LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #1
TheOrangeRemix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Dependency problem with installing Wireshark in Linux Mint 17.3


Hi, I am trying to install Wireshark on my Linux Mint 17.3 machine, but when I attempt to do so, I get the following errors for dependencies:


Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wireshark : Depends: wireshark-qt but it is not going to be installed or
wireshark-gtk but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

When I try to install each one of these dependencies, it tells me that it depends on another and it eventually gets down to "libwireshark-data" package. When I try to install that one, it says it's the latest version.

Not sure where to go from here?
 
Old 08-18-2016, 04:42 AM   #2
Habitual
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Abingdon, VA
Distribution: Catalina
Posts: 9,374
Blog Entries: 37

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
open a terminal and paste the results back here please:
Code:
inxi -rS
 
Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
TheOrangeRemix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
System: Host: FW-SIP Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.2
Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dreibh-ppa-trusty.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/dreibh/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/dreibh/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com rosa main upstream import #id:linuxmint_main
deb http://extra.linuxmint.com rosa main #id:linuxmint_extra
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ trusty partner
 
Old 08-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 20 MATE
Posts: 8,048
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917
Can you also please run

Code:
sudo apt-get update
then paste the output from the following (don't go through with the upgrade):

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
 
Old 08-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
erik2282
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: TX
Distribution: mint,deb,centos
Posts: 818

Rep: Reputation: 228Reputation: 228Reputation: 228
try
Code:
apt-get install -f
 
Old 08-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
TheOrangeRemix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
Can you also please run

Code:
sudo apt-get update
then paste the output from the following (don't go through with the upgrade):

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
gnupg gpgv libgcrypt11 libgcrypt11:i386
4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,249 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
 
Old 08-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
TheOrangeRemix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik2282 View Post
try
Code:
apt-get install -f
For the output, it just said that nothing was upgraded.
 
Old 08-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 20 MATE
Posts: 8,048
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeRemix View Post
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
gnupg gpgv libgcrypt11 libgcrypt11:i386
4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,249 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Ok, thanks. Do it again but go ahead with the upgrade this time. Then run (and paste the output from):

Code:
sudo apt-get check
 
Old 08-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
Habitual
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Abingdon, VA
Distribution: Catalina
Posts: 9,374
Blog Entries: 37

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeRemix View Post
Code:
System:    Host: FW-SIP Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.2
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dreibh-ppa-trusty.list
           deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/dreibh/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
           deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/dreibh/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
Wireshark repo from the author?
The repo for dreibh wouldn't work for me on Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
but this one from wireshark DEVs does provide wireshark-2.0.4
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wireshark-dev/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wireshark-qt
I don't know the keyboard.fu to select one repo over a default one as wireshark is in the stock repos is for
Version: 1.10.6-1

but there's only one wireshark-qt and that pulls from the devs PPA.

Let us know.

Last edited by Habitual; 08-18-2016 at 05:52 PM.
 
Old 08-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
TheOrangeRemix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
Ok, thanks. Do it again but go ahead with the upgrade this time. Then run (and paste the output from):

Code:
sudo apt-get check
I just get the following:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
 
Old 08-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
TheOrangeRemix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
Wireshark repo from the author?
The repo for dreibh wouldn't work for me on Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
but this one from wireshark DEVs does provide wireshark-2.0.4
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wireshark-dev/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wireshark-qt
I don't know the keyboard.fu to select one repo over a default one as wireshark is in the stock repos is for
Version: 1.10.6-1

but there's only one wireshark-qt and that pulls from the devs PPA.

Let us know.
When I try the commands above, I get the same error message that I did originally:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wireshark-qt : Depends: wireshark-common (= 2.3.0+git20160818152358~fce1871d-0ubuntu1~trusty1~ppa0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libwireshark0 (>= 2.3.0+git20160818152358~fce1871d-0ubuntu1~trusty1~ppa0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Last edited by TheOrangeRemix; 08-19-2016 at 11:11 AM.
 
Old 08-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 20 MATE
Posts: 8,048
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeRemix View Post
I just get the following:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Ok, thanks. What we are going to do now is find out what is actually installed on your machine Wireshark-wise, uninstall it, and then uninstall any unused dependencies that are left over (if you're up for it).

Firstly:

Code:
dpkg -l *wiresh*
 
Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
TheOrangeRemix
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Posts: 19

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
Ok, thanks. What we are going to do now is find out what is actually installed on your machine Wireshark-wise, uninstall it, and then uninstall any unused dependencies that are left over (if you're up for it).

Firstly:

Code:
dpkg -l *wiresh*
All right, here we are:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description

ii libwireshark-data 2.3.0+git201608051 all network packet dissection library -- data files
rc libwireshark0:amd64 2.1.1+git201606300 amd64 network packet dissection library -- shared library
un libwireshark1 <none> <none> (no description available)
un wireshark <none> <none> (no description available)
rc wireshark-common 2.1.1+git201606300 amd64 network traffic analyzer - common files
ii wireshark-doc 2.3.0+git201608051 all network traffic analyzer - documentation
un wireshark-qt <none> <none> (no description available
)

Last edited by TheOrangeRemix; 08-19-2016 at 06:29 PM.
 
Old 08-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #14
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 20 MATE
Posts: 8,048
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917Reputation: 2917
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeRemix View Post
All right, here we are:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-===========================-==================-==================-===========
ii libwireshark-data 2.3.0+git201608051 all network packet dissection library -- data files
rc libwireshark0:amd64 2.1.1+git201606300 amd64 network packet dissection library -- shared library
un libwireshark1 <none> <none> (no description available)
un wireshark <none> <none> (no description available)
rc wireshark-common 2.1.1+git201606300 amd64 network traffic analyzer - common files
ii wireshark-doc 2.3.0+git201608051 all network traffic analyzer - documentation
un wireshark-qt <none> <none> (no description available
)
Thanks. For info, ii effectively means that a package is installed, un uninstalled, and rc shows that the package is uninstalled but config files have still to be removed.

So, do the following, but if any of the commands appear to be proposing the removal of additional packages that don't look related to Wireshark then don't go through with the removal and paste the output here:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge libwireshark-data
sudo apt-get purge libwireshark0:amd64
sudo apt-get purge wireshark-common
sudo apt-get purge wireshark-doc
apt-get purge removes both a package and its configuration files (but usually not your personal configuration files in your home folder, although that shouldn't be a problem here).

P.S. Can you please go back and edit out a lot of those '=' characters in your previous post as they're pushing the thread beyond the width of the screen (or at least on my screen ;-))

Last edited by hydrurga; 08-19-2016 at 03:19 PM.
 
Old 08-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #15
Habitual
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Abingdon, VA
Distribution: Catalina
Posts: 9,374
Blog Entries: 37

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
and I believe he'll need to comment contents of or outright move/delete /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dreibh-ppa-trusty.list
as I believe it may conflict with the repo I supplied, if that is to be used.

Just sayin',
Thanks!

Last edited by Habitual; 08-19-2016 at 03:44 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Solved Dependency Is Not satisfiable: libvpx1 Error While Installing VirtualBox In Linux Mint 18 Beta LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-12-2016 10:15 PM
Mint upgrade => dependency problem ThePigster Linux - Software 3 06-05-2011 06:13 PM
library dependency error when starting wireshark/tcpdump danielle Linux - Newbie 5 01-07-2011 05:09 AM
Problem installing wireshark with yum bozoka45 Fedora 4 10-12-2007 04:33 PM
dependency problem by installing j2sdk-1_4_2-linux-i586.rpm linuxJaver Slackware 8 07-05-2003 12:04 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration