LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
davidx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 83

Rep: Reputation: 15
How Can I Install Foxit In Wine (Ubuntu)?


When I try to install Foxit Reader in Wine in ubuntu 8.04, the installation window appears for 4 seconds then completely disappears. It doeesn't install at all. I have the latest Wine version, FYI. And, I know there are people out there who have successfully installed foxit. How can I properly install Foxit without any installation problems?

When I try to install Foxit in Wine in terminal, I get the following error message:

x@xx:~/Desktop$ wine FoxitReader231_enu_Setup.exe
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\temp\\foxf81f.tmp\\Foxit Reader Setup.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\temp\\foxf81f.tmp\\Foxit Reader Setup.exe" failed, status c0000135


But, I did find the missing dll (MFC42.DLL) over the net, installed it in the proper directory, but that didn't help - I still get the same error message. What must I do?

.

Last edited by davidx; 10-20-2008 at 01:07 AM.
 
Old 10-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,483

Rep: Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610
just off hand why not use Evince for pdf and the geko-media-plugin or the mplayer-plugin
for MFC42.DLL Google
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mfc42
 
Old 10-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,083

Rep: Reputation: 403Reputation: 403Reputation: 403Reputation: 403Reputation: 403
It seems to be available for linux, is there any reason why you want to use it under wine instead?

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/
 
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
davidx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 83

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
It seems to be available for linux, is there any reason why you want to use it under wine instead?

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/
Yes, I got it working now. Also, I don't unsderstand your comment.

.
 
Old 10-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,083

Rep: Reputation: 403Reputation: 403Reputation: 403Reputation: 403Reputation: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidx View Post
Yes, I got it working now. Also, I don't unsderstand your comment.

.
My comment is based on these premises:

1.- wine is used to run windows programs under linux
2.- you installed the windows version of foxit under wine
3.- there's a linux version of foxit, that will not need wine to run

As you seem to have problems running the windows version of foxit under wine, what I suggested is to run the linux version, which doesn't need wine at all since will run natively.

I never used foxit, so I really don't know if my advise makes any sense at all (i.e. if the linux and windows version are in-par functionality-wise).
 
Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
davidx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 83

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
My comment is based on these premises:

1.- wine is used to run windows programs under linux
2.- you installed the windows version of foxit under wine
3.- there's a linux version of foxit, that will not need wine to run

As you seem to have problems running the windows version of foxit under wine, what I suggested is to run the linux version, which doesn't need wine at all since will run natively.

I never used foxit, so I really don't know if my advise makes any sense at all (i.e. if the linux and windows version are in-par functionality-wise).
i92guboj, thanks for the reply. Yes, I did download and I did untar foxit for linux. The resulting untared file sits on my desktop and when I click on it nothing happens. This is the command I used in terminal to untar foxit reader for linux:

x@xx:~/Desktop$ tar -xvzf FoxitReaderPre1_Linux_enu.tar.gz

What must I do now?

.
 
Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,483

Rep: Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610Reputation: 2610
Code:
[Download]$ ./ReaderLinux
Segmentation fault
[ Download]$
well on fedora 9 there is a seg falt
not to surprising suse 10 came out in - 6 October 2005
and fedora 4 has been DEAD for 4 years
 
Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,083

Rep: Reputation: 403Reputation: 403Reputation: 403Reputation: 403Reputation: 403
If clicking it doesn't work I would run it on a terminal just like John did, so you can see what's going on.

However I just tested here, my system is up to date. It ran, but when opening a given pdf it crashed as well. Maybe it's that it didn't like my pdf, maybe it's that foxit for linux is just in an unusable state (I haven't ever tried the windows versions either).

Unless there's a real reason to use it (as I don't know, I know nothing about it) I would just pick another pdf reader, there are quite a lot, and some of the open source ones are pretty good at rendering pdfs.
 
Old 10-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
davidx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 83

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
If clicking it doesn't work I would run it on a terminal just like John did, so you can see what's going on.

However I just tested here, my system is up to date. It ran, but when opening a given pdf it crashed as well. Maybe it's that it didn't like my pdf, maybe it's that foxit for linux is just in an unusable state (I haven't ever tried the windows versions either).

Unless there's a real reason to use it (as I don't know, I know nothing about it) I would just pick another pdf reader, there are quite a lot, and some of the open source ones are pretty good at rendering pdfs.
i92guboj, thanks for the reply. I had it installed successfully and was able to load it up with no problem. However, the scrolling is VERY slow. Is there any way to increase scroll speed as fast as in XP?

.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: How-To: Compile and Install Wine 1.1.4 in Ubuntu 8.04 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-13-2008 06:20 PM
Unable to install wine 9.22 on Ubuntu 6.06 WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Linux - Software 1 10-05-2006 08:11 PM
wine install help on ubuntu adamf4i Linux - Games 2 08-24-2006 12:27 AM
Error trying to install Wine on Ubuntu robogymnast Linux - Software 3 07-24-2006 01:18 PM
Wine on x86_64 Ubuntu install help Nox_hand Ubuntu 4 12-25-2005 09:16 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration