[SOLVED] Debian wheezy glitches while playback after upgrade
Linux - SoftwareThis forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Debian wheezy glitches while playback after upgrade
I run Debian Wheezy x86_64 and after upgrade to Wheezy from squeeze I have glitching sound sound with a lot of noise appearing when I play music in Clementine and Vlc. Vlc have that much of echo and noise that is not possible to watch to movie with it.
I can play music on pulse with DeadBeeF without glitches and noise and with Mplayer also videos without noise.
Output of lspci -v (part about audio device):
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device a132
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
Memory at fe020000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities:  Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
When I run alsamixer version 1.0.25
I get message: This sound device does not have any playback controls.
which is weird because I have installed alsa.
Opening audio decoder: [mpg123] MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 layers I, II, III
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 320.0 kbit/22.68% (ratio: 40000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [mpg123] afm: mpg123 (MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 layers I, II, III)
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1293:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p' failed (-2): No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa:device=default'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video
doesnt help I still dont have working alsa.
I have tried to run module assistent and install alsa from source but it fails.
Can anyone help this is really annoying also to say I was just updating Gstreamer and installed version 1.0 than noise started I removed all gstreamer 1.0 packages and leave 0.10.
It looks like my alsa config file on /etc/asound.conf was rewritten by some application and it was written
Dont know which package done that but now I have alsamixer working but I still have noise while playing Vlc and movies noise and echo.
Can I record that sound on some way to post it it sound really ugly.
My Vlc is version
2.0.3-2 version from wheezy I have installed yauap that is command line gstreamer player to test is it a gstreamer problem and it play fine mp3 music. So it shouldnt be a gstreamer problem I checked this because I have trying to upgrade gstreamer on gstreamer1.0
Now only noise is produced by Vlc I have used Vlc for months and it was this same version I really dont know what is the error that make vlc produce noise instead of clear sound.
I know this sounds drastic, but I suggest getting rid of pulseaudio altogether. If alsa + dmix works for you, there really is no reason to use pulseaudio. However, if you would like to continue using pulseaudio, perhaps vlc is configured to use alsa and pulseaudio is emualting alsa. This could be causing the noise. vlc should support outputting directly to pulseaudio. Check your setting in vlc to make sure it is set to pulseaudio and not alsa.
You may just need to reboot your machine after removing pulseaudio. Otherwise, run gstreamer-properties (or it might be gnome-gstreamer-properties or mate-gstreamer-properties if you run with mate) and select alsa as the output and input system.
Damn it I feel foolish that I didnt checked that before.
It was just simple change in asound.conf file:
# If defaults.namehint.showall is set to off in alsa.conf, then this is
# necessary to make this pcm show up in the list returned by
# snd_device_name_hint or aplay -L
hint.description "Default Audio Device"