LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   Help Using Linpus Linux (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/help-using-linpus-linux-756512/)

Wakube 09-20-2009 03:38 AM

Help Using Linpus Linux
 
I just bought an acer e machine, when i boot it brings the coomand line [root@localhost /]#

i saw in another form someone had been advised to type runlevel or startx or telnit

have tried all these and it stil comes back to [root@localhost /]#

I am new to Linux and need your help please, thanks.

ak@shdubey 09-20-2009 04:02 AM

what is current runlevel
 
Hi ,

Could you post output of
#uname -a ( this will show OS details)
#who -r ( this will show your current run level)
#ps -ef|grep X (this will check if X service is running)
#startx ( if X windows is installed it will kcik GUI)
#init 5 ( this will boot your distro to Graphics User Interface, provided you have X-Windows installed)


about runlevel- it decides how would your linux boot with what opstions
■Runlevel 0 is halt
■Runlevel 1 is single-user
■Runlevels 2-5 are multi-user (some distro uses RUN level 5 to start X [KDE/Gnome])
■Runlevel 6 is for rebooting system

P.S - while running any of the commands if you encounter any error message, pls post that too..

-Akash

Wim Sturkenboom 09-20-2009 07:29 AM

You more than likely have a Linpus version without X (the graphical stuff in layman's terms).

Just install an OS of your choice

Wakube 09-20-2009 01:21 PM

Thanks Akash. I have posted as you instructed and the results are as follows:

#uname ľa
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.25.41p #10 Thu Sep 18 15:49:37 CST 2008 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

#who -r
Run-level 5 Sep 21 00:40 last=3

#ps -ef|grep X
root 10 2 0 00:24 ? 00:00:00 [ata_aux]
root 3639 1316 0 01:03 tty1 00:00:00 grep x

#startx
sh: startx: command not found

#init 5
Just goes back to [root@localhost /]#


Is what Sturkenboom saying possible?

Elv13 09-20-2009 02:33 PM

Your installation is missing the graphical part, it is just not present at all. Normally, acer one come with it by default, so the factory installation just failed. Try the recovery partition to reinstall Linpus or just grab EEEBuntu Linux netbook remix, it support acer one too. The interface and software choice is similar, but with newer versions of all applications.

Wakube 09-20-2009 03:05 PM

Thanks Elv13

I have a CD that came with it. Can it help and how do i run it from the [root@localhost /]# command line?

ak@shdubey 09-21-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakube (Post 3690733)
Thanks Akash. I have posted as you instructed and the results are as follows:

#uname ľa
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.25.41p #10 Thu Sep 18 15:49:37 CST 2008 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

#who -r
Run-level 5 Sep 21 00:40 last=3

#ps -ef|grep X
root 10 2 0 00:24 ? 00:00:00 [ata_aux]
root 3639 1316 0 01:03 tty1 00:00:00 grep x

#startx
sh: startx: command not found

#init 5
Just goes back to [root@localhost /]#


Is what Sturkenboom saying possible?


Buddy it looks like the linpus 9.2 distor you have preinstalled on your machine does not come up with preinstalled graphics desktop, i scaracthed internet a bit & found that you can install a GUI based linpus if you like from http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Linpus/ , the latest in linpus9.6
instructions to install
1. download the "LinpusLinux9.6.iso" from http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Linpus/
2. Burn to DVD , reboot your machine & let it boot from DVD
Information source - http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/Li...ict491988.html

w.r.t to your question( I have a CD that came with it. Can it help and how do i run it from the [root@localhost /]# command line?)
[root@localhost /]# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
[root@localhost /]# cd /mnt/cdrom
[root@localhost /mnt/cdrom]# ls -l

P.S - We can also install gnome or KDE if you want to experiment with your existing Linpus OS..let me know if you need help with that(this would surely help us learn more & offcourse will be more time consuming :))

Wim Sturkenboom 09-21-2009 12:43 AM

Your CD might help you further by booting from it and installing; I suggest that you do an install/recovery from it to see if it will install the GUI part. I don't think it will help, but if you don't try you will not know; I'm interested in the outcome anyway for future reference to others so if you want to test it it's appreciated.

There are plenty of places with info about installing other OSes;
have a look at http://aspireone.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page and http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elv13 (Post 3690790)
Your installation is missing the graphical part, it is just not present at all. Normally, acer one come with it by default, so the factory installation just failed. Try the recovery partition to reinstall Linpus or just grab EEEBuntu Linux netbook remix, it support acer one too. The interface and software choice is similar, but with newer versions of all applications.

This is not an Aspire One.

You can search the internet and will find that a couple of e-machines (or maybe all) simply come with a placeholder OS (see e.g. https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ork...-703136/ )

ak@shdubey 09-21-2009 01:17 AM

Wakeube, may be i am late to ask but Wim does have a good point i want to know if the CD that you have, is it an installation CD or a linpus LIVE-CD (more likely)?

In case if it is an installation CD we can try Wim's suggestion

-Akash

Wakube 09-21-2009 04:25 AM

Thanks Akash and Wim. Tried the CD that came with the machine but does not work. So have just gone to http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Linpus/ and started to download the GUI version of Linpus.

Problem is it is 3GB and with my EDGE internet connection the estimated download time is 528hrs. I guess i need patience.

But am just curious why Linpus would bundle an OS without the GUI in a machine to be used by lay people like myself?

I even tried asking for help from the e machines call centre but got the US one and they cannot support me.

thanks for this Forum and your advice. Will update you once i succeed.

regards

Wakube

Wim Sturkenboom 09-21-2009 04:44 AM

Don't ask why Linpus would do that. It's Acer who did that. It's just a placeholder; I think that in certain countries it's not allowed to sell PCs without an OS.

Stop that download if you don't have a high speed connection. This is over 20 days and if the connection goes down you might have to start over again.

Some options:
  1. Buy a Linux computer magazine with CD/DVD that has a distro on it.
  2. Get an Ubuntu CD via shipit ( https://shipit.ubuntu.com/; it's free )
  3. Download a CD version of a distro; only roughly 800MB so about a quarter of the time.
  4. Do a net install of a distro that has that option.

ak@shdubey 09-22-2009 02:27 AM

were you able to get ubuntu
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakube (Post 3691343)
Thanks Akash and Wim. Tried the CD that came with the machine but does not work. So have just gone to http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Linpus/ and started to download the GUI version of Linpus.

Problem is it is 3GB and with my EDGE internet connection the estimated download time is 528hrs. I guess i need patience.

But am just curious why Linpus would bundle an OS without the GUI in a machine to be used by lay people like myself?

I even tried asking for help from the e machines call centre but got the US one and they cannot support me.

thanks for this Forum and your advice. Will update you once i succeed.

regards

Wakube



Hey Wakeube,

Were you able to get ubuntu up & running ..

-Akash

Elv13 09-22-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakube (Post 3690833)
Thanks Elv13

I have a CD that came with it. Can it help and how do i run it from the [root@localhost /]# command line?

You boot on it

Wakube 09-22-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak@shdubey (Post 3692485)
Hey Wakeube,

Were you able to get ubuntu up & running ..

-Akash


My more Linux Literate Brother promised to get me one by weeks end. I will definately update you on what happens. Thanks.

ak@shdubey 08-01-2010 11:51 PM

Is your issue resolved now ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakube (Post 3693246)
My more Linux Literate Brother promised to get me one by weeks end. I will definately update you on what happens. Thanks.

Hi Wakube,

Maybe i am late again, wondering if your issue is resolved or if you need further help ?

-Akash


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.