LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
newbiesforever
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Distribution: not disclosing my distro
Posts: 2,228

Rep: Reputation: 98
how do I use samba?


For the first time, I'm interested in using samba to share files with another computer (a Windows computer) in my house, mainly because it's presently the only computer with a printer attached. Would I have to install samba on it too? It's installed here but I haven't even figured how to access samba yet--it's not in my KDE start menu.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
eSelix
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Distribution: Arch, Kubuntu
Posts: 1,271

Rep: Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319
Samba is not necessary on Windows. It has own native NetBIOS. If you installed samba and "kdenetwork-filesharing", then after right clicking on directory in Dolphine file manager and selecting properties, you get window dialog with "Share" on last tab. There you can enable sharing this directory with Windows client. If you want to access files from Windows, then you can do it by choosing "Network"/"Samba Shares" in Dolphin. Without Dolphin it is also possible, but some config files need to be altered manually.

You can also access shared printer (in "System Settings" you should have "Printers" icon, available with "system-config-printer-kde" package), so no files need to be transfered to Windows when you want print something.

Last edited by eSelix; 03-05-2013 at 05:05 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
newbiesforever
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Distribution: not disclosing my distro
Posts: 2,228

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSelix View Post
Samba is not necessary on Windows. It has own native NetBIOS. If you installed samba and "kdenetwork-filesharing", then after right clicking on directory in Dolphine file manager and selecting properties, you get window dialog with "Share" on last tab. There you can enable sharing this directory with Windows client. If you want to access files from Windows, then you can do it by choosing "Network"/"Samba Shares" in Dolphin. Without Dolphin it is also possible, but some config files need to be altered manually.
That worked; thank you. I can now access shared folders from the other computer. I notice that I can also make folders shared using Konqueror; it's slightly simpler there, because the "share" option is immediately available in the right-click menu.

It's not necessary, but why can't I make individual files shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSelix View Post
You can also access shared printer (in "System Settings" you should have "Printers" icon, available with "system-config-printer-kde" package), so no files need to be transfered to Windows when you want print something.
This is harder than making files shared. For some reason, my KDE printer control isn't detecting the printer attached to the other computer. I don't know the printer's address (for TCP). If I try HTTP/IPP, a network scan gives me an address of ipp://127.0.0.1:631/ipp . But under the URL it says
Quote:
Unable to retrieve printer info. Printer answered:

client-error-not-found
Would this be because my own system needs the printer driver installed to detect the printer? It's not installed.

Last edited by newbiesforever; 03-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.
 
Old 03-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
eSelix
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Distribution: Arch, Kubuntu
Posts: 1,271

Rep: Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesforever View Post
It's not necessary, but why can't I make individual files shared?
It is protocol restriction. Probably someone can invent sharing of individual files, but I don't think it will be usable in real world. There are workaround for this, for example creating a symlinks to files in shared empty directory. You can also restrict privileges to individual files, for example clearing world rwx flags. By default samba access files with nobody:nogroup privileges.

Quote:
If I try HTTP/IPP, a network scan gives me an address of ipp://127.0.0.1:631/ipp
I am not sure if ipp protocol works on Windows without additional software. But samba should. You should have that option "Windows printer via Samba" to choose. Make sure printer is online and is set as shared on Windows.

Quote:
Would this be because my own system needs the printer driver installed to detect the printer? It's not installed.
It should detect network printer without installed drivers. You choose which driver to use after detecting.

Last edited by eSelix; 03-06-2013 at 05:11 AM.
 
Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
newbiesforever
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Distribution: not disclosing my distro
Posts: 2,228

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSelix View Post
Make sure printer is online and is set as shared on Windows.
Hmm...I thought the printer might not be set for sharing, but it is. There's some other issue.

Last edited by newbiesforever; 03-07-2013 at 02:09 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to make samba read updated smb.conf file without restarting samba rjo98 Linux - Newbie 12 03-14-2016 12:19 PM
[SOLVED] SAMBA problem ?? rebuilding server ?? How to configure SAMBA share with writing - Win Alvin88 Linux - Newbie 5 04-04-2012 01:51 AM
[Samba] Samba as PDC stopped trusting my Win 7 clients after a server update martdj Linux - Networking 1 01-14-2011 11:30 AM
I need the content from thegoldenear.org/toolbox/unices/samba/samba-setup.html rtg2001 Linux - Networking 1 08-05-2004 06:54 PM
when i restart SAMBA,it says:stop samba failed,start SAMBA OK! whepin Linux - Networking 3 12-26-2001 06:54 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration