LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Software (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/)
-   -   Chromium vs. Firefox: Which is Better? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/chromium-vs-firefox-which-is-better-4175524322/)

Geremia 11-04-2014 12:18 PM

Chromium vs. Firefox: Which is Better?
 
Which is better—in terms of plugin availability, speed, etc.—Chromium or Firefox?

I like Firefox because FlashGot and Zotero plugins are only available for it. I'm sure there are other good plugins that run only with Firefox.

Chromium is good because, at least on Linux, it supports the up-to-date Flash plugin pepperflash and can play Netflix movies.

yooy 11-04-2014 04:36 PM

speed - Chromium
plugin availability, features - Firefox


personaly i've used firefox for long time, and moving to Google would take some learning. For what?

metaschima 11-04-2014 06:29 PM

Firefox. I don't like Google or their products. What many people don't know is why Chrome is faster. It's because it uses much more RAM. People don't notice this with newer computers, but with older computers and less than 4 GB RAM and no swap the OOM killer will kill Chrome in a few minutes.

k3lt01 11-04-2014 07:24 PM

I prefer Firefox/Iceweasel it is marginally quicker on my laptop.
Chromium doesn't have pepperflash but Chrome does.
If I really needed Flash I would install Chrome.

Tadaen 11-04-2014 08:26 PM

Chromium is my goto browser. Don't even have Firefox on my laptop. Don't care that it eats ram. I have 8 gigs in this thing and have never passed 3 gigs used to date at any given time.

evo2 11-04-2014 08:41 PM

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geremia (Post 5264465)
Which is better—in terms of plugin availability, speed, etc.—Chromium or Firefox?

I like Firefox because FlashGot and Zotero plugins are only available for it. I'm sure there are other good plugins that run only with Firefox.

Chromium is good because, at least on Linux, it has a more up-to-date Flash plugin and can play Netflix movies.

Not really addressing speed or plugins here, but there are other things you might want to consider.

I primarily use Chromium but find it has "problems" with ajaxy features on some sites. Unfortunately I've not taken the time to try to understand these problems and revert to firefox for those.

The other issue I have with chormium is that if I hit the "dit" button on one of my posts here at LQ the page simply hangs...

Despite these issues I think one of the main reasons I persist with chromium is that it syncs flawlessly with chrome on my android devices, and I much prefer chrome on android to firefox on android.

Evo2.

frankbell 11-04-2014 09:03 PM

I sometimes use Firefox. I do not use Chrome.

I no longer trust Google.

evo2 11-04-2014 10:12 PM

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 5264688)
I sometimes use Firefox. I do not use Chrome.

I no longer trust Google.

OP is asking about chromium which is the OSS/Free part of Chrome, so you can use it without needing to trust Google.

Evo2.

k3lt01 11-04-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo2 (Post 5264703)
Hi,

OP is asking about chromium which is the OSS/Free part of Chrome, so you can use it without needing to trust Google.

Evo2.

The OP also thinks Chromium has flash but it doesn't although Chrome does.

jamison20000e 11-04-2014 11:16 PM

Tangent rant:
 
perhaps Chrome works better because a capitalist would say it's better to have than to have not (while blindly ignoring the have not$) Firefox is changing fast tho too but has many still 'Free' variants. If services like Netflix would get their heads out of there you know they could make more money\happy... :twocents:

evo2 11-04-2014 11:51 PM

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3lt01 (Post 5264713)
The OP also thinks Chromium has flash but it doesn't although Chrome does.

Ok, so perhaps OP actually means Chrome not Chromium. If so, fair call, I'd not install it on my Linux boxes either.

Evo2.

k3lt01 11-05-2014 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo2 (Post 5264724)
Hi,

Ok, so perhaps OP actually means Chrome not Chromium. If so, fair call, I'd not install it on my Linux boxes either.

Evo2.

I think the OP is a little confused.

Geremia 11-05-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3lt01 (Post 5264713)
The OP also thinks Chromium has flash but it doesn't although Chrome does.

with pepperflash, yes

Geremia 11-05-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaschima (Post 5264624)
What many people don't know is why Chrome is faster. It's because it uses much more RAM.

Is there a way to make Firefox use more RAM?

Possible answer to my question:

Perhaps setting browser.cache.disk.enable to false (it's true by default) and making sure browser.cache.memory.enable is true (its default value) will accomplish this.

sycamorex 11-05-2014 11:08 AM

FF for me on most devices. I have been using it for too long to switch for no reason.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.