LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   Converting DVD videos to MP4 using WinFF (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/converting-dvd-videos-to-mp4-using-winff-4175591743/)

fgeraci 10-19-2016 10:54 AM

Converting DVD videos to MP4 using WinFF
 
I started WinFF with my external DVD player last night. I want to copy the DVD to my local HD.
It is running in a "terminal" window. No "error" messages.
This morning it is still running with the DVD player LED flashing often.
Anyone know how long this process should take ?
It's "Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey". I want to run it on my Acer Aspire One
to see if the netbook can run it.
Best

BW-userx 10-19-2016 11:44 AM

what are you using to copy it with? cpu that is. A quad core, dual core, atom cpu? I had a netbook with an atom tried handbrake on it to resample mp4's to watch took way too long to do most ended up crap due to the atom cpu trying to do the work.

did you look in whatever directory you're copying it to and see if their is anything looking like a file then check it's size to see if you're making progress?

kilgoretrout 10-19-2016 11:52 AM

Have you tried using Handbrake instead? It's a lot easier to use than WinFF. To answer your question, WinFF is hanging up for some reason; the time to rip a dvd to mp4 is usually measured in minutes, not hours, on any reasonably modern hardware. Hangups are usually due to a dirty,scratched or otherwise damaged dvd or some copy protection scheme. I would give Handbrake a try and see if you can get better results. You could also try another dvd drive if one is available. When all else fails and you can play but not rip the dvd, I use SimpleScreenRecorder to to copy the dvd to mp4 by doing a screen record of the dvd while it is playing:

http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

It's available on most distros I've used.

BW-userx 10-19-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout (Post 5620075)
I use SimpleScreenRecorder to to copy the dvd to mp4 by doing a screen record of the dvd while it is playing:

http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

It's available on most distros I've used.

That's soooo sneeeeaky :thumbsup:


I didn't even know I had that
Quote:

userx@Voided.1 & ~ >> $sudo xbps-query -Rs "screen recorder"
[-] ssr-0.3.6_4 Simple Screen Recorder for programs and games
[-] ssr-32bit-0.3.6_4 Simple Screen Recorder for programs and games (32bit)

fgeraci 10-20-2016 11:11 AM

Measured success with WinFF
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BW-userx (Post 5620067)
what are you using to copy it with? cpu that is. A quad core, dual core, atom cpu? I had a netbook with an atom tried handbrake on it to resample mp4's to watch took way too long to do most ended up crap due to the atom cpu trying to do the work.

did you look in whatever directory you're copying it to and see if their is anything looking like a file then check it's size to see if you're making progress?

Thanks for the help. It's an "Atom" 1.6 g w/ 1 g mem.

Looks like WinFF did it's job. I have a # of Video files in my /home dir. I made the mistake of "loading-up" all my .vob file in WinFF and it processed them all, taking a full day. Now I need to sort-out all the "empty" MP4 files in my dir.
I'm a total "noob" and LEARNING. I'm a retired Win/PC Specialist, but now Linux has stolen my heart !!
Best to All

BW-userx 10-20-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgeraci (Post 5620574)
Thanks for the help. It's an "Atom" 1.6 g w/ 1 g mem.

Looks like WinFF did it's job. I have a # of Video files in my /home dir. I made the mistake of "loading-up" all my .vob file in WinFF and it processed them all, taking a full day. Now I need to sort-out all the "empty" MP4 files in my dir.
I'm a total "noob" and LEARNING. I'm a retired Win/PC Specialist, but now Linux has stolen my heart !!
Best to All

yep sounds like that same "Atom" 1.6 g w/ 1 g mem I had in my old acer d250 that took forever to re-sample no matter what. even though I used handbrake. if you can I suggest getting a better (pawn shop special even) netbook/laptop with a better cpu.

keep in mind that a dual core atom cpu's suck too.

With todays DVD movies with all of that data they put inside of them just to watch it, atom cpu in my experience do not cut it when trying to even watch one. But you're results maybe different. I only had that one atom in the acer d250. still it is not a work horse cpu, it is a lightweight web browser cpu hence the netbook "logo/nick name"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.