LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
ohmygoddess
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Install Nvidia driver on Centos 6 system and Lenovo optimus Laptop Y580 failed


I have a Lenovo Y580 Laptop with Centos 6.4 version on it. The original kernel is 2.6.32. I compiled a newer version kernel 3.4.53. And I used the newer version all the time.

Recently, I decided to install nvidia driver on my Centos 6 system, and be able to switch between integrated video card and nvidia video card. I used "yum install bumblebee" to install all the dependencies. However, I encountered several difficulties.

1. The bbswitch module cannot be found. It turned out yum install the bbswitch and nvidia modules into /lib/modules/2.6.32-xxx... instead of /lib/modules/3.4.53/. I searched online, I think the reason is that the kernel header is still 2.6.32 even I am using 3.4.53. I cannot find 3.4.53 version of kernel header by something like "yum install kernel-devel-3.4.53". So I have to switch back to 2.6.32.

2. The new problem is the nvidia driver doesn't work. I tried both ways: install xxx.run from downloaded from nvidia.com direclty and blacklist nouveau; or install nvidia.ko using yum install kmod-nvidia. It will automatically blacklist nouveau driver. But after I reboot system, I cannot login, it will stuck in booting stage.

3. Another way I tried is to remove all the nvidia configuration file and remove blacklist of nouveau, so I can login using nouveau driver. I can also turn on bbswitch: tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<<ON. But when I try to load nvidia.ko by "modprobe nvidia" OR use "optirun glxgear", my computer will freeze forever. I have to push power off for several seconds to shut it down.


2 ~ 3 indicate that I didn't get nvidia driver installed correctly. So my questions are: (1) Is there a way to install correct kernel version when I use 3.4.53, so that I can use yum install to get the correct kernel module place.(2) More importantly, how can I enable nvidia,ko without crash the system.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,485
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
Hi:

I found the kernel-devel-3.4.53-8.el6.centos.alt.x86_64.rpm and kernel-headers-3.4.53-8.el6.centos.alt.x86_64.rpm here:

http://bay.uchicago.edu/centos-vault...6_64/Packages/

Quote:
The bbswitch module cannot be found. It turned out yum install the bbswitch and nvidia modules into /lib/modules/2.6.32-xxx... instead of /lib/modules/3.4.53/. I searched online, I think the reason is that the kernel header is still 2.6.32 even I am using 3.4.53.
I think your right so....
Installing the kernel-devel and the kernel-headers and that should solve that problem.

As far as the Nvidia and Bumblebee issue that you have going on, I don't for one, understand why it's not working for you. Also I don't have experience with Nvidia cards.

Maybe (I'm guessing here) check in your BIOS and see if there is a option to enable or disable the Nvidia card?
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Your-Nvid...rking-on-Linux

Hope that helps-

Last edited by Ztcoracat; 06-16-2015 at 09:53 PM.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
ohmygoddess
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Hi:


Maybe (I'm guessing here) check in your BIOS and see if there is a option to enable or disable the Nvidia card?
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Your-Nvid...rking-on-Linux

Hope that helps-
Thank you! I have checked the BIOS, it has two options. One is for integrated card only, the other one is switchable card. Since my laptop is dual boot (CentOS+Windows7). I can use Nvidia GPU in Win7 system. So it's not because of the BIOS setting.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,485
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmygoddess View Post
Thank you! I have checked the BIOS, it has two options. One is for integrated card only, the other one is switchable card. Since my laptop is dual boot (CentOS+Windows7). I can use Nvidia GPU in Win7 system. So it's not because of the BIOS setting.
Your very Welcome:-

-:-Let us know how how things go with the kernel-devel and kernel-headers.-:-
 
Old 06-17-2015, 02:22 AM   #5
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,627

Rep: Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651
Cent dose not support OLD minor versions
CentOS 6.4 and 6.5 are BOTH unsupported

upgrade the the current and only supported version ASAP
CentOS 6.6 ( soon to be 6.7 )


cent ships with the Nouveau driver and the boot image is built WITH the nouveau driver
to install the .run
you first have to uninstall nouveau

then REBUILD!!! the boot image
Code:
su -

mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img

dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
then reboot and in the text only boot
login as root and cd to the NVIDIA.run

and install

or

better yet use the kmod-nvidia
https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7303
 
Old 06-17-2015, 03:49 AM   #6
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: NOVA
Distribution: Debian 12
Posts: 1,071

Rep: Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497
If you're looking for Bumblebee support though you can only use nouveau.
 
Old 06-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
ohmygoddess
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Your very Welcome:-

-:-Let us know how how things go with the kernel-devel and kernel-headers.-:-
I installed the kernel-devel for 3.4.53. But still, yum install will compile the nvidia and bbswitch module under the folder /lib/modules/2.6.32.
 
Old 06-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
ohmygoddess
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
Cent dose not support OLD minor versions
CentOS 6.4 and 6.5 are BOTH unsupported
upgrade the the current and only supported version ASAP
CentOS 6.6 ( soon to be 6.7 )
I use "cat /etc/issue" to check, my version is CentOS 6.4. But if I use "cat /etc/redhat-release", my version is CentOS 6.6(Final). So I think 6.6 is the correct version.


Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
you first have to uninstall nouveau
then REBUILD!!! the boot image
Code:
su -
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
then reboot and in the text only boot
login as root and cd to the NVIDIA.run
and install
or
better yet use the kmod-nvidia
https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7303
So blacklist nouveau is not enough? I have followed the similar steps as above link, but not work. I will try it again.

Last edited by ohmygoddess; 06-17-2015 at 01:21 PM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
centos, optimus


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install nvidia driver for optimus laptop failed to start on Centos 6 ohmygoddess Linux - Software 1 06-18-2015 05:31 AM
LXer: How to install and configure Nvidia Optimus driver on Ubuntu LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-01-2014 07:01 PM
[SOLVED] Turning off Nvidia GPU on Asus N53SV laptop. Nvidia Optimus. Installed Bumblebee Lop3 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 7 10-22-2013 07:11 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration