I need to increase a RAID1. I followed a post in another forum which told the following actions:
- do a backup
- remove on of the raid devices from the raid (mdadm -f ...; mdadm -r ...)
- increase the partition with the removed raid device
- add it again to the raid
- wait till syncing is finished
- repeat steps 2-5 for the other device
- remove the write-intent bitmap (mdadm -G /dev/mdX --bitmap=none)
- mdadm -G /dev/mdX --size=max
- mdadm --wait /dev/mdX
- mdadm -G /dev/mdX --bitmap=internal
Everything works until step 8. If I do a mdadm --detail /dev/mdX after it, the raid1 still has the same size as before.
What is wrong in that?
I even did that under a rescue system, because the raid1 is where my real /usr is. From reading about growing a raid 1 I got the impression, that it should be doable even in a running system.
Thank you for your answers.
Best regards and a happy new year