LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 AM   #1
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,773

Rep: Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446
Question Firefox froze when I opened saved offline web pages.


Hi.

On my PC, in Firefox I usually download web pages and then read later offline. Today I opened a few webpages but FF kept freezing up. So I deleted a file called 'sessionstore.jsonlz4' in .mozilla. Then re-launched FF and now the web pages open fine. Is it safe to delete that file? The reason I decided to delete that file to solve this was because in the past, sometimes Firefox would open 2 instances at once - the solution was to delete a file called 'sessionstore.js' - the above file was almost the same in name - I know it was a different issue but I took a chance at fixing it.

Last edited by linustalman; 01-30-2019 at 07:26 AM.
 
Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth, unfortunately...
Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,869

Rep: Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by linustalman View Post
Hi.

On my PC, in Firefox I usually download web pages and then read later offline. Today I opened a few webpages but FF kept freezing up. So I deleted a file called 'sessionstore.jsonlz4' in .mozilla. Then re-launched FF and now the web pages open fine. Is it safe to delete that file? The reason I decided to delete that file to solve this was because in the past, sometimes Firefox would open 2 instances at once - the solution was to delete a file called 'sessionstore.js' - the above file was almost the same in name - I know it was a different issue but I took a chance at fixing it.
Well, assuming this file was in /home/whatever your username is here/.mozilla/whatever.default or similar here/ then this is your browsing profile folder for Firefox, for your normal user account. Therefore you could create another browsing profile for Firefox, therefore it would be safe to delete that file I would imagine. Particularly given I don't see any such file on my system.

But you as far as I can see, do not mention which version of Firefox you have installed, or which distro though...
 
Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,773

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
Well, assuming this file was in /home/whatever your username is here/.mozilla/whatever.default or similar here/ then this is your browsing profile folder for Firefox, for your normal user account. Therefore you could create another browsing profile for Firefox, therefore it would be safe to delete that file I would imagine. Particularly given I don't see any such file on my system.

But you as far as I can see, do not mention which version of Firefox you have installed, or which distro though...
Hi jsbjsb001. I'm using FF 60.4.0esr (64-bit) on Debian 9 Stable.
 
Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth, unfortunately...
Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,869

Rep: Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053
I've got the same version of Firefox (and I'm using it right now), and it does also freeze up on me too. I've seen others report this as well, so it looks like a bug in Firefox, and therefore it's not just your system. I've found pressing the ALT key un-freezes it, being the keyboard combo to switch between running apps, being the ALT+TAB combo. But just pressing the ALT key clears it for me, as in unfreezes Firefox. Try that next time it freezes on you.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 17,815
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 5543Reputation: 5543Reputation: 5543Reputation: 5543Reputation: 5543Reputation: 5543Reputation: 5543Reputation: 5543Reputation: 5543Reputation: 5543Reputation: 5543
I just saved this page as "complete webpage" in Firefox v. 60.4.0esr on Slackware 14.2 and was able to open it without issue. But it's not something I do commonly, so I admit that the test may not mean much.
 
Old 01-31-2019, 05:22 AM   #6
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,773

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
I just saved this page as "complete webpage" in Firefox v. 60.4.0esr on Slackware 14.2 and was able to open it without issue. But it's not something I do commonly, so I admit that the test may not mean much.
Hi Frank. Sorry - I should have added that I save the pages with the Save Page WE addon. That way just a single file is saved.
 
Old 01-31-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,773

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446
Post

I've since restored that 'sessionstore.jsonlz4' file and the issue has not returned.
 
Old 02-01-2019, 03:54 AM   #8
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,773

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
I've got the same version of Firefox (and I'm using it right now), and it does also freeze up on me too. I've seen others report this as well, so it looks like a bug in Firefox, and therefore it's not just your system. I've found pressing the ALT key un-freezes it, being the keyboard combo to switch between running apps, being the ALT+TAB combo. But just pressing the ALT key clears it for me, as in unfreezes Firefox. Try that next time it freezes on you.
I will try the Alt key trick if it happens again. Cheers jsbjsb001.
 
Old 03-07-2019, 06:09 AM   #9
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,773

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446Reputation: 446
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
I've got the same version of Firefox (and I'm using it right now), and it does also freeze up on me too. I've seen others report this as well, so it looks like a bug in Firefox, and therefore it's not just your system. I've found pressing the ALT key un-freezes it, being the keyboard combo to switch between running apps, being the ALT+TAB combo. But just pressing the ALT key clears it for me, as in unfreezes Firefox. Try that next time it freezes on you.
Hi jsbjsb001. It happened again today. There was a problem with 1 webpage that I had downloaded and opened in Firefox while offline - over a dozen other webpages posed no problen. I hit Alt but nothing changed - FF was frozen. A forced quit was the only fix I found.

Last edited by linustalman; 03-07-2019 at 10:53 AM.
 
Old 03-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth, unfortunately...
Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,869

Rep: Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053Reputation: 2053
Sorry for the late reply Linus, I've been busy.

Did you try the ALT+TAB combo as well?

If you did and it still didn't work then maybe it's a different problem. Therefore it's likely a problem with the Save Page WE addon, if that's what you're using when the freeze occurs.
 
  


Reply

Tags
firefox, freeze, froze, sessionstore.js


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why is mozzilla firefox on linux slow to open a saved web page when offline. newbiedb Linux - Newbie 2 10-18-2008 12:02 PM
Can't open saved web pages just saved by web browser... JeanBrownHarrel General 2 04-06-2008 12:52 PM
Kppp Froze>froze system>Lost a lot of data digitalhead Linux - Software 1 04-24-2005 09:12 PM
ADSL Router Web configuration pages appears instead of Personal Web Server Pages procyon Linux - Networking 4 12-20-2004 06:44 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration