LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
cyclops.matrix
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: London - Matrix
Distribution: Open Suse 11.1
Posts: 50

Rep: Reputation: 15
Red face Installing vmware on suse 11.1 - comp issue gcc 4.32 and 4.3


Hi Guys

You may have answered this problem before but i was unable to find a relevant thread for it.

Problem if any one can help is as follows:-
I have recently installed Open Suse 11.1 moved to KDE4.2 .1 looking good so far
I have installed the K Source. but my vmware install says the following :-

Stopping VMware autostart virtual machines:
Virtual machines failed
Stopping VMware management services:
VMware Virtual Infrastructure Web Access
VMware Server Host Agent failed
Stopping VMware services:
VMware Authentication Daemon done
Virtual machine monitor done

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your
running kerny" is invalid. It must be one of "y" or "n". the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] y
None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your
running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] yes

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

**************************

Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.3.2", while you are trying to use
"/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.3". This configuration is not recommended and VMware
Server may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly same compiler as
one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler
"/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.3" anyway? [no]


***************************

Ok.
I have downloaded the gcc-4.3.2.tar.gz ver from the following link
ftp://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ft...gcc/gcc-4.3.2/

thinking that this was what i needed but it turns out its not as my system is now showing after all that 2 hour comp.. NOW to be gcc 4.3-34

What have i done?
Is this the wrong file? can i fix it and how ?
Or should i just pull my hair out and start all over again? -

No I will keep calm

I would be grateful for whatever help i can get on this issue

Is it just me or is there a lot of issue with 11.1?
 
Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Chris Stegman
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
Wink This might work.

This might work.
First find out that gcc is set to nothing.
Then find out which version of gcc you have.
Make a link for gcc and then verify it is there.


# which gcc
replys with nothing
# which gcc-<version> i.e. which gcc-4.1
/usr/bin/gcc-4.1
# cd /usr/bin
# ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc --force
# which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc
# ls -l /usr/bin | grep "gcc"
gcc -> gcc-4.1
gcc-4.1

After that, run the VMware install again, and you should get past that problem. Don't be surpised if there are more problems and that some of the modules won't compile. I had to use a copy of the tools from VMware Server 2.0 for my Workstation 5.5.9 to get most of the modules to compile.
Also, if you don't get all of the modules to compile, but you get the functionality that you are after, don't waste your time working on the bugs for modules you don't use.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Chris Stegman
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
Smile Almost forgot about CC

Thank God I make lots of notes.

# echo $CC
This may return nothing or not be set.
# export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
# echo $CC
/usr/bin/gcc

That should take care of any remaining GCC or CC complaints from VMware.
 
Old 03-21-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
joek
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi cyclops.matrix,

I am having the same problem on Suse 11.1, so I looked for the gcc 4.32 rpm for suse and could not find it. Following your path, I downloaded the source and tried to compile it. I was able to eliminate some initial the config errors by adding options for the gmp and mpfr paths, however, when I tried make I received the following errors:

==================================================================================================== ======
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:354,
from /usr/include/stdio.h:28,
from /home/joe/Download/gcc-4.3.2/libgcc/../gcc/tsystem.h:90,
from /home/joe/Download/gcc-4.3.2/libgcc/../gcc/libgcc2.c:33:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or directory
make[5]: *** [_muldi3.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.32/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/32/libgcc'
make[4]: *** [multi-do] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.32/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc'
make[3]: *** [all-multi] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.32/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc'
make[2]: *** [all-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.32'
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.32'
make: *** [all] Error 2

==================================================================================================== ======
I looked for /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h and /usr/include/gnu/stubs-32.h and found stubs.h, not stubs-32.h, however, there was a stubs-64.h,

I am running this on a 64-bit machine, so I figured that I would have to add a configure option to tell the compiler that this is for a 64-bit machine. I went back to the config command and added the --with-arch=x86-64 option. This time the config command failed with the following error:

==================================================================================================== ======
Unknown CPU given in --with-arch=x86-64

==================================================================================================== ======

Did you encounter these issues? Were you able to overcome them?

