LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Yuhan
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Posts: 357

Rep: Reputation: 2
downloading music


What is the best and easiest way to download music from an external website onto Ubuntu? I have both Rhythmbox and mplayer installed, but it's not clear to me how you download music so that it is recognized by those players. Would it be easier to use a terminal for downloading?
 
Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuhan View Post
What is the best and easiest way to download music from an external website onto Ubuntu? I have both Rhythmbox and mplayer installed, but it's not clear to me how you download music so that it is recognized by those players. Would it be easier to use a terminal for downloading?
What do music players have to do with downloading music? Just download them like any other file.

If you want to do it from a terminal:

Code:
wget url
replace "url" wit the url of the file. You can also use the "-O filename" option to specify the filename to save to.
 
Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
rahulkya
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: New Delhi
Distribution: Linux mint,Ubuntu,Debian,RHEL 5,slackware 13.1, free BSD,solaris.
Posts: 186
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 33
install restricted driver to play almost all kinds of files... THE above solution is good for getting any kind of file from url..

to play most of the files install banshee and vlc from synaptic..

Quote:
sudo apt-get install banshee vlc
rhythmbox generally plays only audio while banshee can play some video too just like itunes..
 
Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
Yuhan
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Posts: 357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
So if you're downloading an mp3 file, it makes no difference what the player is you're working with? Does it just wind up in the "download" file on your basic folder? Like I said, I've not yet downloaded music on Linux. When I go to a music site I don't know how to route it so that I can retrieve it easily and play it on a media player. I appreciate the input; I'm not yet familiar with a lot of Linux features.

Last edited by Yuhan; 07-30-2011 at 02:59 AM.
 
Old 07-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuhan View Post
So if you're downloading an mp3 file, it makes no difference what the player is you're working with? Does it just wind up in the "download" file on your basic folder? Like I said, I've not yet downloaded music on Linux. When I go to a music site I don't know how to route it so that I can retrieve it easily and play it on a media player. I appreciate the input; I'm not yet familiar with a lot of Linux features.
Unless this is some strange system that doesn't let you just download the music files, I don't understand what Linux or the fact that it's a music file has to do with this.

Basically, is there a "download" link for each song on that site? When you hover over it, does the URL end with ".mp3" (but it might still work if it doesn't)?
 
Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Yuhan
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Posts: 357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
When I right click on "download" I receive the options: "Save link as..."; "Send link..."; "Copy link location." I would guess it is "Save link as..." with the song title and/or artist following. Is that correct? But then once that command is executed where is the file stored? What is the best arrangement to download music and then retrieve it easily? I'm coming from a Mac environment where all this is done automatically through iTunes (for better or worse!).
 
Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuhan View Post
When I right click on "download" I receive the options: "Save link as..."; "Send link..."; "Copy link location." I would guess it is "Save link as..." with the song title and/or artist following. Is that correct? But then once that command is executed where is the file stored? What is the best arrangement to download music and then retrieve it easily? I'm coming from a Mac environment where all this is done automatically through iTunes (for better or worse!).
They are most likely put into "~/Downloads".

Also, you can choose "copy link location" and paste it into a download manager. Or you can copy the link and run this command:

Code:
wget "$(xclip -o)"
which will download the link currently stored in the clipboard (you need to have xclip installed.
 
Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
corp769
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,818

Rep: Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004Reputation: 1004
Hello,

I take it you are using firefox.... Open your firefox preferences, and make it so that firefox asks you where you want to store your files each time you download something. By default in linux, your downloads will go to your Downloads directory within your home directory.

Cheers,

Josh

PS - And yes, when you right click on any file within firefox, you would click "Save link as" to download it and save it to your hard drive.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
downloading music decksmasher Linux - Newbie 19 03-29-2011 11:16 AM
Downloading music on the internet davholla General 23 07-20-2008 08:27 PM
downloading Pandora's music d00bid00b Linux - Software 1 09-21-2006 07:53 PM
downloading music? straightup General 1 08-30-2005 03:25 AM
Downloading music pinkfae222 Linux - Newbie 17 07-15-2005 07:07 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration