LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   Is Red Hat Linux 9 without updates now? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/is-red-hat-linux-9-without-updates-now-295848/)

New_To_RH_Linux 02-28-2005 10:21 AM

Is Red Hat Linux 9 without updates now?
 
I know that Red Hat does not support Red Hat Linux 9 any more
So what all the users of this system should do now?
Is it good using this system without updates?
probably it will be too old soon

reddazz 02-28-2005 10:33 AM

You can use Fedora Core or Redhat Enterprise Linux. If you can't afford RHEL, you can get its clones like CentOS. Its not a good idea to run a system thats not being patched coz it leaves you vulnerableif any applications you installed have any security problems. Fedora Legacy provides some patches for Redhat 9, but personalyy if I eas in your situation I would try a newer distro.

New_To_RH_Linux 03-01-2005 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by reddazz
You can use Fedora Core or Redhat Enterprise Linux. If you can't afford RHEL, you can get its clones like CentOS. Its not a good idea to run a system thats not being patched coz it leaves you vulnerableif any applications you installed have any security problems. Fedora Legacy provides some patches for Redhat 9, but personalyy if I eas in your situation I would try a newer distro.
:Pengy:

But can I simply upgrade Red Hat to Fedora or I have to reinstall like new system?

reddazz 03-02-2005 04:29 AM

Theoretically you can do it, but I have seen a lot of people experience problems. The problem is Redhat 9 and Fedora Core 3 are so different, so an upgrade may not always work smoothly, so I suggest you do a clean install.

New_To_RH_Linux 03-02-2005 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by reddazz
Theoretically you can do it, but I have seen a lot of people experience problems. The problem is Redhat 9 and Fedora Core 3 are so different, so an upgrade may not always work smoothly, so I suggest you do a clean install.
Does that mean that I have to study the new system?:Pengy: :cry:

dcdbutler 03-02-2005 07:42 AM

It's not that different from a user point of view, not soas you would notice anyway. If you haven't already enabled YUM in your redhat box (for updates), you can do it for FC3 when you change over. It's a lot of fun and the support for YUM through FC3 is very good.

trickykid 03-02-2005 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by New_To_RH_Linux
Does that mean that I have to study the new system?:Pengy: :cry:
And quite frankly, once you learn one distro you'll find almost all of them share the same similarities.. they mainly differ with what they come installed with and the config files in /etc, especially startup scripts differ from distro to distro.

New_To_RH_Linux 03-02-2005 09:14 AM

But YUM was not included in the original release of Red Hat 9
and as far as I know Fedora Legacy Project has not developed yet
YUM for Red Hat 9

dcdbutler 03-02-2005 10:20 AM

Some yum repos for redhat can be found here
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/repos/
You just need to download and install yum, set up your repos for redhat 9 through yum.conf and you're ready to go.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.