Cheers,

Joe
 
Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
cyclops.matrix
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: London - Matrix
Distribution: Open Suse 11.1
Posts: 50

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joek View Post
Hi cyclops.matrix,

I am having the same problem on Suse 11.1, so I looked for the gcc 4.32 rpm for suse and could not find it. Following your path, I downloaded the source and tried to compile it. I was able to eliminate some initial the config errors by adding options for the gmp and mpfr paths, however, when I tried make I received the following errors:

==================================================================================================== ======
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:354,
from /usr/include/stdio.h:28,
from /home/joe/Download/gcc-4.3.2/libgcc/../gcc/tsystem.h:90,
from /home/joe/Download/gcc-4.3.2/libgcc/../gcc/libgcc2.c:33:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or directory
make[5]: *** [_muldi3.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.32/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/32/libgcc'
make[4]: *** [multi-do] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.32/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc'
make[3]: *** [all-multi] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.32/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc'
make[2]: *** [all-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.32'
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.32'
make: *** [all] Error 2

==================================================================================================== ======
I looked for /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h and /usr/include/gnu/stubs-32.h and found stubs.h, not stubs-32.h, however, there was a stubs-64.h,

I am running this on a 64-bit machine, so I figured that I would have to add a configure option to tell the compiler that this is for a 64-bit machine. I went back to the config command and added the --with-arch=x86-64 option. This time the config command failed with the following error:

==================================================================================================== ======
Unknown CPU given in --with-arch=x86-64

==================================================================================================== ======

Did you encounter these issues? Were you able to overcome them?

Cheers,

Joe
Sorry unable to help here. Still working on the issue.
 
Old 03-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
cyclops.matrix
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: London - Matrix
Distribution: Open Suse 11.1
Posts: 50

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stegman View Post
Thank God I make lots of notes.

# echo $CC
This may return nothing or not be set.
# export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
# echo $CC
/usr/bin/gcc

That should take care of any remaining GCC or CC complaints from VMware.

Hi Chris Thanks for the Reply

I am trying the above - will let you know what the outcome is
 
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
cyclops.matrix
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: London - Matrix
Distribution: Open Suse 11.1
Posts: 50

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stegman View Post
This might work.
First find out that gcc is set to nothing.
Then find out which version of gcc you have.
Make a link for gcc and then verify it is there.


# which gcc
replys with nothing
# which gcc-<version> i.e. which gcc-4.1
/usr/bin/gcc-4.1
# cd /usr/bin
# ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc --force
# which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc
# ls -l /usr/bin | grep "gcc"
gcc -> gcc-4.1
gcc-4.1

After that, run the VMware install again, and you should get past that problem. Don't be surpised if there are more problems and that some of the modules won't compile. I had to use a copy of the tools from VMware Server 2.0 for my Workstation 5.5.9 to get most of the modules to compile.
Also, if you don't get all of the modules to compile, but you get the functionality that you are after, don't waste your time working on the bugs for modules you don't use.

Hi Cris
Got this far an encounter the following:-

which gcc-4.3
/usr/bin/gcc-4.3
# cd /usr/bin
# In -s gcc-4.3 gcc--force
bash: In: command not found

# ls-l/usr/bin |grep "gcc"
bash: ls-l/usr/bin: No such file or directory
#

Last edited by cyclops.matrix; 03-22-2009 at 06:08 PM.
 
Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Chris Stegman
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
Sorry I haven't been on for a few days.

The command is not In (Indian)(November) but ln (Lima)(November) and is case sensitive.

This command will create a link from gcc to a specific version of gcc. For details use #man ln

Basically the path goes, CC -> gcc -> gcc-<version>

Some programs use CC to find the compiler, while others use gcc.
While I am not the expert on the exact way to set this up, this is what I did to get VMware to compile.

VMware is using the CC variable to locate the compiler, and gcc is acting as a traffic cop directing the request to a specific version of the gcc compiler. If you ever need to change out which version of gcc you want to use, you just have to change the gcc link and both CC and gcc will both refrence the desired gcc version. Sine the link is a file, you can save a backup before creating a new one, and just change the names to change the links.

As a suggestion, if you don't hear a response from the primary responder in a day or two, then create a new post with a link to the previous post, noting that the responder appears to be gone. One a thread starts getting a primary responder, people may not answer it any more. Creating a new thread gives the question a response count of zero and gets more attention.

Last edited by Chris Stegman; 04-01-2009 at 10:51 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is there a way to an xp home comp see a linux suse comp in a network rayclnz SUSE / openSUSE 1 01-03-2007 02:30 AM
Problem Compiling GCC as cross comp (mkdir issue) elyk1212 Linux - Desktop 3 10-01-2006 03:46 AM
Help installing TeTeX. GCC issue? Erik_the_Red Linux - Software 3 10-09-2005 10:38 AM
Installing GCC SUSE 9.1 jonwatson SUSE / openSUSE 13 11-01-2004 05:38 PM
Installing VMWare on Suse 8.2 bitpicker Linux - Software 5 11-03-2003 03:26 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration