,203

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDog View Post
Click on the top Chrome Window bar and a popup menu will appear. Select "More Actions" from pull down menu, then have a play with "Special Window Setting" and "Special Application Setting". Here you can specify where the current application will open and what size, minimised, maximised etc.... You can force an application to open say maximised on desktop 2.
Have fun
nice tip. and what if I want during login to open four chrome windows on four different chromes at four different virtual desktops?
 
Old 07-19-2017, 05:19 AM   #7
RoverDog
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Distribution: Kubuntu
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDog View Post
... Also look at KDE Activities settings.

I do have problems with KDE understandably not remembering which browser window was open on which desktop....
To quote myself, at least on KDE 4 my multiple FF windows opens up randomly all over the 4 desktops. Haven't tried Plasma 5 yet, about to upgrade my Mageia 5 to 6 and see how it goes. But having one Chrome and one Chromium will work. Maybe try FF on the 3rd desktop and Konqueror on the 4th
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: 4 alternatives to the Chrome browser on Chrome OS LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-29-2016 10:07 PM
[SOLVED] KDE launch display No Signal (after wine Steam Deus Ex launch crash) KGHN Slackware 5 01-21-2015 10:38 PM
LXer: Chrome 9 is released! Top 5 features in the new chrome browser LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-05-2011 01:51 AM
LXer: As Goes Chrome OS, So Goes Google's Chrome Browser LXer Syndicated Linux News 4 10-09-2010 03:18 PM
LXer: First Glimpse at What the Chrome Browser May Look Like in Chrome OS LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-14-2009 04:41 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration