LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
LinuxGuru707
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Benicia California
Distribution: SUSE
Posts: 120

Rep: Reputation: 15
error loading operating system in suse 11.1


hi all,

i recently purchased a 64GB SSD drive and isntalled suse 11.1 on the drive. when i reboot the laptop it will say error loading operating system. i can install windows xp on the drive fine and it works great. i have also tried a previous version of suse linux 10.3 and i get the same results, error loading operating system. does anybody have any pointers?

thanks

anthony
 
Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,
Posts: 10,497

Rep: Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489
What OS do you have on the laptop internal drive?
How are you trying to boot Opensuse on the SSD drive? Did you install Grub to the mbr of that drive and set it to first boot priority?
Are you booting from the internal drive? with what bootloader? Do you have an entry in the internal bootloader to boot Opensuse on the SSD?
 
Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
LinuxGuru707
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Benicia California
Distribution: SUSE
Posts: 120

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
What OS do you have on the laptop internal drive?
How are you trying to boot Opensuse on the SSD drive? Did you install Grub to the mbr of that drive and set it to first boot priority?
Are you booting from the internal drive? with what bootloader? Do you have an entry in the internal bootloader to boot Opensuse on the SSD?
i dont have grub installed on the drive. im running open suse 11.1 32bit edition. i am booting from an internal drive. how would install grub during the install process?

thanks

Last edited by LinuxGuru707; 01-28-2009 at 01:22 PM.
 
Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,
Posts: 10,497

Rep: Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489
I'm not sure I understand. You are trying to install Opensuse 11.1 on the external, do you have it on the internal drive of your laptop? or some other operating system on the laptomp? What is it? If you have a Linux OS on the laptop, it should be easy to modify Grub files.

You answered most questions but not which bootloader you are using to boot the internal drive. Do you have xp installed on the laptop? Do you use its bootloader to boot it.

If you don't have Grub installed you will need to boot from the xp bootloader and that requires a few steps. Not sure what you want to do so will wait for your response before making any suggestions.
 
Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
LinuxGuru707
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Benicia California
Distribution: SUSE
Posts: 120

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
I'm not sure I understand. You are trying to install Opensuse 11.1 on the external, do you have it on the internal drive of your laptop? or some other operating system on the laptomp? What is it? If you have a Linux OS on the laptop, it should be easy to modify Grub files.

You answered most questions but not which bootloader you are using to boot the internal drive. Do you have xp installed on the laptop? Do you use its bootloader to boot it.

If you don't have Grub installed you will need to boot from the xp bootloader and that requires a few steps. Not sure what you want to do so will wait for your response before making any suggestions.
im not using an external drive at all. im using an internal ssd drive like a flash drive called solid state disk its a newer technology.

i was told by a friend of mine that grub is installed by default.

i dont have windows xp on the drive now, but i did at isntall it just to test it out which works fine, but then i installed suse linux 11.1 and deleted windows on the drive.

i have not tried any other linux distro on the drive yet but i may try it and see what happens.

how do i modify the grub bootloader???

thanks
 
Old 01-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,
Posts: 10,497

Rep: Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489
If you installed Opensuse on the SSD and it is the only OS on the system there should not be a problem booting it. Is it the only drive you have on the laptop? If you have another drive in the laptop, you need to have the SSD set first boot priority in the BIOS. Default is usually to install Grub to the mbr of the first drive in BIOS so if there is another drive in the laptop, that is most likely where Grub put its stage1 file, the mbr of that drive.

I'm not clear about whether you have another drive besides the SSD?
 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
LinuxGuru707
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Benicia California
Distribution: SUSE
Posts: 120

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancek View Post
If you installed Opensuse on the SSD and it is the only OS on the system there should not be a problem booting it. Is it the only drive you have on the laptop? If you have another drive in the laptop, you need to have the SSD set first boot priority in the BIOS. Default is usually to install Grub to the mbr of the first drive in BIOS so if there is another drive in the laptop, that is most likely where Grub put its stage1 file, the mbr of that drive.

I'm not clear about whether you have another drive besides the SSD?
i have only 1 drive in the laptop

where can i see grub installed on the drive? so that i can make changes

it is set to first boot priority.

thanks
 
Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
yancek
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,
Posts: 10,497

Rep: Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489
In your post # 3 above, you state:

Quote:
i dont have grub installed on the drive. im running open suse 11.1 32bit edition. i am booting from an internal drive. how would install grub during the install process?
That statement would indicate to me that you do NOT have Grub installed on your SSD and you have another internal drive?? The statement above seems to contradict your statement (below) in your last post??

Quote:
i have only 1 drive in the laptop
Use the Opensuse install CD, let it load, open a terminal/konsole and issue the command "fisk -l" (no quotes and lower case letter L). Must be done as root, enter "su" or "su -i" before typing the command. Post the output here. This is partition information which is needed.

Grub is in the /boot directory. It should have been installed to the mbr by default but doesn't seem that it was. I'm still not sure how many drives you have as you seem to have given conflicting information.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suse 10.3 - Error Loading Operating System dream_coder SUSE / openSUSE 5 10-17-2007 06:09 PM
error loading operating system mcferry Fedora - Installation 9 04-13-2006 11:41 PM
Error Loading Operating System :( zXen Ubuntu 2 03-06-2006 07:38 AM
Error loading operating system yakkiez Fedora 8 07-13-2005 10:14 PM
error loading operating system juvell Fedora - Installation 3 02-01-2005 03:56 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration