LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   Installing Mozilla Firefox 1.0 (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/installing-mozilla-firefox-1-0-a-241442/)

Sam Boyd 10-11-2004 04:29 PM

Installing Mozilla Firefox 1.0
 
I completely don't know how to install Firefox. I'd also like to use Fedora Core 2, but can't install apt or Synaptic. What to do???? Thanks....Sam

daihard 10-11-2004 04:52 PM

Re: Installing Mozilla Firefox 1.0
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Sam Boyd
I completely don't know how to install Firefox. I'd also like to use Fedora Core 2, but can't install apt or Synaptic. What to do???? Thanks....Sam
The easiest path for me is to simply download the binary (bz2) file, open it up by using the "tar" command as follows, and run "firefox" which is under the "firefox" directory.
Code:

$ tar -xjf <firefox_file.bz2>
They may have an installer version now, but I've never used that before.

MasterPatricko 10-11-2004 04:55 PM

Firefox 1.0PR only comes as a tar.gz installer.
To install it, first download the firefox-1.0PR-{arch}-linux-gtk2-xft-installer.tar.gz and decompress it (doesn't matter where).
Then you should have a foldercalled firefox-installer (or whatever you called it).
Open that folder and run firefox-installer in a terminal.
A GUI installation will come up. Choose where you want to install it (remember you must have full permissions to wherever you make the folder) and all the firefox program stuff wil go there.
Eg. I installed it in /usr/local/firefox but I had to give myself full permissions with chmod because firefox will come up with errors if you don't.
Bookmarks, etc. are in ~/.mozilla.

chatterbug89 10-11-2004 10:06 PM

I never noticed the installer...:rolleyes:

I just used

./configure
make
checkinstall (great little program to replace make install ....this was I can trun my installs into slack packs so I can easily uninstall them :D)

LOL....

I have a question for you guys abotu FireFox thou. I installed it...but whenever i start it up it wants me to update to the latest version....but I already did. Now here is the thign that is even more strange. If i run the program as root it works fine. Also...if i'm not loged in as root and it keeps saying the patch needs to be installed I can't use the download manager built into it.

I have tried chmod 777 all the files int he firefox directory and that made no differnce...
I also followed the instructions going to about:config or whatever from the mozilla site to empty the values that said I haven't upgraded...diden't work...i'm stumped.

Sorry for not starting a new post...just saw this one and thoguh i woudl jsut post here... :D

EDIT: You know...i wonder if I installed Firefox from a slack pack i found...maybe i'll go install it manually from source again...oh well...

stonecrest 10-12-2004 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chatterbug89
I have a question for you guys abotu FireFox thou. I installed it...but whenever i start it up it wants me to update to the latest version....but I already did. Now here is the thign that is even more strange. If i run the program as root it works fine. Also...if i'm not loged in as root and it keeps saying the patch needs to be installed I can't use the download manager built into it.

I have tried chmod 777 all the files int he firefox directory and that made no differnce...
I also followed the instructions going to about:config or whatever from the mozilla site to empty the values that said I haven't upgraded...diden't work...i'm stumped.

I'm not sure if your chmod included these, but you need to chmod 644 the following two files:

/opt/firefox/components/nsHelperAppDlg.js
/opt/firefox/defaults/pref/bug259708.j

If you already did that, then I'm of no help, sorry :)

Scott

JL_mcp 10-12-2004 01:02 PM

Firefox on Fedora, Core 2...
 
Per the original question ... I was curious about installing Firefox on FC2 so I fired up an image and ran the installer. The GUI works as described, but fails right after verifying install location and etc. The error I got in my term window was the following:

[root@localhost firefox-1.0]# sh firefox-installer

** (firefox-installer-bin:6515): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_la yout_set_text()
** (firefox-installer-bin:6515): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_la yout_set_text()
** (firefox-installer-bin:6515): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_la yout_set_text()
** (firefox-installer-bin:6515): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_la yout_set_text()

[root@localhost firefox-1.0]#


Anyone know what that is about? This is a vanilla FC2 install with updates applied. Nothing special...

JL_mcp

chatterbug89 10-12-2004 10:07 PM

Sounds like something isen't up to date with some sort of python library (Pango? Do a package search for it...pretty sure it is a package by itself if I recall correctly). I'm not the expert...so dont' take my word for it thou...

Oh yeah...that fixed it! Thanks so much stonecrest :D

You know...I realy should get out of the habit, "if user permisions arn't right chmod 777!" LOL...epseicaly when I know what all the numbers mean...goes to show you how lazy i am...

I better not do tha ton my server...LOL.....

daihard 10-13-2004 12:01 AM

To get around the permission issue, I usually install my Firefox on my home directory. This is a home machine where I'm the only user. :)

chatterbug89 10-13-2004 12:04 AM

yeah same goes for me (everyone else in my family sticks to the windows side of the machine <.< ).

jasontn 03-11-2005 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MasterPatricko
Firefox 1.0PR only comes as a tar.gz installer.
To install it, first download the firefox-1.0PR-{arch}-linux-gtk2-xft-installer.tar.gz and decompress it (doesn't matter where).
Then you should have a foldercalled firefox-installer (or whatever you called it).
Open that folder and run firefox-installer in a terminal.
A GUI installation will come up. Choose where you want to install it (remember you must have full permissions to wherever you make the folder) and all the firefox program stuff wil go there.
Eg. I installed it in /usr/local/firefox but I had to give myself full permissions with chmod because firefox will come up with errors if you don't.
Bookmarks, etc. are in ~/.mozilla.

I tried installing it as root but the installation program just vaporised when I click NEXT after choosing the directory (I opted for /opt/firefox/). Check the directory but nothing was installed.

What am I doing wrong?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.