LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


View Poll Results: Would you prefer to use EMACS or VIM ?
EMACS ! 11 31.43%
VIM ! 24 68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #31
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
The irony is that I have many emacs key sequence programmed into my fingers such that if someone asks me how I do something I can't tell them. But I can do it. The muscle memory in my fingers knows.

This has a great advantage and a disadvantage. The great advantage is that as I work with a concept that I want to implement, I don't have to think about how to move the cursor around or delete a column or straighten my code. I just think about what I want to happen and it happens.

The disadvantage is that when I am forced to work with any other editor, I have to focus on NOT allowing my fingers to automatically pressing emacs keys. I have to carefully think through how to get the cursor where I want it, etc. This is very distracting and frustrating.

Emacs might be getting used to it.

If you count, ctrl + alt + key is 3 keys. If you would have only a single key to press, you can be guaranteed to increase rapidity.

Vi Visual in that matter has some advantages. Usually with a single hand, with vi, you fly through the doc.
 
Old 04-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #32
KenJackson
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Maryland, USA
Distribution: Fedora and others
Posts: 756

Rep: Reputation: 144Reputation: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by MensaWater View Post
A couple of years ago Canadian Border Patrol made me give them the password to my laptop.
Wow. That's an incredibly egregious security violation. (Unless you're a terrorist or drug smuggler--which I trust you're not.)
 
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #33
MensaWater
LQ Guru
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Atlanta Georgia USA
Distribution: Redhat (RHEL), CentOS, Fedora, CoreOS, Debian, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO
Posts: 7,831
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Wow. That's an incredibly egregious security violation. (Unless you're a terrorist or drug smuggler--which I trust you're not.)
Yep I thought so but didn't know Canadian law well enough to challenge them. They treated me so much as if I were a criminal I seriously thought about foregoing my vacation and getting the hell out of Canada. They've made me open my trunk on other trips but this was the first time they did this and delayed me for 2-3 hours. I gather from all the signage at the entry point they were mostly interested in child porn (which I didn't have, nor am I a terrorist or criminal). I thought it was stupid though - in these days of flash drives and sim cards what kind of moron wouldn't just use one of those and keep it concealed? Hell, why would you even need to carry it in rather than setup an encrypted connection that you accessed after you were across the border?

I was quite amused during the women's march that people coming into America from Canada (including at least one Brit) said they were coming here specifically for the march and were complaining at being turned away and also having all their electronics searched by American Border Patrol. At least there was the excuse of civil protest to search them. The Canadians had no reason to search me except capriciousness.

By the way if you're an American you do NOT have to give your password to any American authorities because of the 5th Amendment. The Supreme court has ruled on that. Oddly enough though if you use a fingerprint rather than a password (e.g. for unlocking your smart phone) you can be compelled to do the fingerprint though only for "legal searches" - there was another ruling last year that said the police aren't allowed to search your electronics without probable cause for that search which does NOT include you just having been arrested on any random crime.
 
Old 04-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #34
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MensaWater View Post
Yep I thought so but didn't know Canadian law well enough to challenge them. They treated me so much as if I were a criminal I seriously thought about foregoing my vacation and getting the hell out of Canada. They've made me open my trunk on other trips but this was the first time they did this and delayed me for 2-3 hours. I gather from all the signage at the entry point they were mostly interested in child porn (which I didn't have, nor am I a terrorist or criminal). I thought it was stupid though - in these days of flash drives and sim cards what kind of moron wouldn't just use one of those and keep it concealed? Hell, why would you even need to carry it in rather than setup an encrypted connection that you accessed after you were across the border?

I was quite amused during the women's march that people coming into America from Canada (including at least one Brit) said they were coming here specifically for the march and were complaining at being turned away and also having all their electronics searched by American Border Patrol. At least there was the excuse of civil protest to search them. The Canadians had no reason to search me except capriciousness.

By the way if you're an American you do NOT have to give your password to any American authorities because of the 5th Amendment. The Supreme court has ruled on that. Oddly enough though if you use a fingerprint rather than a password (e.g. for unlocking your smart phone) you can be compelled to do the fingerprint though only for "legal searches" - there was another ruling last year that said the police aren't allowed to search your electronics without probable cause for that search which does NOT include you just having been arrested on any random crime.
There are important lacks of respect in US and Canada, and a real danger in US also by cops, religion and terrorists, and by the modern "cowboys". It is serious there.
 
Old 04-12-2017, 05:30 AM   #35
YesItsMe
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 711

Rep: Reputation: 264Reputation: 264Reputation: 264
ed is the standard text editor.

Also, I switched from Vim to Emacs for my daily programming tasks and I haven't looked back. :-)
 
Old 04-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #36
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesItsMe View Post
ed is the standard text editor.

Also, I switched from Vim to Emacs for my daily programming tasks and I haven't looked back. :-)
No really? No longer VIM. What are possible benefits you found compared to Vim?
 
Old 04-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #37
YesItsMe
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 711

Rep: Reputation: 264Reputation: 264Reputation: 264
A superior indentation and highlighting system, a more sophisticated web-mode and it has Twitter built-in (half-joking here). Plus, it allows me to simulate most of Sublime Text's GoTo features (e.g. with ido or helm).

The only thing I miss from Vim is the relative performance.
 
Old 04-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #38
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesItsMe View Post
ed is the standard text editor.

Also, I switched from Vim to Emacs for my daily programming tasks and I haven't looked back. :-)
I have never understood how 'ed' works. vi and ed are interesting historical programs
 
Old 04-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #39
YesItsMe
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 711

Rep: Reputation: 264Reputation: 264Reputation: 264
Take this: https://sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/actually-using-ed/
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #40
rob.rice
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Distribution: slack what ever
Posts: 1,075

Rep: Reputation: 203Reputation: 203Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
I "wanted" to be an emacs user. But if your xterm has > 256 $LINES, then emacs hangs. A fatal flaw IMO. So I've been learning vim. But mostly I know how to exit both.

^X^C

<ESC>:q!<ENTER>

I've been using the cwm window manager for a while now, and a lot of it's default key bindings are those for vim.
there is always xemacs
 
Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #41
YesItsMe
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 711

Rep: Reputation: 264Reputation: 264Reputation: 264
XEmacs is quite dead now that GNU Emacs has a GUI.
 
Old 04-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #42
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesItsMe View Post
XEmacs is quite dead now that GNU Emacs has a GUI.


there are many emacs: x11, gtk, ncurses, and motif emacs...

like vim...


the best is ncurses, but you will go nowehere since you gonna use jabref to make you bound you to java.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] vim&emacs khw_2003 Red Hat 4 02-03-2014 05:19 PM
Emacs vs Vim splintercdo General 19 11-20-2011 09:10 AM
Quitting emacs and vim xeon123 Linux - General 2 08-25-2011 06:13 PM
regarding colors in vim and emacs pranith Linux - Newbie 0 02-10-2005 03:10 AM
Emacs or Vim? Whats best for me? wiggywag Linux - Software 19 10-15-2003 06:22 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration