LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
ze1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Error running an application after installing Nvidia Driver


Hi,

I`m having a problem when trying to run an application after installing a NVidia driver. What I get is:

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
vlogc - nao foi possivel executar /Sismica/Bin/vlog/Linux26g4_64/vlogx:
Mensagem do sistema: No such file or directory
vlogc - arquivo de log (/home/simone/.v3o2/vlog_pZD7gM) sera preservado.
freeglut (./v3o2exec): OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display ':0.0'

It runs fine if I use this notebook`s default driver, but I need an updated driver in order to run certain functions of the application.

Here are the contents of my xorg.conf file:

Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Default Device"
	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
EndSection
and here`s what I get when I run glxinfo

Code:
name of display: :0.0
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
What should I do in order to run the app properly?

Thanks in advance.
 
Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
arizonagroovejet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: England
Distribution: openSUSE, Fedora, CentOS
Posts: 1,094

Rep: Reputation: 198Reputation: 198
What version of Linux are you using?

How did you install the Nvidia driver? (Download from nvidia.com, via your Linux distribution's package manager, other...)

Did you reconfigure X to use the nvidia driver?
 
Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
ze1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I used Ubuntu package manager. It recommended me a driver to install and I did. Then, I restarted the system and tried to run the application. I did nothing other than that...
 
Old 06-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 17,148
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886
Is that the whole content of you xorg.conf? if so then I doubt your driver is configured correctly.
Run
Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig
from the commandline.
 
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
ze1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I did that, but I still can`t run the application.

However, the contents of xorg.conf file changed:

Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder58)  Sat Apr 16 22:49:04 PDT 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
 
Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
arizonagroovejet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: England
Distribution: openSUSE, Fedora, CentOS
Posts: 1,094

Rep: Reputation: 198Reputation: 198
Do you actually have an Nvidia graphics card? Might seem like a daft question but a few weeks ago I actually sorted out someone who had a problem caused by them having installed the Nvidia graphics driver despite not having an Nvidia graphics card.

Can you post the output of

Code:
$ /sbin/lspci
Assuming you have an Nvidia graphics card, what's the model and what version of the Nvidia graphics driver did you install? This info should be displayed by the nvidia-settings application.
 
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
repo
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: May 2001
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 8,529

Rep: Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899
Try to add
Code:
Section “Extensions”
Option “Composite” “Disable”
EndSection
Kind regards
 
Old 06-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
alan99
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 180

Rep: Reputation: 31
You should make sure your OpenGL drivers are installed and add

Section "Module"

Load glx

End Section

to your xorg.conf file
 
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
ze1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonagroovejet View Post
Do you actually have an Nvidia graphics card? Might seem like a daft question but a few weeks ago I actually sorted out someone who had a problem caused by them having installed the Nvidia graphics driver despite not having an Nvidia graphics card.

Can you post the output of

Code:
$ /sbin/lspci
Assuming you have an Nvidia graphics card, what's the model and what version of the Nvidia graphics driver did you install? This info should be displayed by the nvidia-settings application.
Well, there`s a sticker on the notebook saying "Graphics by Nvidia", so I assume it has a Nvidia card. =)
I installed a draiver which Ubuntu itself suggested me. NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current). It says the driver is activated but not in use.
When I do what you suggested, it says "no such file or directory". However, lspci gives me the following:
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9300M GS] (rev a1)
06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 5100
0b:04.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ba)
0b:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 04)
0b:04.2 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 21)
0b:04.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 11)
More specifically, with lspci | grep -i vga
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9300M GS] (rev a1)


Quote:
Try to add
Code:

Section “Extensions”
Option “Composite” “Disable”
EndSection

Kind regards
I did that and nothing different happened... =(


Quote:
You should make sure your OpenGL drivers are installed and add

Section "Module"

Load glx

End Section

to your xorg.conf file
Sorry for asking this, but how do I check if OpenGL drivers are installed? I`m not very experienced in Ubuntu as you all have probably noticed...

Last edited by ze1; 06-03-2011 at 11:48 AM.
 
Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04, Antix19.3
Posts: 3,794

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
I seem to remember that there are a few threads about 'installed but not in use' on ubuntuforums; maybe have a look there.
 
Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
ze1
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Oh, apparently there's a bug with the new Ubuntu and Nvidia graphics driver.... I guess that's the reason for the whole thing... =/
 
Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #12
alan99
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 180

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ze1 View Post
Well, there`s a sticker on the notebook saying "Graphics by Nvidia", so I assume it has a Nvidia card. =)
I installed a draiver which Ubuntu itself suggested me. NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current). It says the driver is activated but not in use.
When I do what you suggested, it says "no such file or directory". However, lspci gives me the following:
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9300M GS] (rev a1)
06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 5100
0b:04.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ba)
0b:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 04)
0b:04.2 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 21)
0b:04.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 11)
More specifically, with lspci | grep -i vga
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9300M GS] (rev a1)



I did that and nothing different happened... =(



Sorry for asking this, but how do I check if OpenGL drivers are installed? I`m not very experienced in Ubuntu as you all have probably noticed...
If you have Nvidia X server settings in the Systems menu, (nvidia-settings in a terminal window) click on OpenGL/GLX Information -- if a list of GL methods appear in the window on the right, your OpenGl drivers should be installed.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Installing NVIDIA graphics driver on running anoubis Kernel devdol Linux - Software 2 07-10-2010 05:21 AM
NVIDIA DRIVER ERROR: You appear to be running an X serve snakt Linux - Newbie 8 10-01-2005 11:49 AM
Error when installing nvidia driver. sdat1333 SUSE / openSUSE 2 12-12-2004 02:52 PM
error installing nvidia driver paulmedic555 Fedora 8 10-15-2004 11:32 AM
ERROR running make when installing Nvidia drivers (syntax error) randyriver10 Linux - Software 5 02-21-2004 04:51 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration