LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
guysmiley
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Fedora 11 Missing Dependency issue with rpmforge


Hi everyone.. I'm still new to Linux, but i've familiarized myself with it enough to get myself into trouble..

after doing a 'yum update' i get this nasty error:

subversion-1.6.6-0.1.el5.rf.i386 from rpmforge has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: liblber-2.3.so.0 is needed by package subversion-1.6.6-0.1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)


plus a lot of other errors related to rpmforge.. I have a hunch that I need to uninstall 'subversion' which i tried to install because xbmc.. but i don't want it anymore because it's too hard to set up. I will be happy if I just knew how to uninstall subversion.. i think. Any suggestions? Thanks.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
Valery Reznic
ELF Statifier author
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 676

Rep: Reputation: 137Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
Hi everyone.. I'm still new to Linux, but i've familiarized myself with it enough to get myself into trouble..

after doing a 'yum update' i get this nasty error:

subversion-1.6.6-0.1.el5.rf.i386 from rpmforge has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: liblber-2.3.so.0 is needed by package subversion-1.6.6-0.1.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)


plus a lot of other errors related to rpmforge.. I have a hunch that I need to uninstall 'subversion' which i tried to install because xbmc.. but i don't want it anymore because it's too hard to set up. I will be happy if I just knew how to uninstall subversion.. i think. Any suggestions? Thanks.
You are trying to install RHEL5 package on Fedora 11 system.
Doesn't look to me as good idea.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
guysmiley
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Right.. I just want to stop it from trying to resolve these dependencies.. how do I do that? I don't need RHEL5.. i don't even know what that is.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #4
Valery Reznic
ELF Statifier author
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 676

Rep: Reputation: 137Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
Right.. I just want to stop it from trying to resolve these dependencies.. how do I do that? I don't need RHEL5.. i don't even know what that is.
Did you add rpmforge repository to yum configurtion ?
If yes, try without it.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
guysmiley
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
yeah.. here's my repos

adobe-linux-i386.repo rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo
epel.repo rpmfusion-free.repo
epel-testing.repo rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
fedora-rawhide.repo rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo
fedora.repo rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide.repo
fedora-updates.repo rpmfusion-nonfree.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo
livna.repo rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing.repo
mirrors-rpmforge skype.repo
rpmforge.repo


how do I get rid of it in my yum config?
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
Valery Reznic
ELF Statifier author
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 676

Rep: Reputation: 137Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
yeah.. here's my repos

adobe-linux-i386.repo rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo
epel.repo rpmfusion-free.repo
epel-testing.repo rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
fedora-rawhide.repo rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo
fedora.repo rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide.repo
fedora-updates.repo rpmfusion-nonfree.repo
fedora-updates-testing.repo rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo
livna.repo rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing.repo
mirrors-rpmforge skype.repo
rpmforge.repo


how do I get rid of it in my yum config?
With any editor remove or comment out each repository you won't use
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
guysmiley
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valery Reznic View Post
With any editor remove or comment out each repository you won't use
Will I need rmpfusion in the future though??

and just to make sure..

i would do 'gedit/etc/yum.repos.d/'

then edit right?
 
Old 11-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
guysmiley
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
i'm going to bed.. so i won't be answering right away just so you know.. and for considerations sake.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
guysmiley
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
bumpski?

Last edited by guysmiley; 11-14-2009 at 10:51 PM.
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #10
guysmiley
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
ok. I'll bump again.. the last time. then i'll stop.. so I can let the records show that no one helped.. but.. I have heard good reports about this forum.. i don't understand. I will automatically thank anyone who responds though!
 
Old 11-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #11
Valery Reznic
ELF Statifier author
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 676

Rep: Reputation: 137Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
ok. I'll bump again.. the last time. then i'll stop.. so I can let the records show that no one helped.. but.. I have heard good reports about this forum.. i don't understand. I will automatically thank anyone who responds though!
Not only you need sleep time.
And you know, there are also other things in the live but answering forum's questions.

About editing repository - mostly correct, but as long as I know you should specify file, not directory to gedit.

How anybody but you can know if you'll need rpmfusion in the future ?
But if it's cause problem now there is no harm in removing it, and you always can add it later.
 
Old 11-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
guysmiley
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
ah ic. Thanks! will try it out and post back results..
 
Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,363

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
RHEL5 is a different OS(Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 5). RPMs are generally made for one specific distro, arch, and version. Using an rpm built for another distro(or arch or version) is going to cause you issues(like what you are having). From the look of it you installed the wrong rpm to setup the rpmforge repo(you got the RHEL setup file instead of the F11). If you post the results of:

Quote:
cat /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo
We will be able to tell for sure. Assuming you have install the wrong one we can then direct you to install the correct one.

Edit: It appears there may be an additional issue with rpmforge. The F11 directory is coming up empty(F10 and others are still there). From the look of it rpmforge may be going through some sort of transition:

So it may be that they have a bad pointer or it may be that there has been a change in priorities.

Last edited by lazlow; 11-15-2009 at 11:34 PM.
 
Old 11-16-2009, 02:12 AM   #14
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,507

Rep: Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618
red hat 5 IS VERY DIFFERENT than fedora
the VERY FIRST thing you need to do is REMOVE/UNINSTALL -- ALL -- el5 rpm's
this might kill your system BUT THERE IS NO OTHER WAY !!!!

1) run this
Code:
rpm -qa | grep el5
--- for a text out put ----
rpm -qa | grep el5 > rh5.txt
reed the text file rh5.txt , or the output in the terminal
fro ALL / everything listed there uninstall
yum erase the.el5 file
Code:
yum erase subversion-1.6.6-0.1.el5
2) uninstall that el5 ( centOS 5.4/RHEL 5.4) repo
you installed the WRONG one

3) reboot
if your system dose boot after this ?????? if there were only 1 to 6 rpm's that you removed then there is a very good chance your system will still work

but if you uninstalled 50 el5 rpms then there is a good chance it will never boot again

then see this help page
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f11.html
http://rpmfusion.org/

or
Code:
su -
rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm
and that will install the CORRECT one
 
Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,363

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
While rpmfusion(for Fedora) is a good repo it is NOT the same as rpmforge.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
upgrade from Fedora 9 to 10, Missing Dependency Dr_Death_UAE Linux - General 1 12-05-2008 06:39 PM
openssl-0.9.8h RPM - "Missing dependency" issue giridhargopal.cj Linux - Enterprise 5 11-29-2008 06:55 AM
fedora update problem: Missing dependency gecko-libs gyc Fedora 11 07-22-2008 01:04 PM
Missing dependency updating compiz-fusion on Fedora 8 tron_thomas Linux - Software 2 11-12-2007 12:44 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration