LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #1
abhishekgit
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, Rhel5,openSUSE
Posts: 165

Rep: Reputation: 12
How to monitor and compute performance on rocks cluster?


Hello everyone,
After a lot of googling, I've setup a rocks cluster with 1 frontend node and 2 compute nodes. The rocks version is 6.1 and packaged centos version is 6.5. The cluster is built and the nodes are up and running. I am unable to find good "How to's" to run a service on rocks, monitor the cluster, which node is getting the maximum load? Are the processes being distributed across all the nodes and so on.
I tested small jobs like compiling a c program using mpicc and running the same using mpirun. Which worked. Does a tool specifically to monitor the cluster exists? a tool, for example, generates unnecessary load, a benchmark, or something. What are the good guides i can follow? Please throw some light. Thanks!
 
Old 07-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,469

Rep: Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekgit View Post
Hello everyone,
After a lot of googling, I've setup a rocks cluster with 1 frontend node and 2 compute nodes. The rocks version is 6.1 and packaged centos version is 6.5. The cluster is built and the nodes are up and running. I am unable to find good "How to's" to run a service on rocks, monitor the cluster, which node is getting the maximum load? Are the processes being distributed across all the nodes and so on.
I tested small jobs like compiling a c program using mpicc and running the same using mpirun. Which worked. Does a tool specifically to monitor the cluster exists? a tool, for example, generates unnecessary load, a benchmark, or something. What are the good guides i can follow? Please throw some light. Thanks!
Since you did "a lot of Googling"...did you happen to come across the Rocks documentation that tells you these things????
http://central6.rocksclusters.org/ro...on/base/6.1.1/

The Rocks documentation has ALL the commands with explanations..
 
Old 07-30-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
abhishekgit
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, Rhel5,openSUSE
Posts: 165

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 12
@TBone,
I did go through the entire document. There's no information about performance measurement, parallel processing, proving the fact that the cluster is better than a single computer, which is exactly what i asked.
 
Old 07-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,469

Rep: Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekgit View Post
@TBone,
I did go through the entire document. There's no information about performance measurement, parallel processing, proving the fact that the cluster is better than a single computer, which is exactly what i asked.
There are many references to tools in that document, and many MORE you could have found with a Google search...just typing "how to measure rocks cluster performance", brings back about 70 MILLION hits....
http://etutorials.org/Linux+systems/...I+Performance/
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...rs/ULIeg77KMwk

...like those two, which reference many OTHER tools. Rocks has built-in utilities you can use (referenced in the documentation), which you can script with. There are also third-party tools, like those mentioned above.
 
Old 08-06-2014, 01:37 AM   #5
abhishekgit
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, Rhel5,openSUSE
Posts: 165

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 12
@TB0ne,
Thank you so much for the links! Got what i wanted
 
Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 26,469

Rep: Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936Reputation: 7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekgit View Post
@TB0ne,
Thank you so much for the links! Got what i wanted
You're welcome, but at least TRY to look things up yourself, rather than asking people to do it for you.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
compute node getfile error in ROCKS 5.3 mimran_case Linux - Newbie 1 03-02-2011 03:55 PM
Intermittent connectivity issues with ROCKS on a compute cluster gandalf85 Linux - General 0 09-13-2010 10:43 AM
Rocks cluster hostname foottuns ROCK 0 03-01-2010 05:11 PM
Suggestions for compute cluster timnp Linux - Server 6 10-05-2008 02:19 AM
2.4.9-12 rocks cluster - what now?? skatinsky Linux - General 0 03-15-2002 10:55 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration