LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
stu7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 95

Rep: Reputation: 16
desktop link which opens text shell /and/ text app HOW ?


With a graphical online app... gmail for instance...
I can make a desktop link which first opens a web
browser, and then starts the online app... again,
I do this with gmail and other online services.

I want to do similar, but in the local environment...
from a desktop link, open a text shell (xterm for instance)
and, in that start a text application - it is gphoto2 I
specifically want to use.

Presently, I can make a link which does open a text shell,
however, trying to pass arguments to start the second app
with this fails for me... anybody know how to do this ?

Thanks
 
Old 10-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,836
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242
In the launcher you could specify a full command, eg.

Code:
xterm -C 'name_of_the_program'
That way xterm will open and run the program that you specify.
 
Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
stu7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 95

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
In the launcher you could specify a full command, eg.

Code:
xterm -C 'name_of_the_program'
That way xterm will open and run the program that you specify.
ah thanks - that works !
 
Old 10-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,836
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242
What desktop environment are you using?
 
Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
stu7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 95

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
What desktop environment are you using?
hmm... I used to know this(!)... its the standard desktop for puppylinux
is the best I can do.

other than bookmarks which work well with web addresses, all I have
for desktop links is prism which gives you a form to fill in with the
app location ( /usr/bin/app ) and then an argument... this is where it
is failing for me... it opens the text terminal fine but then chokes
on the second argument and it doesnt open.

maybe there is a link tool Im not aware of PRISM is terrific for
what it does, but again not working here

thanks for your persistence
 
Old 10-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,836
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu7 View Post
hmm... I used to know this(!)... its the standard desktop for puppylinux
is the best I can do.

other than bookmarks which work well with web addresses, all I have
for desktop links is prism which gives you a form to fill in with the
app location ( /usr/bin/app ) and then an argument... this is where it
is failing for me... it opens the text terminal fine but then chokes
on the second argument and it doesnt open.

maybe there is a link tool Im not aware of PRISM is terrific for
what it does, but again not working here

thanks for your persistence
I don't know prism but a quick google search reveals that it's a WEB app launcher so the problem may be there. I haven't use Puppy for ages so don't know what they have in the repositories but perhaps you could search for some other app launcher.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
stu7
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Posts: 95

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex View Post
I don't know prism but a quick google search reveals that it's a WEB app launcher so the problem may be there. I haven't use Puppy for ages so don't know what they have in the repositories but perhaps you could search for some other app launcher.
oh gee... you have been s-ooo helpful, really !

yes, that must be the issue with PRISM... [web app] launcher it is

I will look for other launchers suitable for desktop, and thank you again
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gnome-terminal opens blank with no text at all meridionaljet Linux - Software 6 08-27-2011 08:11 PM
debian opens in text. not GUI b80amyt Linux - Newbie 16 02-24-2011 12:25 AM
Cannot read text from text file and store it in a variable using shell script anurupr Linux - Newbie 2 03-03-2010 02:38 PM
Delete line of text from text file via shell? zizou86 Programming 3 01-13-2010 12:25 PM
How to find and change a specific text in a text file by using shell script Bassam Programming 1 07-18-2005 08:15 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration