LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Britten
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: 15
konqueror issues


ok... im not new to linux... but i am new to using it for my primary desktop... i am running kubuntu and i am having issues with viewing videos from sites like CNN.com.... how do i do this in konqueror? also.. konqueror seems to load pictures VERY slowly compared to browsing along on my windows box with IE.... there has to be some sort of tweaking that i need to do to get this to function as fast, if not faster, than IE.. and one more thing... do i need to download shockwave? i keep getting a popup that tells me to download it... but im not seeing any errors on the page that is loading at the time....
 
Old 04-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
bulliver
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Distribution: Gentoo x86_64; Gentoo PPC; FreeBSD; OS X 10.9.4
Posts: 3,760
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 78
Quote:
i am having issues with viewing videos from sites like CNN.com.... how do i do this in konqueror?
Number of ways to do this, easiest is to install mplayer-plugin

Quote:
konqueror seems to load pictures VERY slowly compared to browsing along on my windows box with IE.... there has to be some sort of tweaking that i need to do to get this to function as fast, if not faster, than IE
There is no switch to make things download faster. Are you sure konq is always slower? Could it be other reasons such as network usage etc...

Quote:
do i need to download shockwave? i keep getting a popup that tells me to download it.
I don't think shockwave works on lInux, so clicking OK will just take you to a download page for Windows and Mac.
 
Old 04-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Britten
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
ok no... same cumputer ... same network.. nothing downloaded... just seems to take longer for pictures to load on webpages... ant not just a bit longer.. like my girlfriend who doesnt know anything used it to browse the web.. and she was like "why is it so slow?"... i dont think its the downloading... its seems to be the rendering...

so there is no way to view flash pages?
 
Old 04-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
bulliver
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Distribution: Gentoo x86_64; Gentoo PPC; FreeBSD; OS X 10.9.4
Posts: 3,760
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 78
Quote:
ok no... same cumputer ... same network.. nothing downloaded... just seems to take longer for pictures to load on webpages... ant not just a bit longer.. like my girlfriend who doesnt know anything used it to browse the web.. and she was like "why is it so slow?"... i dont think its the downloading... its seems to be the rendering...
Well, I just don't know what to tell you here. I use Konq for day-to-day browsing and have never noticed a problem...

Quote:
so there is no way to view flash pages?
Of course, install the flash plugin. You said 'shockwave' which isn't the same thing...
 
Old 04-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Britten
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 39

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
so this mplayer plugin.. its not installed by default in konq? is there a plugin manager for konq... whats the betway to install these plugings you speak of
 
Old 04-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
bulliver
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Distribution: Gentoo x86_64; Gentoo PPC; FreeBSD; OS X 10.9.4
Posts: 3,760
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 78
Quote:
so this mplayer plugin.. its not installed by default in konq? is there a plugin manager for konq... whats the betway to install these plugings you speak of
No, not by default. I am not familiar with kubuntu, but the best way to install is to use the supplied package manager, which is dpkg and synaptics right? Just have a search for the apps, probably called 'flash-plugin' and 'mplayer-plugin' or similar. If you can't find them, try a google for "flash + kubuntu" or whatever and see what you find. You may have to add extra repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list.

As for konq, it should scan for new plugins everytime you start it. If not, go into "Settings -> Configure Konqueror" and there will be a 'plugins' tab.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Konqueror display issues RanDrake10 Linux - General 1 04-28-2005 03:57 AM
Camera /dev/sd*1 device causes issues with Konqueror elyk1212 Linux - Software 3 03-11-2005 06:47 PM
Konqueror Cookie, Identity Issues Jeffmrg SUSE / openSUSE 0 02-01-2005 09:00 AM
Mandrake 10.1 Official - anyone having issues with fish:// in Konqueror? bongwater Mandriva 2 01-06-2005 09:04 AM
mount -t smbfs and konqueror issues waljure Linux - Networking 6 09-24-2004 06:54 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration